Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Buzzer Mystery (Again)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Oil Buzzer Mystery (Again) Reply with quote

Ok, so i thought i had figured it out, but once again, that pesky f-ing oil light and buzzer comes on. Its the high pressure oil switch, nothing at all at RPMS below 2500 (or whatever the cutoff is). As soon as i hit the magic RPMS, it starts going off. This has been happening over the past few months numerous times, one time it just mysteriously starting going off, i checked the oil, it was fine, had no choice but to keep driving, and then half an hour later it sorted itself out. The next time it happened, i took it into the shop, they replaced the circuit board (or whatever its called in behind the speedo), and it was fine from then on. A few months ago, same f-ing thing, lights and buzzer, so i tore apart the dash, and somehow in the process, jiggled some wires and fixed it. So since then its been fine, until tonight, same issue again! arg.

Anyway so in my troubleshooting, i pretty much ruled out the sensor, since the buzzer keeps going off when i pull the wire from the sensor at the engine. So does this mean the wire is shorting out? Or can it be the control circuit again? The only way i got it to stop was to pull the black wire leading into the instrument cluster in the centre of the group of wires. This is just some sort of keyed positive wire from the ignition, so when i pulled this it also killed the fuel and temp gauges. And so right now im running with no warning lights and gauges, which is sketchy. If anyone has any suggestions, i would much appreciate it, because this is driving me crazy!!!!!!

thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Buzzer Mystery (Again) Reply with quote

Put the black wire back immediately! Pull the green wire instead! This will stop the high rpm alarm but let everything else work except the tach if you have one.

Mark

rfoubi wrote:
............The only way i got it to stop was to pull the black wire leading into the instrument cluster in the centre of the group of wires. This is just some sort of keyed positive wire from the ignition, so when i pulled this it also killed the fuel and temp gauges. And so right now im running with no warning lights and gauges, which is sketchy. If anyone has any suggestions, i would much appreciate it, because this is driving me crazy!!!!!!

thanks!
Dant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread I sort of hijacked at the end, check the last posts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Both of my wires from the senders had no continuity from one end to the other. I bared one of the wires in the middle, from there to one end, nothing! I couldn't believe it. Scraped insulation halfway from there, nothing again. I walked to the trash can and dropped it in.

I have also had no continuity from the connecter to the wire, right at where the insulation starts. It looked like it really should be fine, but again nothing.
91 Syncro (Stripped,Plain Jane,fixed vent windows,no tach) also rusty. Hurray for me!
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Buzzer Mystery (Again) Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Put the black wire back immediately! Pull the green wire instead! This will stop the high rpm alarm but let everything else work except the tach if you have one.

Mark

rfoubi wrote:
............The only way i got it to stop was to pull the black wire leading into the instrument cluster in the centre of the group of wires. This is just some sort of keyed positive wire from the ignition, so when i pulled this it also killed the fuel and temp gauges. And so right now im running with no warning lights and gauges, which is sketchy. If anyone has any suggestions, i would much appreciate it, because this is driving me crazy!!!!!!

thanks!
]

Ill try that, but i tried pulling each wire one at a time, and the only other one that stopped it (cant remember the colour) also killed the lights to the instrument cluster.

Last edited by rfoubi on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dant wrote:
Here is a thread I sort of hijacked at the end, check the last posts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Both of my wires from the senders had no continuity from one end to the other. I bared one of the wires in the middle, from there to one end, nothing! I couldn't believe it. Scraped insulation halfway from there, nothing again. I walked to the trash can and dropped it in.

I have also had no continuity from the connecter to the wire, right at where the insulation starts. It looked like it really should be fine, but again nothing.

Ok so im gonna test all the wiring, now im just wondering which wire it is at the dash end? Are there separate low/high wires leading into the dash, or is it a single wire? Without pulling the entire wire, id like to just bypass it with a new wire to reconnect and just see if this solves things. Thanks for the replies
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Buzzer Mystery (Again) Reply with quote

rfoubi wrote:

The next time it happened, i took it into the shop, they replaced the circuit board (or whatever its called in behind the speedo), and it was fine from then on.

So they went straight to the most expensive component, which happens to be the part least likely to fail. So far, so good....

Quote:
Anyway so in my troubleshooting, i pretty much ruled out the sensor, since the buzzer keeps going off when i pull the wire from the sensor at the engine.

Pure genius! So long as you're ignoring the fact that the hi-OP switch grounds its circuit when OP is above its setpoint, the opposite switching behavior of the low-OP standard idiot light switch.

So when you remove the wire from the hi-OP switch (the one under the water pump pulley), it guarantees that the buzzer will go off every time the revs go over 2k.

Quote:
So does this mean the wire is shorting out? Or can it be the control circuit again?

No, it doesn't mean squat. Back to square one.

Quote:
The only way i got it to stop was to pull the black wire leading into the instrument cluster in the centre of the group of wires. This is just some sort of keyed positive wire from the ignition, so when i pulled this it also killed the fuel and temp gauges. And so right now im running with no warning lights and gauges, which is sketchy. If anyone has any suggestions, i would much appreciate it, because this is driving me crazy!!!!!!

Yes, next step is to start yanking wires we don't know the function of. That's always worked for me!

Look, if you want to defeat the dynamic OP warning (the buzzer that sounds above 2k rpm), you want to ground the signal wire that goes to the hi-OP switch. You can ground it at the switch connector end, at the two-pin connector in the engine bay, or at the 14-pin connector to the instrument cluster.

But,you're always better off beginning by learning something about what you're dealing with. A little time searching and you might have turned up something like these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251094&highlight=dynamic+warning

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222130&highlight=dynamic+warning

Also, obviously you are dealing with a post-'85 van, but in future you'll get more replies and more accurate advice, and fewer funny looks, if you include the year/model in your posts, or add a sig line with your vehicles listed. There are numerous model changes in the production run, so year/model is an essential starting point.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry i wasnt more specific, 1987 vanagon, no tachometer if that makes a difference in the instrument panel. I realize i dont know what im talking about, and im glad that people like you, tencent that are really knowledgeable will pitch in their 2 cents, and i read your stuff in the other posts and it was super informative. I am trying to learn as i go along, and the only way is through experience, so just try and have some patience that i havent done 100 engines like you have, and i may ask stupid questions from time to time.

Ok anyway thanks for the replies regardless, now on to the troubleshooting. So if i take the high pressure wire at the engine, and ground it there, and the light/buzzer still go off, then it means the wire is shorting somewhere in between? Whereas if grounding it there solves the problem, then the problem is with the switch or the actual oil pressure. Im just trying to figure out how to test the system and figure out which component is the problem. Thanks
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if the wire was shorting somewhere in between then the circuit would be grounded and the buzzer would never sound. If you grounded the hi-OP switch wire and still get the buzzer, then you want to test for an open circuit between the controller board and the end of the wire. Check continuity from pin 12 on the 14-pin instrument connector and the 2-pin connector in the engine bay, yellow wire. If that checks out then test from pin 12 to the controller board in the speedo head. The wiring diagram says the board connector should be labelled "1.8" but I can't remember if they're so labelled; you can check it out.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will fix your particular issue.
I had this happening in an 86 Westy. Turned out that the crappy oil filter I put on was causing my oil light indicator to trip. I use Mann oil filters and have never heard it buzz again. Until it blew a head gasket in the middle of nebraska of course.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: