Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generic Fuel Pump
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Generic Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I saw several posts about avoiding generic fuel pumps while searching for info on the dual relays. I'm a big fan of Gowesty and they show aftermarket pump for $139 and it looks just like the one on Ebay for $69.

Has someone had specific experience with either pump or are you basing the opinion on generic parts in general?
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: generic fuel pumps Reply with quote

I've replaced fuel pumps in both my Vanagons with generics with no problems so far. You'll also find several posts on this forum about using a cheaper pump sold for a Ford truck that works fine and is much cheaper. I bought such a pump a few years ago for about $60, when the Vanagon one was listed for about double that. If you want, I can try to find the posts.

They are apparently a similar pressure and delivery rate. You might have to change the electrical connections and/or use a different fuel hose size, but you might have to do this on a generic Vanagon one, too. It can depend on the year and which filter you have.

Ed in CT
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy the right part and be done with it.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=GFP301
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mightyart speaks not with forked tongue... $139.00 for a German Bosch fuel pump is a good thing for you to have.
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
Just buy the right part and be done with it.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=GFP301

x2
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Generic Fuel Pump Reply with quote

LynnsABCs wrote:
I saw several posts about avoiding generic fuel pumps while searching for info on the dual relays. I'm a big fan of Gowesty and they show aftermarket pump for $139 and it looks just like the one on Ebay for $69.

Has someone had specific experience with either pump or are you basing the opinion on generic parts in general?
trust me on this. i bought 3 or 4 of Arrow http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=043906091 the pumps are very nice and have the right connections buy 2 (spares are a must) regardles of brand or price. make sure you fit a filter between the tank and fuel pump. lets see 2 pumps for $200 or $280 Confused the bus depot sells great products.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: