Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Access Under Dash Grounds ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: How to Access Under Dash Grounds ? Reply with quote

Trying to clean my grounds in back of the dash. Dropped down fuse box and I can hardly see them up in there, it is mighty tight squeeze for my big mitts. I also removed the instrument cluster to see if I could reach in from there, no dice. How did you access yours ? The little plate on the outside of the dash (Bentley. page 70.6, figure 70-377) will it come off with the three screws ?
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try popping out the air vent on the front of the dash. That will give you a little better access.

82 Diesel Westy
riosclass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some pics when you get in there, maybe I'll attempt it too. I am wiring my stereo to my auxiliary battery so I am in there today too!!!
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try removing the instrument cluster and come in from the top. That's how I get to mine (and other wires/cables/etc.). Lots of room.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any really easy way in there with the dash still in place.

Coming down through the instrument cluster opening, it is difficult to reach.
I did mine with a headlamp on, looking up after pulling the main fuse box down as far as I could.

If that side dash wall piece could come off, that would be perfect, but I don't think you can remove it without pulling the front/top of the dash as well.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should give a little more info on what worked for me. Remove the air vent from the front of the dash and push the tube out of the way and you can reach right in. Remove the top vent so that you can look down at what you're doing. If you need light, aim from the cluster area with the top off. I didn't drop the fuse box. I did this just yesterday to change out some connectors and add two more grounds. Very Happy

pic from above
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pic from front air vent
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

82 Diesel Westy
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found that if I removed the mounting bracket that's around the fuse box, I was able to push the fuse box a bit more out of the way. At that point I was able to reach up from under the dash and pull off each ground wire with a pair of needle nose. I then noticed the two crowns were held on with a phillips head screw. I was able to get a small 4" ratchet with a phillips tip on it, to take the crowns out for a better cleaning than I could do with them under the dash. Home Team, I tried to get that vent out but I could not press the 4 tabs on each corner at the same time to release it, did not want to force it to much and break that 25 yr. old plastic. Sheesh, I already had the instrument cluster out to try and fix a couple of lights as well. It did not look like get to them from up top, I will look closer when I put them back after cleaning. I have a light swinging free behind the heater control sliders. I must have knocked it loose when I put in the CD player last fall. Is that a light bulb holder I see on the plate for the heater control sliders ? Its really hard to see, I had to look in through the windshield. Riosclass, It is dark now but before I put it all back on Monday I will take some pics and see if I can post them up for you. I hope to fix my intermittent, Temp and Fuel Gauges with this cleaning of the last of the sacred grounds. I will let you know if this helps. Thanks for the advice. P.S note to myself, get a head lamp ( Thanks Jamos ) and your right, if only that side piece came off. Some day that dash will be out for a heater core and blower motor, I wanted to wait till then but I gets nervous without at least the Temperature gauge. Hope this will do it. Nice pics Home Team, How did you get the 2 vents out without breaking them ?
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple more things...
if your temp and fuel gauges are both having issues, your problem may be the voltage regulator on the instrument cluster. This affects both of these gauges.
There is info about it here if you do a search.

Also, the rear-facing vents can be popped out with a flat-head screwdriver. They will come out before they break, but try to be careful. I removed both of mine L & R for cleaning a few months ago. I've not taken out the roof-facing vents, but after the large one is out, and you can reach in there, you should be able to push at the tabs from the inside.

Recommend replacing any/or all of the female spade connectors while you're in there. Most will be 20+ years old. And splitting out the wires that are ganged together into one spade will give a better ground. Be sure to slather it all with some dielectric grease when you're done! You should be good for quite a few years after all that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: