Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLKWRK's build
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: CLKWRK's build Reply with quote

Hello,

I figured its time time to start a build thread for my 2nd ghia as I will probably need some help from some of the experts here on this forum.
spring 07 I picked this 71 ghia up in Buffalo NY, imported it into Canada and had it on the road a week later, looking kinda ratty but driveable.
overall it was pretty solid, og irish green paint, good pan, rockers have some pinholes, rusty rear quarters and numerous dents. It was an autostick with 80,000miles on it.

This fall I pulled it off the road to adress its numerous body issues, right now the pan is off and the body is on horses. by spring it should be ready for paint (fingers crossed)

The plan is to media blast the whole thing and paint it wet black and keep all the stock chrome and lights, 911 instrumentation, 911 seats, black headliner, door cards and carpet. I have a tripple black 1981 911sc and I love the look, I figure that it would look good on a ghia too.
I have the engine already built, its a 2332cc turbo efi type 1, I am still looking for a transmission but I will probably get a beefed up type 1 irs unit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres a link to more early pics:

http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr94/projekt143...ly%20pics/

pics of the build:

http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr94/projekt143...storation/

Cheers, Bryan

Last edited by CLKWRK on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:42 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be anxiously waiting.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update,
Made some progress with the gage install this weekend, grafted the 911 dash face into the ghia dash. I had a problem while moking it up though, the back of the radio was hitting the wiper motor.
http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr94/projekt143...C01488.jpg
after staring at it for an hour I decided to grab an old golf mk1 motor (not as fat as ghia motors) and rotate it to clear the radio (bottom one in the pic).
One added bonus too, intermittent wipers.
I think that it will still work regardless of where it is indexed on the bracket...right?
http://s473.photobucket.com/user/projekt143/media/...2&o=37
Clearly inspired by Bader Racing's 993 ghia Wink
Bryan

Last edited by CLKWRK on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good!!!

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewarner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great project - are you located in Toronto?

pm me if you still have the Autostick tranny - I have a 68 Ghia with AS and would like to keep a spare around just in case

Cheers
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you re-index the linkage to the new position of the motor it will be fine. Is that just a mk1 motor on a ghia linkage/pivot, or is it an entire mk 1 assembly?

What are the suspension plans?
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autostick stuff is still available except the tanks, I want to use them for my dry sump. I would trade it all for a superbeetle 4spd tranny (has only one side cover) if you have one handy.
Make me an offer, I want them gone as I dont have much space.
Thats a ghia linkage and bracket with an 84 gti motor, the shafts seem to rotate the same as the ghia motor when I power it up.

Suspension plans are:

Bilstein 356 shocks
whiteline front sway 22mm
stock width adjustable beam
cb drop spindles
adjusters in the rear, stock torsion bars
rear bugpack sway 24mm i beleive
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last weekend I was at it again, did some sandblasting on the shell and some pan surgery.
http://s473.photobucket.com/user/projekt143/media/...2&o=41
clutch tube and two 3/8" fuel lines for the efi are going in.
http://s473.photobucket.com/user/projekt143/media/...2&o=57
I am setting up the clutch tube here, the part that couples with the clutch tube seems to have an agressive bend to it, I wonder if this will be ok?
btw, more detailed pics of the carnage can be found at the top of this thread at the "pics of the build" link

Last edited by CLKWRK on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going with a super beetle trans this time?

If I recall, your other car has a 901?
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the stock ghia tranny but I have my hooks into a supertanny. Its true the other car has a 901, I was fed up with the shift pattern and I diddnt want to modify the pan. I will probably need to beef up the tranny before dropping the turbo engine in.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

between last weekend and this weekend I got the clutch tube welded in, welded in the patch panel for the DS rear pan, new fuel lines in, holes in tunnel welded up, first coat of por-15 and seam sealed.
New heater chanels came in, they look nice but are pre welded together. I am open to any suggestions on rust prevention as these are the most rust prone parts. I think I will be sandblasting off the primer that came on them and zinc coating them before a liberal por-15 coating. I also have some por-20 (high temp por) but I dont think they will get that hot even though the heater channels used to burn my hands.
I am thinking that coating the inside with por-20 might help keep the heat inside and not transfer to the body so much, kinda like a ceramic type coating.

http://s473.photobucket.com/user/projekt143/media/...2&o=65
Bry

Last edited by CLKWRK on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I was at Princess Auto they had some undercoating wands in the compressor area of the store. They were probably 2ft long, with a nozzle on the end. I believe they attach to an undercoating gun. I doubt they produce a nice smooth finish, but I bet it would do a good job of coating the channels with POR. You could probably use it to spray Metalready prior to the POR.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea, but luckily they havent been installed yet so I can try to shove my baster nozzel in there as far as i can and take the crappy primer off then blow out the sand, cap off all holes, slosh some metal ready around in there, let it dry then slosh some thinned out por-15.
It will be messy Very Happy
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the sawhorse type jack stand you have the body on? I am needing some inexpensive stand system for my body off and that looks pretty easy and cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are just plain sawhorses, the body its self was light enough for two people to lift so there was no need for any elaborate lift system.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started reassembly,
http://s473.photobucket.com/user/projekt143/media/...2&o=66
I had a problem with the shift rod, turns out that my shift rod needs to be 45 3/16" long, not 43" like the one i bought from cip.
I ended up cutting it and putting an adjuster in it, I am still not sure what happened there. Eventually I would like to find the right shifter rod for this application.
Also tore down, blasted and painted the beam

Bry

Last edited by CLKWRK on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Bad Karma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you order a ashift rod for an Auto-Stick or a manual trans? They are different sizes.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the standard size which was 3cm shorter than my autostick one, the autostick one was 1cm too short to begin with.
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D711%2D155%2DG

I was trying to re assemble my beam last night and I realized that I made a stupid mistake when I was welding in my adjusters.
The adjusters are indexed wrong, that means I will have to cut them out and reweld them back properly.
The stupid thing is that I should know better, I have done many of these before, its just that I havent needed to weld in adjusters in a while and forgot how to do them right.
Anyways I have to redo it Mad
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats hot man
I snagged a 911 oil gauge
I was thinking of going your route, but I hate cutting. Going with this instead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

awesome build
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIP is wrong. That is a 73-79 shift rod, not a 68-79.

1973-1979 T-1
manual - 43 1/2"
autostick - 43 1/8"

1968-1972 T-1
manual - 45 1/8"
autostick - 44 5/8"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: