Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So couldn't I do that with all the studs? OR did someone already suggest that?
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
So couldn't I do that with all the studs? OR did someone already suggest that?

:rolleyes:

Yep, thats what I was getting at Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy Laughing
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've been sick for three days here. I'm a little slow!

That said, what about the pickup tube. I found a green bearing retainer at the hardware store. It's not 518, but it may do the job. I also got my two junk cases to see if I can get the tubes out. But if I can't get the current tube out, is it really an issue?
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOOPS!

Sump stud is M6 x 1mm not 1.25.

My bad. Sad
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
Hey, I've been sick for three days here. I'm a little slow!

That said, what about the pickup tube. I found a green bearing retainer at the hardware store. It's not 518, but it may do the job. I also got my two junk cases to see if I can get the tubes out. But if I can't get the current tube out, is it really an issue?

er...... dunno bout loctite n stuff

if the tube doesn't come out and fits nice and snug, it's not really a problem. you just need to make sure that the pick up tube cowling (for want of a better phrase) is sealed around the tube. Looks fine in your little video.

If you're that worried about the fit, er..... block one end and suck! see if it leaks Very Happy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
I ran into the ol' loose tube/brand new case thing again. It wiggles, but I can't get it out.

Link

Would it be better to pull the plug to the right of the pump and swedge it? I would have to find my 1/2" NPT tap and something to plug it with. Can I just bolt it down good?

The other thing is my Scat sump. I was given 6 Allen bolts, with one being longer, presumably for the tube bracket. The thing is, I don't see how to get that long one in there, AND thread the nut on when the case is closed. It's obvious now, when I could just install the sump on one case half, thread the nut, then install the other half, and the remaining Allen bolts. Can I just leave the stock long stud in place and bolt it down with a nut on the long one and five Allen bolts?

Ok, I just saw this thread and my advice is simple.....take that pick up tube out, throw it in the garbage and never look back. The pick up tubes that come with new cases are completely worthless. Have you ever held up a new one next to an original German one? No comparison. I sell them for $15. I replace them in every case I sell and every engine I build for no extra charge. Using the original German tubes eliminates all the problems. And let me make this perfectly clear, it's not that I prefer to use the German tubes, I refuse to build an engine with that crap Brazilian tube installed. As for the deep sump, I always leave one long 6mm stud in with a nut tightening down pick up tube(I use a nylock 6mm nut with red loctite) and use the 5 allen head head bolts to attach from the outside. I have never had a nut come loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I use a nylock 6mm nut with red loctite.

Good skills. Practically welded on Smile

didn't notice it properly before but that tube is far from straight. you'd never get your oil strainer in the sump on properly without your extension leaking.

My pick up tube is still fixed with the short OEM fixing but the sump has the hole drilled to take a sleeve bolt. Thats an M9 bolt drilled and tapped to fit over the M6 stud
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
didn't notice it properly before but that tube is far from straight. you'd never get your oil strainer in the sump on properly without your extension leaking.

Good eye Smile . I noticed that but was going to save it for later, depending on if I could swap tubes with my junker cases.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. This just got stupider. First of all, I got it out, after a LOT of persuasion. Second, yes, the thing is bent. Rather, is was brazed on crooked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I gave it the blow test, where I plugged the oil pump inlet with a finger and blew into the other end. It would only leak in certain positions, but when I bolted it down, it didn't leak. I then administered the suck test, whereby I placed a finger over the pump inlet and sucked the other end. I couldn't build up vacuum in the new case (probably leaking), but on one of my junkers, I could (nice little pop when I let go). I concluded that my new pickup tube both blows and sucks, at the same time.

Furthermore, both of those junkers I have are singleports, so the tube is a smaller diameter than the new one.

One option I see is to cut and re-weld the umbrella part, so that my extension tube lines up with the strainer in the sump. Then apply some bearing and sleeve retainer and press it back in and hope for the best.

Second is the same as above except pull out the galley plug and swage it in place.

Third....so Roy, you got any in stock?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd wrote:
Third....so Roy, you got any in stock?

If Roy doesn't have any, CB always does. Roy's a lot closer to you than CB is though, so you'll get what you order a lot faster.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
venomous-67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a german pickup, its a much better fit.
I also weld a washer on the hook which go's under the fixing bolt.
It never let me down.
The one I got with the case from CB is a tube like yours, its now on the shelf to gather dust Laughing
Rockstar Suzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, I just saw this thread and my advice is simple.....take that pick up tube out, throw it in the garbage and never look back. The pick up tubes that come with new cases are completely worthless. Have you ever held up a new one next to an original German one? No comparison. I sell them for $15. I replace them in every case I sell and every engine I build for no extra charge. Using the original German tubes eliminates all the problems. And let me make this perfectly clear, it's not that I prefer to use the German tubes, I refuse to build an engine with that crap Brazilian tube installed. As for the deep sump, I always leave one long 6mm stud in with a nut tightening down pick up tube(I use a nylock 6mm nut with red loctite) and use the 5 allen head head bolts to attach from the outside. I have never had a nut come loose

x2
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

]

So, What is the "best" option for attaching a deep sump as far as hardware goes? Using the one long stud and the 5 allen bolts; or using 6 long studs and using loctite? And do you loctite the 5 allen bolts into the case? It kind of seems like the same thing as far as putting torque on the case threads, but using studs would have two places to fail. I like the bolt option, but with the tube already in place I don't think that's an option.

I'm probably worrying too much about this, but I have my case apart and want to do this right the first time. I have a GB 1 1/2 quart sump, but came with no hardware (used, old style I think).

Joe
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy hooked me up yesterday. The difference is night and day. I mean, they could have at least brazed it on centered and straight.

Other pic for reference.

It does rotate in the case, but I was worried about the side to side and up/down movement. A little cleanup and some sleeve retainer and I think I'll be back in business.
Thanks, Roy!

Last edited by Sigurd on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

If using a Berg sump, you need to use their hardware to install (special shouldered bolts).
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another pickup tube issue + Scat sump Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
If using a Berg sump, you need to use their hardware to install (special shouldered bolts).

I looked on their site and figure I have their old version.....the holes in the sump measure 6.30mm.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: