Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberine high top
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Fiberine high top Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures of the fiberine hightop. I emailed them today for pricing and pictures, and they were unable to send pictures since they don't produce the tops unless its a special order. I'm very interested in converting my van to a high top camper and the price isnt too steep, but I've no idea what the top will look like until I order it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-Kerry
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fiberine high top Reply with quote

The Fiberine looks like hell, nothing like an Adventurewagen top.

Mark

Kburns737 wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures of the fiberine hightop. I emailed them today for pricing and pictures, and they were unable to send pictures since they don't produce the tops unless its a special order. I'm very interested in converting my van to a high top camper and the price isnt too steep, but I've no idea what the top will look like until I order it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-Kerry
vanagon john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I have always liked high tops and would love to have the cash to get one myself. Go for it

peace
John
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for the front line. I really wished they'd followed the angle of the windshield up. But, I prefer the back over the anit-aerodynamic back of the adventure wagon top.

Andrew
Broke-again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get my hands on a Westfalia hightop. Those are my favorite by far.
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Rico at Fiberine and he said they would be interested in reproducing the Adventurewagen Hightops for the Vanagon community if they had the molds. Where are they (the molds) now?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zacamil7525 wrote:
I spoke with Rico at Fiberine and he said they would be interested in reproducing the Adventurewagen Hightops for the Vanagon community if they had the molds. Where are they (the molds) now?

TRADESIZE wrote:
you do realise westfalai made a 'mosaik joker' kit which was a kit to fit a westy roof to factory tin top vanagon. look at the pics on page 5 of this thread about RHD westy vanagons and you will see.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12861&PN=9

you cant get the kits anymore until now, I know a guy remaking them and I will be having one of the first ones on my bluestar vanagon. I am in the UK by the way!! all you need are these 2 parts which make a proper westy safety/support frame and a fibreglass section that makes your rear curved roof flat for a bed.. plus all your regular roof parts from your scrap westy roof. se link for parts:

http://www.t3-infos.de/images/Mosaik-Bett.gif

see info here for mosaik joker info:

http://www.t3-infos.de/t3-infos_f.html

I have seareched the whole of samba.com and this will be the first time the 'mosaik joker' roof kit has been mentioned. so there you go you DO NOT repeat DO NOT need the whole metal roof off the scrap van to graft onto yours to the gutters. I am not sure if fitting a 'mosaik joker' kit will effect your insurance, but I would have though not.

More great links regarding this topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117207
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204739
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=642600
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanagon_awmolds/page3/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285571&highlight=pop
http://members.fortunecity.com/greglyons/AdventureWagen/AdventureWagen.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Is that a Syncro by chance? Reason I ask is I sold a shop in CO an old Syncro I had here, after attaching a Fiberine roof to it. Same color too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top I bought years ago from Fiberine was a very poor fit and had HUGE warps in the sides -- like 2 inches warped along the length. Even after pried and installed as well as I could get it to fit, the warps were very noticeable. As Andrew mentioned, the front line (and rear, for that matter!) do not follow the Vanagon angles-- the front angle is more upright than the Vanagon windshield. From what I could gather, the top was originally designed off of one meant for a bay window van and expanded slightly to fit the Vanagon dimensions. The quality otherwise was good. I complained so loudly to Fiberine about the warps and poor fit that they eventually gave me half my money back. Never again would I buy that top. If they make something better fitting and more attractive, then maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the pictures and the links, helps put a face behind the fiberine name. Personally I dont think it looks half bad at all. Its definitely no AW top, but its better than I was expecting from looking at their tops for other vans and I think it'll grow on me. I'm just really sold on the high top camper and I think this is gonna be the only route to build one up, I shoulda just snagged that aw top from the yard in hayward but thats long gone now. It'll be nice to start with a new top as well, since I plan on building this on a very clean vanagon to start with. Anyone have any experience with the quality of construction for these fiberine tops? Also, the tops look pretty similar but like andrew pointed out theres a slightly different front line and the rear line is completely different, do you think it'll still get the great gas mileage that aw's are known for? In case anyone's interested heres a copy of the email they sent me regarding pricing, etc. :

Good Morning,

The top it self with none of the optinal items will that 2days
and if you add any of the items ill take around 4 days to make
and yes you could come and pick up the top here.

Thank you
Maribel
Fiberine

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 8:40 am
Subject: RE: Volkswagen Vanagon Top

Rico,
Sounds good and as far as shipping goes I'm located in southern california and I've got a trailer so I'd be able to pick it up from the plant, where is located at? About how long, would you estimate, it takes to make and have a top ready to sell? Thanks for the quick reply!

-Kerry

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Volkswagen Vanagon Top
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:15:37 -0500

A picture is going to be tough to find because production of that specific mold has been put to a stop. But we still have the mold out in the back of our yard. I'm still trying to find a pic for you though, as price goes here is the breakdown.

- 24" VW Vanagon Roof in a grey or white gelcoat........................ $975.00
- (Opitional) Inside Fiberglass Liner in a grey or white gelcoat......$400.00
- Trim Kit Black or White (ouside molding kit).................................$40.00
- Crating and packaging..............................................................$110.00
$1525.00
- Freight Charges go direct to you and depens where you are, we would be shipping out of our manufacturing plant here in california.

If you have any questions feel free to reply or call.

Thank you,
Rico
Fiberine Div of G.V.M.R. Inc.
310-830-1881

-Kerry
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulda double checked before I posted, missed your last post there Karl. Thats a shame about the warped top. I'll definitely have to ask them about some kind of guarantee or customer assurance since they won't produce the top till I pay them and I don't want to be paying for an unknown sum if they have a less than kosher history of quality control. Makes me want to try and just build my own top, at least I'd know exactly what I was getting and I'm sure with enough time, research and patience, it wouldnt be too bad, in fact I think I remember reading about some else thinking of doing the same thing, I'll have to look for the post.

Kerry
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the warping issues that Karl has experienced would be a bummer. if I spent a grand + for a new top, and it had major warping, that would be a deal breaker for me.

if they could do a good quality production of AW tops, that would be great. If I could get a quality AW top, I would be tempted to replace my 2wd Westy with a Syncro van and turn it into a Syncro AW. I have lusted after that set-up for a while.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these roofs:
http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/ENGLISH/Campingbus/campingbus.html

I'm totally gonzo for one of the higher versions. If anyone reading this would be game to place an order for multiple units, I'd bet we could convince them to crate the roofs and ship directly to a US port. Jaeger, I'm pretty sure, doesn't actually stock the roofs but is merely a sales point and the roofs are shipped directly from SCA. AND, with the current great exchange rate (1 Euro = $1.30) the price is good too. Better quality, perfect fit.

IMHO, the Fiberine roof is just plain Fugly and fits too poorly to make in into the running. I also have pics of a roof a friend built from scratch in interested--a huge undertaking though!
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good deal.....I have seen it on CL a for a while and now on Ebay....dont know why its not getting more interest? If I had the scratch, I would grab it.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___Great...240%3A1318

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, you're right, those tops are the bees knees, man I'd kill for one of those, how many do we need to place an order, I'm game! Wonder how much it'd be to ship it to california. That thing is even cooler looking than the aw top. I've got the cash sitting around for one, who else is game? And oh yeah, just out of curiosity, I'd be very interested in seeing some of those pictures of the top your friend made, if its not too much trouble.

Mike, I've seen that one on ebay, definitely a good deal, but I've got a very low mileage engine and a tranny I just rebuilt ( 3/4 shifter hub failure) that are housed in a very beat up vanagon. I'd like to just buy a clean van with a blown engine and swap in my drivetrain, and also the westfalia interior, slightly modified, thats currently in my van, and stick a high top on that. Seems like the perfect custom job for not too much dinero.

Kerry
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sca-daecher.de/Site/content/x=1600&y=1200&tag=&track=41&bg=home

Very Happy

I think for it to be worth the effort of SCA, we'd probably need at least ten orders. But that's just a guess. Eurovan folks too?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my favorite high-top design I've seen.

I might be interested in one depending on timing and cost with shipping.

Andre
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you could even sit up in the SCA tops.

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
It looks like you could even sit up in the SCA tops.

33" tall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: