Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Spring Differences
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Brake Spring Differences Reply with quote

OK so I was doing the brakes on my 62 SC last night and I was using "new hardware" the four strong springs. Well, the new hardware is wrong. The springs look the same but the coil ends in the wrong place and the crossbar part of the spring is too high for the application; the drum rubs on it. Against my own will, I reused the old springs. Also, the old springs were pulled so tight, they are warped when I removed them.

Did Buses have bigger springs or do they really use these small ones?

Any tips on where to get the springs that have the crossbar against the backing plate?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the same problem on my 63. I also had to put the old springs on so they would not contact the drum. i think the springs sold are for 64 up as that what the parts maual states the application for. does anyone have a source for "old" front springs?
bikesnbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its the same "kit" I got of a regular VW guy on egay..When I complained about how poor it was,he said "I use them all the time".... Rolling Eyes Glad he doesnt work on my vehicles.I used 2 pieces and threw the rest out..TOTAL garbage...If you even have ANY second thoughts on a fit of a aftermarket brake piece,DONT USE IT!Its your brakes,you do tend to need them to work properly Very Happy Theres lots of god guys on here who have good used pieces available.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be a source.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WW replacement springs rub a bit on the center hub part of the brake drum. Glad to know it's not just my limited ability. I've had those fronts apart a half dozen times trying to get everything correct.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to flip the spring around, so the long section between the coils is on the top, instead of nearest the hub - worked for me.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
You can try to flip the spring around, so the long section between the coils is on the top, instead of nearest the hub - worked for me.

I had both of my new springs flipped like this, didn't work for me on either wheel.

Why can't they just make the spring correctly? There are a ton of early Buses out there, there has to be a source for the right springs.
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to reuse my old springs. The ones I got (I think from Bus Depot?) had the connecting part of the spring in the center, as opposed to the originals which are toward the backing plate....if that makes sense.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I had to reuse my old springs. The ones I got (I think from Bus Depot?) had the connecting part of the spring in the center, as opposed to the originals which are toward the backing plate....if that makes sense.

Yes, it makes perfect sense, that is what I was trying to explain earlier.

WTF is up with that, who has my NOS hardware kits
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Culito wrote:

Yes, it makes perfect sense, that is what I was trying to explain earlier.

WTF is up with that, who has my NOS hardware kits

You can use these springs with a little creative bending. Just bend the middle of the spring to clear the drum.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're talking about front drums, early originals (3/4-ton?) are bent and the late ones are straight. I've never seen NOS ones, but I do have some good used ones if you need some Ian.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: