Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket remote oil cooler?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Calderone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket remote oil cooler? Reply with quote

I was thinking about adding an aftermarket oil cooler off of my full flow system and wanted to know if anyone else has done this and where they mounted it. Its getting hot out and any extra help cant hurt.

Thanks Chris
jerry.t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one on my oval, i put it on top of the trany. but with a bus
there is alot more room below and i think there should be no problem
putting it somewhere around the torsion housing.

OGST

SBS #43

(14:39:50) Pintobean: i came out of the shower... cats were freaking out... i
69_Jim: I actually made girly noises as I was laying on the ground

VWSwap: I'm gonna post all over there...leave my DNA all over the place...make 'em bust out their black lights. Jerks.
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get one with the fan on it and it can get air

i said its worth buying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place is between the outrigger frame rails. You can run hard line
between the cooler and engine instead of long pieces of hose or braided line. And yes, get a fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RMJ66Dlx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend it. I bought a Perma-Cool with fan and thermostat from Summit racing for my 9.5:1 2017cc. I'm sure it added years to the life of my engine.
Chris Calderone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

Did you ever run the same motor with out a cooler? What temp did it run at?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I`ve always ran a cooler with anything bigger than a 1600. But with the fan running it`s at least 10 or 15 degrees cooler than without.
dormatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I am running a cooler with a fan on my 65 bus I mounted it in front of the heater intake under the gastank shelf on the driver side it works great I am also running a 2165 so I need the cooling it stays about 180.When I climb a hill totaly loaded down with 4 people and all of out camping gear it gets up to 200. Make sure you have a fan with the cooler and get a temp gauge
Chris Calderone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

thanks to everyone for the info. I will have one in the couple of weeks, and lots of great ideas on install places
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are avoiding the real issue.
why is your bus gettin hot enough to need a remote oil cooler?
do you have a giant motor?
If you are over heating then you dont need a remote oil cooler , you need to fix your motor.
It gets hot out , i understand this, but if you maintain your bus and keep all the cooling tin on and things adjusted you souldnt have a problem

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlesquared wrote:
I think we are avoiding the real issue.
why is your bus gettin hot enough to need a remote oil cooler?
do you have a giant motor?
If you are over heating then you dont need a remote oil cooler , you need to fix your motor.
It gets hot out , i understand this, but if you maintain your bus and keep all the cooling tin on and things adjusted you souldnt have a problem

He's exactly right. Even large engines don't need coolers if configured properly. For instance, I have a 2270cc Type 4 that runs the stock oil cooler, no problem.
If anything a bone stock 1600 or a engine with 92mm cylinders would need an oil cooler in a Bus.

Sudden loading (passing) = Hotter heads
Continous loading = Hotter oil (downshift to 3rd or back off on the throttle)

Good timming goes a long way toward keeping tempatures cool, a kin to a good camshaft and well desined heads. But you're probably not hot rodding your bus.
A normal oil cooler is useless unless it has a fan that is Ducted... An Air - Oil cooler (mesa style) is the most ineffecient heat transfer, so the more air you can get and the more you can focus the air, the cooler the oil will be. A Setrab cooler is best, as used by nascar and can be found on ebay.
-Bobby
Chris Calderone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

I have no overheating problems at all, but I do drive 75mph all the time with a low compression 1776 and since Im not a broke kid anymore I have no problem adding anything extra that will aid in a cooler running motor. I have had alot of buses and never ran any extra cooling but I figure it cant hurt
taos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: after market remote oil cooler Reply with quote

I have a cooler mounted between frame rails. Any speed above 50 runs 200 degrees in 90-100 degree weather. Before cooler 260! 1776,044 heads, 7.5:1 cr,two barrel progressive. May need to change jet to run alittle rich. Oh yeah, aluminum case.

67std
55nomad
Chris Calderone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats exactly my point, its just going to help it run cooler and thats all Im after. years ago I ran the scoops on the side for a trip to L.A. and those lowered temps 10 to 15 degrees on the freeway but I wont do that now since it looks so crappy.
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an external oil cooler will help a bunch, but.... Don't over look the fact that your Bus was designed to have a smaller engine. Bigger carbs, wider cooling fan, higher rms... all that requires more air. More importantly you might think about getting more air into/avaliable for the engine compartment. Dual carbs, etc.. will rob air from your cooling fan. Here's an article to check out..

http://www.cal-look.com/tech/keepingcool.shtml

There are simpler ways to get air in the engine compartment.. but don't over look that as a reason for higher engine temps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ran all kinds of motors in bugs and never used/ needed an external oil cooler. I built an all new/mild 1776 for a 61 bus with a straight axle kit and it ran 240+ and would keep running on after shut down on long trips. I jetted it properly, I could go on and on about what I did. I installed a cooler in my full flow and fixed MY problems. 200-215 now, no run-on ect. Just my exp.
Lou V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Here is a great one to bring back from the dead 5 years
I bought a bus with a duel port 1600 with the stock cooler blocked with a after market cooler over the hole in back of the fan shroud and a external filter in the engine campartment. or should I replace the after market oil system and put on a stock cooler. It has a after market carb to but runs good? any tips? its my shasta bus so I want relieable. It has a deap sump but I'm going to remove for shasta!
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it off the shroud.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search you'll find that way back in '04.... OOOOPS!!! Shocked

This is the '04 thread!!! Embarassed

FWIW, I have a cheap old school 8-pass cooler in the corner opposite the battery, with a hacked opening under it and a small electric fan sucking air out from under it. I've ran with it and had bypassed it and ran without it. Found to be no noticeable difference in oil temperature. However, I still run it just for the added capacity as the more oil the better IMO. Last year I modified the doghouse cooler to accept the fatter one (T-3?) and THEN I saw a considerable difference in the temperature! Surprised

Running a 1.5 sump, real filter, extra cooler, and all the hoses to hook it all up, my oil capacity is 6 quarts! Whaterver you do, at the very least reinstall a stock doghouse cooler. If you want to full flow it and add this that or the other, it's quite okay to add but do not replace the stock cooler!!! Wink
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get your coolers out of your engine compartments, they need cool air to pass thru them to do their job, all they are doing now is sitting in a nice warm room heating up !!! Shocked plus your making your oil pump work a little harder pumping oil way up to keep them full, with coolers and filters mounted low, your oil system is less likely to drain back into the crank case, and have no air in the extra lines when you first start up your bus
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: