Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Torsion Bar Removal on '65?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Rear Torsion Bar Removal on '65? Reply with quote

OK, I have completley stripped down the chasis of a '65 Type 1 to get it ready for sand blasting. I am looking into buying a lowering kit from Airkewld, was browsing their pictures for installing it and I see it says to remove the rear torsion bars from the tube.
Well, here's my problem. I took off the caps, springplates, bushings, etc. but now how do I get the torsion bars out? Do I just pull as hard as I can? Is there a trick or something, because I can't get those things to budge.
Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link for a good detailed answer.
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/rearaxle.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just got back in from the shop. I can't get these damn bars to pull out of the tube. I just don't see how they come out. The web-site that I went to from the above post just said to remove the rear torsion bars WITH the spring plate. How the hell is that possible when the spring plate slides off the splines on the torsion bar? Anyways, does anyone know of a way to pull these Torsion Bars things out or the rear tube? No book, or web-site that I have seen tells me anything about how to pull them out.

--Thanks
--Corry
rlarkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are splined on the inside just like the outside.
If there is the slightest bit of rust on them they will be a real biatch.
WIGGLE AND PULL, PULL AND WIGGLE.
There is nothing holding them in. They will come out.
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiggle and pull is good try to put the spring plate back on so you can move it around wiggle it with that '' back and forth , round and round'' sounds fun eh! then try to tap it with hammer back in. hit the torsion bar it might break it lose . if you can break it lose it should come out . some of them are really in there . then if that dont work you can get a granade! self explanitory! BOOM! Surprised
65guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I finally got the damn things out. I was pounding on the left bar, and the right bar actually flew out of the tube accross the shop HAHAHA. but anyways, I got them out and I can now sand blast my frame!

Thanks again,
--Corry
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: torsion & sandblast Reply with quote

Stuff some rags into the torsion tubes to keep the sandblasting medium out. That S--t will get into everything, tunnel included. Wash it out, the tunnel, with 'HOT" water and dishwashing liquid when you are done. It will get into and grind all your cables to bits shortly if you don't do it. I sealed off all my tubes with duct tape prior to sandblasting. Stand it on end when done and send torrents of water through the tunnel. Let dry for days in a sunny spot to make sure the water is all out. Take the front inspection plate off ONLY after the sandblasting is done.

Roger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HyDr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry old thread I know, but searched and this one stuck out.
Looking at bagging the rear of my 61, saw on the Airkewld site that you Remove the rear torsion bars and run with out.

My question is well.........is that safe to do? I mean run with out torsion bars?

My car is gonna be driven far distances quite often, and NOT baggin it is out of the question. I will be running Airkewld's kits both front and rear.

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks in advanced Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: torsion & sandblast Reply with quote

ROGER LAWLESS wrote:
Stand it on end when done and send torrents of water through the tunnel.
Roger

If you thoughtfully pull the big 29's from the tranny mount legs to facilitate the wash-through (50/50 kerosene and water seems to work, too) while you hang that pan from the ceiling;

don't forget a bottle brush to clean the fine threads in the legs afterwards.
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will61 wrote:
Sorry old thread I know, but searched and this one stuck out.
Looking at bagging the rear of my 61, saw on the Airkewld site that you Remove the rear torsion bars and run with out.

My question is well.........is that safe to do? I mean run with out torsion bars?

My car is gonna be driven far distances quite often, and NOT baggin it is out of the question. I will be running Airkewld's kits both front and rear.

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks in advanced Cool

I know Pete personally and if he say's it will work, it will work. Pete's a smart dude and really know's his stuff.

Roger
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343845
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: