Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Cooler
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLK550
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Oil Cooler Reply with quote

Is it possible to install a '71 and later offset oil cooler on a 36hp with modifications to the rear of the fan housing?

Thanks!
DLK550
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I do not think you can. it would sit outside of the 36hp shroud and you would have to hack the bottom left side to clear the cooler mount.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baked beetle wrote:
no I do not think you can. it would sit outside of the 36hp shroud and you would have to hack the bottom left side to clear the cooler mount.

Plus it would be too wide.
--Dan
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

You have a couple of other options. You could purchase a used late model 356 aluminum cooler on eBay, or one of the new super duper light weight coolers from NLA Parts. The used cooler will be much less expensive ($50 vs. $400) , but the one from NLA will be much lighter, and therefore much less likely to crack your block.

Paul

Richard Feynman
the.fordhams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get one of those Okrasa repro oil cooler line kits - pics are here on the Judson UK forum, its basically a copper oil line that attaches to the feed or return line on a bypass filter, it then routes over the top of the shroud to use the air entering the fan to cool the oil lines. Nice quality.
67 SO42 welding project
03 Eurovan Weekender
08 Touareg 2 V6

WANTED :
Bob King VW dealer Wilmington NC dealer tag surround and any Literature for 03 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I edited out the link provided on the post above as Stephane who used to produce the Okrasa Cooler, does no longer. Confused

I still carry the page on my site (accessable if you have the url) although all links from within the site have been removed.

Why do I keep the page...I live in hopes that he will be serving the community reliably in the future...although there is no sign of that at the moment.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vintage oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be running hot. There are a couple of ways to cool down the motor. One way is to remove the gravel screen on the stock oil cooler. This will allow more air to pass through the oil cooler. The other option is to replace your deck lid with a convertible deck lid. I did both of these and my 1300cc Okrasa runs 10 to 15 degrees cooler.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just buy one of the aftermarket 36horse style shrouds with the doghouse provisions. I believe in Jake Rabys testing he found they werent as bad as some of the other aftermarket shrouds out there. You would have to modify it to accept the flaps and stuff though....
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"aftermarket 36hp style shrouds" do not fit on 36hp engines. They actually are aftermarket early 40hp 'non fresh air heater' shrouds. Try to put one on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: