Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

9'x9' awning from Wal-Mart?!? ** new PICS **
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: 9'x9' awning from Wal-Mart?!? ** new PICS ** Reply with quote

Here in southern VA, our Wal-Mart is starting to get in some of their spring stock, and just yesterday I noticed a brand new item in with the tents & stuff. It is under their "Ozark Trail" name, meaning you won't find it anywhere but Wal-Mart. It is a 9' square dining canopy with a domed roof - uses fiberglass poles for the roof and includes (4) steel poles to go to the ground. Has guy lines, neat little carrying case, etc. Best thing: It's only $29.99! Very Happy

I'm thinking I could sew some cow magnets into the one edge to hold it in the gutter, and then use two poles from the front corners to angle down to the wheels for support & tension. No guy lines required unless for wind uplift. Could even use sections from the other two legs to make a ridgid pole to go across the front like the EZ-Up has.

I realize this may not be the same quality as an EZ-Up, but let's face it - Not everyone can afford to pay $120 for an awning. Even if I had to replace it every other year or buy another as a backup, I'm still ahead! I've tried the tarp method and it works, but this would provide much-needed head room and allow for water runoff instead of ponding.

I'll try to get their SKU# next time. I checked their website and it's not up yet. The ones at our store are a nice dark blue which matches our bus really well... Guess karma says I hafta buy it Cool

I'll post some pics and explain the mods to make it work in a few days . . .

-Klauss

Last edited by Klaussinator on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip as nice as a trap can be the ease of set up of a properly poled system would be nice! and 30 bucks is my price range for sure!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went to Walmart and...

I think it'll do fine. It's very compact when stored, and sets up quickly. Thanks for the tip!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club

Last edited by 1977_L63H_P27 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
So, I went to Walmart and...

I think it'll do fine. It's very compact when stored, and sets up quickly. Thanks for the tip!

Looks good. How do you have it connected to the gutter on the bus?
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not connected yet. I'm thinking through the possibilities. Could be as simple as spring clamps, or so in some rare earth magnets. I'll let ya' know. Peace!

M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the SKU or exact name? That looks pretty nice!
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"9ft. X 9ft. Dining Canopy" It's an Ozark Trail product. The part number on the tag is WT98012-3 and the UPC is 8 18655 00402 7. It's in sporting goods, in a small rectangular blue and black duffel bag, approx. 4"x6"x2'. Peace!

M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuLX3,

You got the jump on me man!!! It's all good, I got mine today too.

I'm planning to use 1/2" pipe & clamps at each end to attatch to the gutter and some cow magnets in the center where I can't get a clamp. Should seal it up enough to keep water from running thru over the door. Gonna cut off the two little "corner thingies" at the gutter side and use that material to make the pockets for the pipe & magnets. Should have pics tomorrow.

I think this just might be the ticket for us poor-boys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71_georgia_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to keep a look out. All I can find is the below 13x9 and the 12x9. I might actually go for the 13x9.

www.burelphotography.com
p3acefr0gs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this cheap idea. I found a 10ft X10ft. My only questions is if it actually lines up with the bus when it is up.
hatfulofhollow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'm going there tomorrow...
Eventuality takes its toll
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, in case it helps: The excellent system the Bus Depot's Ezeawning (sp??) uses is like this... a four piece metal pole that gets attached to the gutter side of the awning with velcro loops, and then gets clamped from the underside hard into the rain gutter. You could get a sleeve or a few velcro sleeves sewn into the gutter side and replicate this easily. Go for clamps... even in pleasant conditions, a few miles per hour of wind will take that thing and toss it (and the rare earth magnets) into the lake you're parked beside!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
afhusband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on this!
It really beats putting up the side tent solely for the purpose of shade!
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveling Writer wrote:
FYI, in case it helps: The excellent system the Bus Depot's Ezeawning (sp??) uses is like this... a four piece metal pole that gets attached to the gutter side of the awning with velcro loops, and then gets clamped from the underside hard into the rain gutter. You could get a sleeve or a few velcro sleeves sewn into the gutter side and replicate this easily. Go for clamps... even in pleasant conditions, a few miles per hour of wind will take that thing and toss it (and the rare earth magnets) into the lake you're parked beside!

This cheap one doesn't lend itself well to hooking it up to the rain gutter. When the corners are placed on the gutters, the center material pulls out about two inches. But it does have tie down ropes attached to each corner, and comes with tent stakes. Also the corner flaps (on the bus side) could be stitched or velcroed around a section of small PVC pipe, and then clamped tightly to the gutter. But I don't believe there'd ever be a way to get a water tight seal between this awning and the bus. Then again, that's not the idea is it?! Peace!

M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
Traveling Writer wrote:

This cheap one doesn't lend itself well to hooking it up to the rain gutter. When the corners are placed on the gutters, the center material pulls out about two inches. But it does have tie down ropes attached to each corner, and comes with tent stakes. Also the corner flaps (on the bus side) could be stitched or velcroed around a section of small PVC pipe, and then clamped tightly to the gutter. But I don't believe there'd ever be a way to get a water tight seal between this awning and the bus. Then again, that's not the idea is it?! Peace!

Actually, from experience, I think you'll find that a waterproof seal from the awning to the bus door is the idea! Otherwise, you won't even be able to open the slider when it's raining, and even a light rain will send water dripping right into your open door. I don't know about you, but I love sitting in the open door, maybe with a lawn chair facing in and a Coleman stove on the floor of the bus, cooking when it's raining outside! But unless you get that seal right, with a pipe of some sort sitting directly in the rain gutter and at least 2 clamps holding it there, the awning will only be useful as a sunshelter. Just my pair o' pennies, but again, if my awning hadn't had a watertight seal this past summer (2 months living in the bus, with rain up to five days straight sometimes), I would have been royally annoyed!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveling Writer wrote:
1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
Traveling Writer wrote:

Actually, from experience, I think you'll find that a waterproof seal from the awning to the bus door is the idea! Otherwise, you won't even be able to open the slider when it's raining, and even a light rain will send water dripping right into your open door. I don't know about you, but I love sitting in the open door, maybe with a lawn chair facing in and a Coleman stove on the floor of the bus, cooking when it's raining outside! But unless you get that seal right, with a pipe of some sort sitting directly in the rain gutter and at least 2 clamps holding it there, the awning will only be useful as a sunshelter. Just my pair o' pennies, but again, if my awning hadn't had a watertight seal this past summer (2 months living in the bus, with rain up to five days straight sometimes), I would have been royally annoyed!

I agree with you. If you're going to be living in a bus...by all means spend $120 and get the better model. If, on the other hand, the weather man says sunny skies and you only plan to camp a few days, then this option is perfect. I for one do not camp in the rain. And if a shower drops in, I can close the bus up and play board games 'til it passes. Peace!

M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really great ideas & tips here! Thanks all!!!

I agree (now that I've got it set up) that there is a gap of a couple inches between the material and the gutter. But other than that, THIS THING IS PERFECT for matching right up to the bus. The pole height matches the gutter height with no mods, and the overall height in the center is 8' !!! That's higher than the EZ-Up, judging by the pics I've seen.

Here's my solution: I'm on my way back down to the shop, armed with my wife's sewing machine. I'm gonna cut a piece of blue or silver tarp to fill in this long tapering space between the material edge and the gutter. This will be sewn on full length and will be long enough to allow for magnets or pipe to clamp it to the gutter. This will be rain-tight, but will not keep the canopy from being used as a stand-alone with all four legs, if ever needed for something else.

I'll be back w/ pics & explaination this evening . . . I know absolutely this will work, and work very well for our busses! Gotta love a $30 awning.

-Klauss
Blackdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just coming back from walmart,,and there not available in Canada Shocked Mad

Anybody knows how I could have one ship up here??
smithe68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackdawg wrote:

I would think through the walmart website you could order just about anything they sell.
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithe68 wrote:
Blackdawg wrote:

I would think through the walmart website you could order just about anything they sell.

I was just looking for it on their website, but I couldn't find it. There is the link to the Screen Houses and Canopies

You might go in there and ask if they could order it. I have heard of people doing that with other things that one particular store doesn't sell
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: