Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake adjuster leaf spring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwadd1ct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Brake adjuster leaf spring Reply with quote

I am working on the brakes of my 57 bus and have found that I have a broken brake adjuster leaf spring on one of my front backing plates. I cant find any information on how to replace or even where to find one. My guess is that it was rivetted or spot welded on originally. Are replacements sold anywhere?
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use pallet banding to make a new one. you can tack it on with a mig or drill and tap for a tiny screw like porsche.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some WW ones that fit a '53 bus.. think it was http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211609185a
Think 55-63 and 63-67 are different than the barndoor though.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
i use pallet banding to make a new one. you can tack it on with a mig or drill and tap for a tiny screw like porsche.

Thats a novel idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster leaf spring Reply with quote

Anyone have new info on this? I have a broken one too. Clara's link is for a type I. I searched WW and found nothing for a bus

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some once using a strip of sheet steel from the hardware store. I attached them using hollow aluminum rivets also from the hardware store. The rivets worked well, but didn't turn out real pretty. I was happy with the fix overall. This was for front brakes on a 64.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Pack wrote:
I made some once using a strip of sheet steel from the hardware store. I attached them using hollow aluminum rivets also from the hardware store. The rivets worked well, but didn't turn out real pretty. I was happy with the fix overall. This was for front brakes on a 64.

Is the one on the left the original? Mine are a little different, but what you made should work. Nice fabricating!

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
Is the one on the left the original? Mine are a little different, but what you made should work.

Yes, the left one is one of the unbroken originals on my bus.

Quote:
Nice fabricating!

Thanks. It was the first part I ever fabricated. It wasn't hard. You could make one like the one you pictured just as easy.

One thing is that I heated the spring to red-hot and quenched it in water because I had heard that this would make it more springy. I could not tell if it actually worked. A NOS one would be better. These are the only ones I've ever seen for sale:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=559959
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace one on my '63. I bought a used one off another Samba member who had a junk backing plate sitting around.

I attached it via the same hardware rivets seen above. No problems and I have at least a few thousand miles on it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjuster leaf spring Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
Anyone have new info on this? I have a broken one too. Clara's link is for a type I. I searched WW and found nothing for a bus

Yes, Barndoors use the same piece as the beetles.

For post BD, there is the 3/4 ton kind and the 1 ton kind, which is why the pics of those springs aren't the same.... one reaches for the adjustment stars from the side, the other from head on.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While replacing a leaky rear wheel cylinder on my '67 Bus and freshening everything up in there, new cylinders and a set of shoes on both sides, I noticed that one half of the adjuster spring leaf broke off on both sides (one adjuster star being held in place and the other not).

Okay, other than spending a lot of time trying to make some up from scratch, or locating and buying new or used backing plates in good condition, does anyone know of a source, either NOS, used or repro, of a quality replacement brake adjuster leaf/tension spring "correct" for the rear brakes on a 1967 era Bus?

I hear/understand that you can't really successfully weld spring steel to the cast housing metal (incompatible), that one could try to un-swedge the casting to remove the old and install the new spring and re-swedge, or drill small holes and hollow-rivet the replacements in. I plan to do the latter if I can locate a suitable pair of replacement leaf springs.

Does anyone have any ideas or can you direct me to a suitable fix? Thanks for any assistance! Really!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
that one could try to un-swedge the casting to remove the old and install the new spring and re-swedge

I've used a small chisel to push out what's left of the spring (push it to the left or right depending on which half of the spring is broken) and then I've used a chisel to open up the pean, clean it up with a file, and then have fabricated and installed new clips using the factory peans.

Sorry, I don't have a source for new springs, but they are easily fabricated.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg,

I hadn't thought of "punching" the remainer out to the side and THEN cleaning it up! I'll try that once I can find a source for the one ton leaf springs (it's a '67 Bus). Man, you'd think with all the 3/4 and one tonners out there with this problem, that someong would have repro'ed those springs, especially someone like Wolfsburg West or Ronnie or the like. I know I'll stock up on several sets if/once they are repro'ed!

Thanks for the tip Greg! Now, anyone else have a source for the leaf springs?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put the rear drums back on and buttoned everything up. I'll keep looking for the leaf springs, or if someone is fabbing them (in my case for a '67) in quantity and selling 'em too, pass the info along please. I'll just have to keep an eye on the adjustment stars occassionally until I can fix these broken leaf springs more permanently. I'm not much of a fabricator (yet).

I should have everything on my to-do list done in time to take this '67 to the Mid-America Funfest next weekend (June 5-7th) barring any surprises... Hope to see a few of you there.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the star is at all a normal fit it will back off quite quickly. You can bugger the threads of the thread part with a tiny chisel and it will thwart it from loosening then later get a good thread one when you finally get the cog spring.
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Well, I put the rear drums back on and buttoned everything up. I'll keep looking for the leaf springs, or if someone is fabbing them (in my case for a '67) in quantity and selling 'em too, pass the info along please. I'll just have to keep an eye on the adjustment stars occassionally until I can fix these broken leaf springs more permanently.

Bump this up six years...any new news on repros for our buses, or is it something we still have to buy used or fab?

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it amazes me that WW or another vendor with tooling and experience hasn't knocked out new leaf springs of all types for the vintage market so far. I'd stock up on several types for all of my fleet...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: brake leaf springs Reply with quote

Wwest sells the springs for bus..I just bought a set for all four wheels.Now installing them is another issue
kenshapiro2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm....talked to them a few hours ago and that wasn't the case.

Looking for '67 Engine / Block HO 183xxx - HO 194xxx
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a Mig, right? Get some steel pallet strapping from a warehouse near you, or in their dumpster. It's a thin spring steel that fits and works perfect. It takes 5 minutes, cut and grind a piece of pallet strap and tack it to the cast block the adjusters go into. I have some pics but can't find them, and it worked great.

The hardest part is finding steel pallet strap, much of it these days is FG.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: