Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting a little more HP from a stock 36HP engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Getting a little more HP from a stock 36HP engine Reply with quote

OK, so I will ask a question about making a stock 36hp engine perform better and offer more horsepower.

I own a August 1960 Single Cab, so it supposed to have came with a 40HP engine. For whatever reason in my noggin, I like the appearance of a stock 36HP engine. Just looks so clean, has the spark plug wire tube, and just like the looks of it all. Would also be nice to have proper crank start apron that ended in 1959 on buses with 36HP engine so I was thinking of one day installing a 36HP engine in my 1960 SC.

I understand just that 4HP difference though between 36HP and 40HP is big changes on highway driving. So, I hear stock 36HP in a bus gets you like top speed of 50MPH on highway. 40HP engine is supposed to be 59MPH. At least 59, or say 55 is do-able. 48 to 50MPH would suck on speedy highway.

Anyway, are their little things that can be done to make a stock 36HP engine get a few more horsepower so maybe that top speed gets up to 55 or so? Computerized electronic points that are hidden away so you can really tell they are their or certain plugs and wires? Or maybe that Ampco top end oiler deal you see advertised that makes the engine run better and cooler. Running cooler, does that help gain a tad horsepower? Filling up with 92 octane fuel and adding some octane booster. Does that get a little more HP.

Stuff like that I am looking at to see if feasible downscaling to 36HP in an old 1960 SC.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a little more HP from a stock 36HP engine Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
OK, so I will ask a question about making a stock 36hp engine perform better and offer more horsepower.

I own a August 1960 Single Cab, so it supposed to have came with a 40HP engine. For whatever reason in my noggin, I like the appearance of a stock 36HP engine. Just looks so clean, has the spark plug wire tube, and just like the looks of it all. Would also be nice to have proper crank start apron that ended in 1959 on buses with 36HP engine so I was thinking of one day installing a 36HP engine in my 1960 SC.

I understand just that 4HP difference though between 36HP and 40HP is big changes on highway driving. So, I hear stock 36HP in a bus gets you like top speed of 50MPH on highway. 40HP engine is supposed to be 59MPH. At least 59, or say 55 is do-able. 48 to 50MPH would suck on speedy highway.

Anyway, are their little things that can be done to make a stock 36HP engine get a few more horsepower so maybe that top speed gets up to 55 or so? Computerized electronic points that are hidden away so you can really tell they are their or certain plugs and wires? Or maybe that Ampco top end oiler deal you see advertised that makes the engine run better and cooler. Running cooler, does that help gain a tad horsepower? Filling up with 92 octane fuel and adding some octane booster. Does that get a little more HP.

Stuff like that I am looking at to see if feasible downscaling to 36HP in an old 1960 SC.

tj

I'm going for uber 36 hp by stroking one of my engines and running dual carbs, but its expensive and a PITA. You can run larger venturi on the stock 28 PCI carbs and run an extractor exhaust, if you can find one. The problem with 36 hp engines is that there are not too many easily available performance parts out there.
--Dan
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headers, 30 PICT-1 and modified 40HP intake manifold helped in the '60's.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around with one back when i had a dune buggy. Did the 40 intake,30 carb,a header whick u could get then,but the biggest boost came from cutting a set of heads to get compression to between 8-9 ratio. A bit of trial and error as i went as far as i could go and keep valve to piston clearance 100+. I also removed some metal around valve area towards outside for easier flow,matched manifold to head,used an 010 dizzy and was a decent runner in a 64 body.
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

Polished a set of 36hp heads awhile back intake and exhaust=didn't Port ONLY polished to a high sheen. put a set of duals on it with manifolds that where=Polished to a high sheen inside as well( That was a pain) and advanced the timing a bit. had much better throttle reponce and a bit more horses as well. Ran great
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High polishing can cause fuel drop off, where fuel collects on the sides and flows to the combustion chamber unatomized. Ever wonder why golf balls have all those dimples?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One important thing i didnt mention when pepping up my 36 was to put a blower fan from a 40-hp on to get better cooling,i found it ran a bit hot after the compression mod to heads. I plan to drag out another one i started and try t adapt the "cool tin " pieces from a later engine to aid cooling,have some other ideas i want to try in the head/intake area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: