Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon owner has problem parting with her van.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:

The really sad aspect that most have failed to pick up on this incident. Women can use deadly force if they perceive a danger to themselves. Men must be actually be physically harmed to respond in the same manner. Kind of 'Animal Farm' equality.

Some of the things you hear about are unbelievable. We recently had a local incident where a forty year old man stabbed a younger man just below the heart. The younger man removed the knife from his chest and killed his attacker. They tried the younger man for murder, and got a plea bargain out of him for a lesser sentence when the trial looked like it might not go in his favor. The judge on accepting the plea reprimanded him for loosing his temper while defending his life.

Apparently when someone stabs you in your chest within a half inch of you heart you are supposed to offer them tea.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She happened to have a small pair of scissors she uses for gardening, the blade only a couple inches long, in her vest pocket. She thought she had lost them until she put the vest on that morning.

Gardening scissors, eh?

I hope they didn't search her van too thoroughly.

There goes next week's grocery money!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
harmony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: I am the 'Harmony' in question Reply with quote

OK, so I"M THE Harmony from this incident. That's Harmony GATES, not BATES--no connection with Psycho, for those of you who remember that Hitchcock Thriller.

I had to join this site after my friend saw this thread, phoned me and send me the link. You have made my day! I have been ROTFLOL for the last 20 minutes reading your posts. My eyes are still teared with laughter!

Hey--the media never gets all of the details right. But who cares? I guess it's kinda important though, to know that this guy never PULLED HIS GUN on me. I'm not that stupid. He had the gun in a waist-belt. I never had my hand on the handle of the gun. I grabbed the barrel and twisted it into his body and delivered that (empty) but heart-felt threat.

I also told him, after he failed to respond to my threat, "I don't have time for this. Look, if you go right now,I will stop yelling and you can get away." Kind of an interesting twist, offering my attacker an opportunity to escape.

The scissors weren't gardening scissors, but a pair of small sewing Fiskars. I DO wish they had had longer blades. When I saw them on the passenger seat after the ordeal was over, they didn't show any signs of bloodiness. I was deeply disappointed, to say the least. But apparently even a small weapon, if used with full passionate force and confident commitment, can do the job. That's what made him give up on the idea of driving away in my 'precious' van.

I lived in that Van full-time for 1 1/2 years in Berkeley. It is irreplaceable, and sacred to me. I'm sure all of you can relate to that feeling. When the guy had the nerve to sit in the driver's seat and think he was going to take off in my van, well, there was no way. I felt righteous indignation.

Hey Levi, I'd love to sport that bumper sticker: "You can have my AW syncro when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."

feel free to check out my website:
BodyRide.net

I actually teach personal empowerment. Maybe not so surprising.

Also, here is the url of other media coverage of the event. None so funny as the ABC one.

NBC:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Woman_Makes_Mince_Meat_of_Carjacker_Bay_Area.html

ABC:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6578422

LA News:
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/us_world/NorCal-...ssors.html

Here's to Syncro and all VW owners everywhere. No, we are not normal folk. We're 'special' Very Happy

Cheers!

harmony gates

Owner of 'Spirit Rider'
'89 VW Adventurewagen Syncro

Last edited by harmony on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote you the best vw vangon owner of 08 Wink
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy probably heard the Syncro's are going for 100 grand over at Go Westy and figured thats the car to Jack !
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
RevKevin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:

I second that motion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* sighs at having post deleted *

To paraphrase one the best lines from the movie HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE,

Quote:
Moderators today, ain't got no spunk

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
harmony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chester,
They didn't remove it before I caught it! (photo with gesture, right?) (hope that's clean enough not to get bleeped!) I laughed down to my toes.

If I knew how to insert a photo I'd show you my purple face!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind." ~ Dr. Suess

[/img]
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmony,

I don't know what the Berkeley City Council is going to do about this but you get a free cup of Peet's from me anytime. If you're around the Vine Street store sometime this century, let me know (you can p.m. me via this forum).

We can make fun of the moderators over tea/coffee. They'll love that.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: 20,000 Vans Next to the Sea Reply with quote

What we really need is that gadget Captain Nemo had on the Nautilus... Just electrify the outer surface of the van the moment someone got cute.

And if we could do it on other cars when CATS got on them...

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I am the 'Harmony' in question Reply with quote

harmony wrote:

Hey Levi, I'd love to sport that bumper sticker: "You can have my AW syncro when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."

Owner of 'Spirit Rider'
'89 VW Adventurewagen Syncro

Give me an address to send it too. Wink
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harmony, welcome to TheSamba!

So glad you got through the ordeal unharmed. That guy got off easy! If it had been me, he'd still be clutching his *alls!

My Syncro may be giving me grief lately, but she's still my baby and I would go down fighting before anyone stole her! Evil or Very Mad

Hope you find the site useful and fun!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
harmony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: follow-up and moving on Reply with quote

thanks you guys are really great.
I got the karma card from RCB (really sweet) and Chester and I had coffee and chat at Peet's #1 in Berkeley, first in front of the store, and then in the infamous Syncro Van from this incident. I feel so supported by this community. And by the other communities I've become a part of here in the Bay Area.
Life is really Good! and I love that I have more of it to live!

warmly,
harmony
WesternMassRich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll teach him to mess with an older hippie chick driving a Synchro at a Whole Foods store hey ? NOTHING comes between a VW owner and their organic vegetables huh ? LOL !! GOOD WORK !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce job Harmony, i would have fought for that thing too, its a syncro high top camper!!, hes lucky he got away with his life-god bless you harmony and your van! Exclamation your lucky to have each other
Neo-Nomad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevKevin wrote:
devesvws wrote:

I second that motion.

here here Very Happy

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: