Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Original Owners out there
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Any Original Owners out there Reply with quote

Meaning, any of you out there buy your vanagon from new and still own it to this day? and for follow up, What is the longest you have ever owned a VW? Any showroom pics would be cool also!

I have had almost 20 various VWs over the years, but have a real hard time holding on to them for more then five years. I guess I get bored with it and try something else out. I think my 61 DD Panel will pass my 5 year rule
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents bought my '89 vanagon GL new when I was 9 years old. They gave it to me as a graduation present when I finished college. I guess technically I'm not the original owner but I feel like I'm close enough to count. My mom still has her '68 autostick bug she ordered from West Germany right after high school.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive owned mine for 17yrs, my college professor owned it for first two years then got divorced and sold it to me so his wife wouldnt get it!
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...20 vans x 5 years per = 100 years old. That's impressive. ya' old coot.

My dream is to one day stumble across an old wharehouse that has row upon row of original 75-79 westy buses all lined up neatly,covered in dust and never driven a mile. Let's say 40 or 50 of them.

I would auction off a pile for charities and perhaps auction one for charity just here on the samba. The rest are mine (as he rubs his hands together lasciviously).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No longer have it but I had a '71 in the family from '71 to '99 and put 305,000 miles on it. Loved that bus, but no heat and a rusty frame (terminal cancer) made me put it out for organ donation. At least some of it likely still lives on. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this past spring i met a guy standing next to a vanagon broken down just up the rd. after talking a bit, and come to find out, he is the org owner, and has 2 more. one is a full camper, he bought all of them new. he is the one and only person, i have ever met that was the org owner. i told him about the samba and invited him to sign on. hey, Doc C you ever make it here Question sure would be nice to here about your vw vanagons.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I service a '90 Carat for the original owner. He needs to come to his senses sell it to me. Cheap.
In '88 and '89 I wanted a Jetta real bad, and went to the local (Santa Ana, CA) dealer often, just to look. I still have a mental image of the row of Vanagons, though I never stopped to look. Pity.
krusovice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the original owner, but it has been in the family since new. My dad bought it in 1984, and I got it from him this summer. So almost 25 years; or, as I like to tell my daughter (who is embarrased by the machine) 11 years older than you.
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an original owner; my 91 Carat, NavDog, has suffered my ownership since November 10, 1990, and has 173k+ showing on the odometer. Speedo cable broke for a year in 1996 when I lent him to a friend, so no idea what true mileage is.

I've slowly gotten better at maintaining/repairing, so I hope to keep NavDog until the wheels fall off. (Oops! Did I remember to peen the front hub nuts last week? Pray ).

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it...the only original thing i own other than my body is a larvae lamp...and i'm willing to sell it before it hatches.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbclayton wrote:
I'm an original owner; my 91 Carat, NavDog, has suffered my ownership since November 10, 1990, and has 173k+ showing on the odometer. Speedo cable broke for a year in 1996 when I lent him to a friend, so no idea what true mileage is.

I've slowly gotten better at maintaining/repairing, so I hope to keep NavDog until the wheels fall off. (Oops! Did I remember to peen the front hub nuts last week? Pray ).

thats cool. do you have any pics of when it was new?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents drove an 88 GL off the lot the year I was born. It was the faithful family hauler for 10 years or so until the engine died, so they parked it for 6 or 7 years in the back. Senior year in HS i brought her back from the dead. I'm now the pilot and she's around 178k(broken odometer too). I think of myself as an original owner.
Not a showroom pic, but here's me getting dropped off for kindergarten circa '95
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 91 Mult since new. It is now a Subygon.
djbside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax25 wrote:

Not a showroom pic, but here's me getting dropped off for kindergarten circa '95

As you were getting dropped off for Kindergarten... I was graduating High School... God I'm old... time to crawl out and die!
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djbside wrote:
madmax25 wrote:

As you were getting dropped off for Kindergarten... I was graduating High School... God I'm old... time to crawl out and die!

Whaa. I turned 30 and Garcia died___old Question
erhujoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: 91 Multi Auto Reply with quote

I have this blue Westy since brand new, a family of four taking the ribbon cutting trip to Yellow stone park had evacuated the campsite, the new westy blew the infamous fuel hose clamp and dumped a full tank of gas in the peak of forest fire alert time! We got lot of attentions that day. My children were 7 and 2 then and we still remember and laugh about this event today.

The beast is getting old but I'm one of those vw guy who just kept trying and would not give up. I never like using the mechanic unless I'm totally stuck and this site has provided a lot of valuable info. Thank you.

I just removed the throttle body with the intake boot, an overhaul in the comfort of being inside the house is much more fun. I'm planning to get it back on the road tomorrow to send off the last day of 2008.

Happy New Year to all.

JL
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lunchbox you rock'n there, Madmax?
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
What lunchbox you rock'n there, Madmax?

TaleSpin Cool...the wacky misadventures of a bunch of bears flying around in a PBY....Loved that show...

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my son used to watch that show. You're a couple years older than him. Damn...now I feel old.
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two White 1990 Carat's both purchased from the orig owner. Well sort of...

The first was from a guy who retired and was traveling with his dog up and down the coast surfing and died. I picked it up from his daughter who inherited it. She tried driving it for a while but did not want the memories of the bus.

The second was consigned by a widow who's husband also died shortly after retirement. She did not want the memories of the bus either. He was in the process of fixing everything on it and had a box of receipts.

My wife said I can"t have a Vanagon when I retire based on this track record...
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: