Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portable oven for a westy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Portable oven for a westy? Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a portable oven to use on the stove in my westy. I tried a Coleman folding oven but it didn't seem to fit very well so I am still on the hunt for something.

Has anyone built something simple like this http://journal.goingslowly.com/2009/01/portable-oven-backpacker-oven.html

I'd like to find something that stores flat. Ideas?

Steve
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the coleman things, but the one in that link looks bitchin'. I'd be interested to see if anyone has as well, how awesome would it be to cook up frozen pizzas while camping?!
'78 Transporter - Gone
'69 Baja - Gone
'91 Vanagon Carat - Gone
‘71 Bus - Gone

Current: ‘74 Westy 2.0L, hydraulic valves, dual EMPI 34s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a banks fry-bake for a long time, it's probably my favorite piece of camping gear. It's not exactly what you're looking for but I've used it to bake pizza night before summit. It's kind of a ritual. I have a few climbing buddies that were lucky enough to do NOLS which is where they were turned on to them. The lid allows you to make a twiggy fire on top which makes it pretty good for baking. It doesn't come in handy on glacier travel though. No twigs.

http://www.frybake.com/
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw one at G.I. Joes the other day. might be a little bigger than your looking for though. $150 two burners on top as well. can't find a link at the moment.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevtherev might have something for you...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344005
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we tote in a RV OVEN when we're going to be group camping, pulled from an old RV or pick up camper they are nearly never used and in very nice shape.

it does bring mention of "that's not camping" from the other campers. I say they're jealous of our Lasagne or Pizzas while they're trying to roast weenies. though if we had children with us, i'd certainly make them learn the pig on a stick method of dinner. crispy on one side, nearly raw on the other.. YUM just like mom used to make. Laughing

but now a days it's baked Lasagne & garlic bread, or cinnabunns in the morning to go with the coffee.

the unit is abot a 24" cube, rides behind the pass seat on the floor by the slider and we adapted it to run on a 16oz bottle. will last thru a weekend of 2 oven dinners & general stove top burner use..
We place it on the picnic table when we set up camp. and no it's not light. but neither is the ice chest, firewood or my passangers..

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
techbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool idea Dan! Do you by chance have a photo of that setup?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you're right, it's no good talking about it without images, I had to dig to find some. we'd lost our camera just before the event.

techbot wrote:
That's a cool idea Dan! Do you by chance have a photo of that setup?

here's an image of the campstove during our outting at watkins glen. we made fresh Lasagne & garlic bread for 6 in it.
we run it off a 1# green LP bottle, it'll pretty much last the weekend with 2 oven dinners and cinnomon buns and coffee in the morning.
We still need to make a hard case for it with telescopic legs and handles etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
techbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. That is so cool! I might have to be on the lookout for something like that!
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun to see what folks have done. Dan your solution looks like a bigger and cheaper solution to the Camp-Chef oven here http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item/1/100/0/C-OVE...Stove.html You must be the envy of the campground when you pull something fresh out of the oven.

Looks like the portable/folding oven market is pretty slim for a Westy stove top. I think I will be making something but need to figure out the design first. I did talk with Orion at KMT Waterjet and he can basically cut anything I design. Seemed like a really helpful guy.

This all started 2 weekends ago when I was headed out to the ocean and bought the Coleman folding oven on the way. Since I didn't have any baking pans I stop by Wal-Mart and picked up a 3 pack of the lightweight aluminum pans. Once I figured out the Coleman oven wasn't going to work on my westy stove top, I decided to try making something with the 3 baking pans. It worked and produced a nice warm blueberry muffin bread that weekend.

Here is what I did if anyone else gets the urge for some oven baked treats.

Start with 3 8x8 pans like this

Cut the bottom out of one, tear the corners so the sides are vertical and fasten upside down on the bottom one. Add two wires for a rack. Cut some air/heat vents in the bottom. Use aluminum foil to cover the gaps and seal it up the sides

Add a 6” baking pan with your favorite recipe

Cover with 3rd pan and bake on low.

Okay so I consider this a rude proof of concept, I'll see if I can prototype something better Very Happy
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the Camp Chef oven at Cabelas in the bargin cave. I got it for 74.00. I had been looking at these for a year but wasn't going to pay 250.00. My family is looking forward to home baked food this summer.

Dutch oven cooking can be fun and you can do a lot of stuff but it takes practice. My wife would prefer not to see me picking up hot coals with welders gloves however.
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw one mounted in a westy , its in one of the europian links

http://home.earthlink.net/~matsuwesty/page6.html

enjoy looking
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SSWesty"]
Once I figured out the Coleman oven wasn't going to work on my westy stove top, I decided to try making something with the 3 baking pans.

Why did it not work? Was it too tall? or didn't sit right. I was thinking a coleman was my answer until now. Of course your sweet tin pan oven is quite compelling.
dan vandenheede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: solar oven Reply with quote

I take my solar oven camping, works great as long as you have sun Very Happy

takes up a bit of room, but I have a adventurewagen and stuff it in the high top. gets up to 350 degrees +. there are several kinds, and you find plans to build your own which could fold down flat (think cardbaord and tinfoil.)

I got mine here, came with pans and cookbook and it is for a good cause, they use proceeds to send these to developing countries.

http://www.solarovens.org/

Works for me, and uses no fuel Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markz2004,

The Coleman folding oven was too tall and too deep for the stove top. The problem I discovered was the lid over the stove and sink is what messes things up. The stove can't slide back far enough to get centered over the burner. I even removed the arm that holds it up so I coud get the maximum clearance but no luck.

I study that Coleman long and hard on how I could cut it down but I think it is just to tall and to deep.

I found another oven but it's smaller than what I am after. I'd like something that could hold a 9x9 baking pan. This one is a baby oven http://www.backpackeroven.com/

The quest continues.

Steve
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks pretty cool:

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1049855826.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a recent van camper gathering in Oregon (www.wetwesties.org), a fellow camper, Loren Busch, had this oven in his van. He said it worked well, although I did not see it in action nor do I own one.

Link: http://www.foxhill.net/

Loren also said he added this burner plate, as a heat diffuser. (One could be made or found for less, $, I'm sure.) http://tinyurl.com/cblyzt

Other comments from Loren:
"And the secret is patience, let the oven heat up slow till you get to the temp you need. Mine has worked great for biscuits, cookies, and even a cake one time. The only drawback for me has been that the oven is bulky to store but I put up with that for the hot biscuits in the morning Smile"

Loren, thanks for the tip!
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClimberJohn, thanks for posting the Foxhill oven. That is the size I am thinking about, if it would fold I'd buy it.

Steve
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I look at crafting an oven that folds I'd like it to fit more than just my 89 Westy. I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a feature that would keep it from slipping off the stove top grill. Are the Westfalia grills all the same shape or did there shape vary around the burners over the years?

Steve
Rockybasin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the manufacturer of the Backpacker Oven and if you are still intrested We could work on making a 10"x10" Oven that may work for what you want to use it on. How large are the Burners.

SSWesty wrote:
Markz2004,

I found another oven but it's smaller than what I am after. I'd like something that could hold a 9x9 baking pan. This one is a baby oven http://www.backpackeroven.com/

The quest continues.

Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: