Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

identifying oil leak sources (pictures)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: identifying oil leak sources (pictures) Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
mike boland wrote:
you can buy UV dye kits at better auto parts stores & UV light add it to oil...drive it 5 or 10 minutes and then shine UV light on you'll be able to see where leaks are coming from...depending on dye color they'll show up as dayglow green or dayglow orange....even Mr. Magoo could see it...

Wow, I'm not familiar with this stuff. Anyone else ever use it and/or have an opinion? I'd be leery about adding unknown gunk to my oil, especially stuff that glows.

nothing to it. you pour dye in oil or transfluid run engine a bit shine UV light on it Mr. Magoo & Ray Charles could see the dayglow dye (green or orange) it doesn't hurt anything.. and if your still worried about it then drain and replace oil / transmission fluid... I found leak on friend Chevy.. hairline crack in head....we welded crack up..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mighty Art...Since you have the rubber boot in its intact state...could you take a look in the misc. auto parts isle in the local flaps and see if there is some rubber piece that would sort of work in its place? We would be very grateful.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sorry should have said seal, not shield. Adult onset dyslexia you know. Look at page 35.97, Figure 9 in the Bentley, you can see how the slinger fits behind the seal. Slinger is probably a misnomer, there is probably a more proper name for it. Unless you have had a pilot bearing failure this is not likely your problem though.

ill change that seal anyway. thanks for the tip.
I have the bentley specific to the aircooled vanagon, so mine doesn't have a 35.97 page in it, but im sure it'll make more sense once I get the input shaft seal out.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread for more on the slinger.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342440&highlight=oil+slinger+wrong

And while your leak chasing, you might want to read this. It applies to air-cooleds as well:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344159

Andrew
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Check this thread for more on the slinger.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342440&highlight=oil+slinger+wrong

And while your leak chasing, you might want to read this. It applies to air-cooleds as well:

Andrew

wow. just, wow. nice one brova'
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:

Andrew

it does?

its a tiny tiny little hole, yea?

I think mine is blocked off by the gasket that mounts those two parts of the trans together.

just confirming the location of said hole:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is how far I can go in before I hit that gasket:

see, exactly as deep as that gasket would be:

stab it through so it can vent, or is this the wrong location for this vent to be?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have and air-cooled transmission to compare to. That certainly looks like the bleed hole. I have a couple thoughts. Perhaps there is a second vertical drilling that connects to that hole or perhaps you are bottoming out on a screen that is there to prevent dirt from getting into the transmission. My course of action would be to clean the hole and around the hole as well as I could, remove the fill plug and try blowing a little compressed air in there to see if I could tell if it was flowing through the bleed into the case and out the fill hole.

Andrew
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey aircoolechris, can you get to that hole with the transmission in the vehicle?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
hey aircoolechris, can you get to that hole with the transmission in the vehicle?

it's hard to say, I haven't put my trans back in just yet.
this was all checked out with the trans on my garage floor.

based on where it is, technically speaking its not completely blocked, but you'd have one hell of a time being able to see it. you will def need a mirror and a flashlight.

id try and clean up the area as much as I can, then get your digital camera in there as close as you can and see if you can get a shot of it in Macro mode. that might *might* be easier than seeing it with a mirror.

unless there is a tiny vertical tube that this little channel connects to, and I don't see one when I look inside mine, it looks like its just totally blocked off on these aircooled models.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the post I just added to the tanny breather thread. It shows the internals. It is NOT blocked off in the air cooleds. If you were to tip the tranny on it's nose with fluid inside, you will see the fluid come leaking out.

Yes, you can get to the hole with the tranny in the vehicle, but it is not easy. I believe you could actually put a jack under the tranny and remove the mount and entire nose cone with the tranny in situ.

Andrew
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah-ha!

so it does go in just to the point where it mates with that other part of the trans, but then there is a little channel going down that makes the connection.

awesome picture.

I don't see how you can clean that out though, without removing that nose cone or whatever you call the end of the transmission.

maybe not that big of a deal to take off, I haven't looked into that part of it yet. likely will need to replace the gasket when doing so though...
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the camera idea...I may just do that to check and see if it is dirty.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small wire or even a squirt of WD-40 would clean it out, I just don't like the idea of sending grit into the transmission. Very easy to pull the nose. Only 8-10 m8 bolts and it pulls right off. I'd clean it first on the outside to reduce crud getting in. A very light smear of RTV (I like Permatex Ultra Grey) would do just as goof of a job sealing as the gasket. Don't put enough on that it will squeeze out when bolted together.

Andrew
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airkooledchris
Do you know were the tranny was rebuilt? Are the trany numbers re stamped??
I posted the question earlier but no one knew of anyone re stamping them. The painting on your tranny caught my eye. It looks exactly like the one i have.

Were you running red line oil?

thank jcl
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
Airkooledchris
Do you know were the tranny was rebuilt? Are the trany numbers re stamped??
I posted the question earlier but no one knew of anyone re stamping them. The painting on your tranny caught my eye. It looks exactly like the one i have.

Were you running red line oil?

thank jcl

I don't know what kind of oil is in it. I purchased this rebuilt transmission via German Transaxle out of Bend Oregon. I had technically got it from my mechanic, but thats where they buy them from themselves.

it's painted black.

as for numbers, I don't know that anyone re-stamps them.
these are the numbers on mine:

that last one is hard to read, but its 091301211A, which I believe is an original number as well.
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Ill give German Transaxle a shout out . The numbers I have restamped are the tranny code on the bottom (drivers ?) side.

thanks jcl
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I think this might work for the rubber boot on the transmission ..it is for Vanagons after 1983, but it looks like it may work on ours.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020301261A

What does everyone think?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Hey I think this might work for the rubber boot on the transmission ..it is for Vanagons after 1983, but it looks like it may work on ours.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020301261A

What does everyone think?

That looks EXACTLY the same.

I just got my parts in finally, even though everything went back together and work just fine with all of them totally worn out (go fig)

I ordered mine from serial-combi, but for the little plastic circle gear looking thing it shows being from JustKampers. FYI
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggesting to improve parts life a bit. On the socket where the shift rod and transmission meet, if you drill a small hole in the bottom of the socket then you can use a needle to grease the socket from time to time. I guess a grease fitting could also be installed, but have never tried it.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, how long did it take for you to get your order from serial-kombi. I ordered some stuff from them in March and am wondering how long I should wait before I should be concerned.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: