Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ladies & Men: Do you like it on Top or Bottom?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely use the bottom for sleeping. There are three reasons....

1) Here in BC, Canada it's damn cold most nights, so you need the xtra warmth provided by the insulation of the bottom area.....and we like to spoon our Mexican mutt (that's the dog) between us when its really cold. The dog can't make it up top.

2) We have taken the top bed right out of the westy, so we can store all of our windsurfing gear in there. It fits like a charm. Surfboards slide in there nicely too.

3) Perhaps the most important reason we choose the bottom to sleep has to do with privacy. If things get a little randy, rowdy and loud (ahem), the bottom provides us with the noise buffer we need to prevent disturbance of the other campers in the area. As well, sleeping (ahem) up top will result in the van being more prone to heavy rocking, and then there is the possibility of the roof collapsing on us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanval wrote:
Which board games need ice?

You take a piece of ice and stick it in the Ohhh nevermind.....
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Memory foam Reply with quote

I'm a cheapskate. The Go-Westy memory foam for the top bunk is just too much $$ for me. Any tips on who has some for a reasonable price? And what kind of foam do I actually need and what is the max thickness that fits & lets the top still close easily. Thanks.

PS Tip from the wet Northwest. Take out the upper pad in the winter if you're not camping. Air circulation cuts down on mildew on inside of top. A weak bleach solution in a spray bottle does a good job of getting rid on the green fungus. Spray, let sit for 5 minutes, then damp sponge it away. Just do it on a warm day, wear protective goggles & a respirator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tosu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: up top Reply with quote

First year we went to Mexico, slept downstairs, second year upstairs, much better. bought memory foam from wally world and the minor gymnastic just helped with the yoga. Second year a porta pot was also a really good addition (but not for the heavy stuff) unless your companion takes a walk till the air clears.
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Memory foam Reply with quote

[quote="Microbusdeluxe"]I'm a cheapskate. The Go-Westy memory foam for the top bunk is just too much $$ for me. Any tips on who has some for a reasonable price? And what kind of foam do I actually need and what is the max thickness that fits & lets the top still close easily. Thanks.=quote]

Hi Microbusedeluxe:

I added a 3" memory foam topper to the bottom bunk...Uber comfort when camping!!!! Check out Overstock.com for some great deals.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Memory-Foam/M...ubcat.html

I think I got mine for around $90...no need for any special covers for the foam, like GoWesty sells. You can just throw a light blanket or sheet over it before making up your bed...however you sleep! When the lower bed is not in use, I just fold it up and keep it in the rear cargo area. Yes, it takes up a bit of space, but it is worth it to me.

My neighbors bought one for their upper bunk hoping that it would replace the OG foam. That did not work out for them. You really need the density of the OG foam for support + the memory foam topper for comfort. I have no idea what size you could easily keep up top on a permanent basis. Worst case scenario, you could roll it up tightly and store below in a duffle bag until ready to use.

One more thing about memory foam...all brands are not created equally. There are different qualities/grades of foam. Do your research for a product that will last and suit your needs. Here are some sites that might be helpful to you!

http://www.healthyfoundations.com/memoryfoammattress.html

http://www.memoryfoam.com/v/memory_foam_toppers/memory_foam_density.htm

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the GoWesty pad was expensive too. Luckily for me, my garage/shop is full of old used VW stock parts and racing parts. I have been selling them off here and on fleebay. GoWesty accepts paypal, so it is like turning junk into quality things I can use for my Westy. I feel fortunate that despite the economy we are still able to outfit our Vanagon when needed. While GoWesty seems to have a "premium" retail price, I have been very satisified with each purchase. They seem to have done their homework. The pad folds up and fits behind the folded upper bunk. The top closes fine. It also has a washable cover that happens to match the canvas top and the OE pads. On top for us.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When camping with the family, the stepdaughter got the top bunk, the wife the bottom, and I got to sleep in the tent outside. Rolling Eyes

When camping alone, I found the top bunk to be more comfortable than the bottom (or the tent).
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fiancee always sleeps with me on the bottom... unless we are taking off early in the morning, in which case we pack everything up and just need to get up, jump downstairs, un-pop the pop top and settle into the cab area for "driving mode."

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I always sleep up top. We have too much stuff in the back to want to move it all somewhere else every night. We have a ladder (GoWesty) for climbing up and that works fine for trips downstairs in the middle of the night. Really tall people might not like the top.

The upper pad we have been trying to supplement. We use an extra foam pad sometimes and lately have been trying eggcrate foam pads. Might stick with them and sew a cover to hold both. Also tried memory foam in place of the stock foam, but not enough cushion by itself. Tried ensolite with it and that wasn't a winner either.

We have and recommend the three-window tent. You can watch the sunrise without doing more than opening your eyes. And then you can close them again!

Regardless of what pad we use, we sleep better in the van than usually at home. (Unless we have to put up with noise from an interstate highway.)

1989 GoWesty Camper-2.3 L engine-9% higher ratio AT
1999 Subaru Forester
1989 Toyota 4WD Truck
krimpoo
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind folks that foam has a half life. After some years it starts to give off shitty chemicals that arent to good for ya'. Gotta' replace that stuff if ya' dont have a cover on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: