Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber 40 DCNFs
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Weber 40 DCNFs Reply with quote

Got a line on a set of DCNFs complete with linkage, manifolds, cleaners, bell crank linkage (still in package) and include 28mm vents (have 30-32 vents installed currently).
I'm no carb expert, but I plan on using these on a baja with a mild 1914cc. Rumor has it that the bowls on DCNFs are not great for bajas or racing (which I don't get since they came in Ferraris, etc), I also hear there is a modification for the bowls that cures the problem (baffles?).
My questions: Exactly what is the problem? What is the modification to the bowls? what is the importance (and where on the carbs) of the vents?
I don't plan on racing or winning the Baja 1000 on this thing, but the car will see some occasional abuse (scale of 1-10 with 10 being dessert racing, about a 5-6) and I don't want it to starve at every turn.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT* are the manifolds interchangeable between IDFs and DCNFs and are velocity stacks available for the DCNF?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCNF manifolds are a little different. The barrels line up, but the mounting studs are just a little bit off, you'd have to cut them and re-weld them in at the proper location to use IDF manifolds on a DCNF.

The bowls on the DCNF has issues with being bounced around when off-roading the gas will just slosh right out of them into the manifold. However on road it is fine unless you're taking some really high G turns that let it spill over.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be amost impossible to modify a IDF manifold to fit a DCNF and vice-versa. The DCNF has adjoined siamiesed throats were the IDF has separated throats.

I have spoken to a few on-roaders who stated medium cornnering caused the fuel to slosh and spill down the intakes.

I ran a single 42 DCNF on my FG Buggy and had no problems after getting the jetting correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a single 40DCNF with 28mm venturis on a 1600 in a 1966 bus and it ran great, also got decent mileage. I put that engine in a baja and as soon as the going got rough the fuel would slosh out the float bowl vent straight down the venturis and it would flood big time. If you plan to use it off-road learn how it needs to be modified and do it (I didn't, went back to the stock 34PICT)... you won't like it otherwise.
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a single DCNF. It ran great and flooded less than the dual Dellortos. I still kept a couple sets of extra plugs just in case. I will say I did not try to see if the bowl venting could be improved. Since I had several Zeniths a switch back to a single Zenith solved all the flooding problems. The DCNFs would be worth buying just to have.
BearBroth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for all the replies fellas. The price for the DCNFs are $400 complete with everything I need to run them. The price seems right to me, but the proverbial "other shoe" has dropped lately and, while I have the money to buy them, I want to put my money to the best possible use. Thus, I wonder if there is a better choice carb setup I can find to run on a baja with less trepidation and headaches for the money.

Joescoolcustoms; did you do any moderate jouncing around in your buggy after you finished it, or did you use the car for light-duty off-roading or street use?

And lastly, does anyone know what the modification to the bowls is?
Thanks again.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joescoolcustoms; did you do any moderate jouncing around in your buggy after you finished it, or did you use the car for light-duty off-roading or street use?

Hard, very hard street driving. No off-roading.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I was in the upper rpms 3000+ the single DCNF wanted to load up. A Zenith with an aluminium intake and preheat is the way to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: