Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with channel removal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Need help with channel removal Reply with quote

As much as I appreciate the bugme video they only talked about how to get this section undone. I could see small divits at that bottom that looked like spot welds but I could not find any other ones. I have it cut inside about 3/4 inch from the firewall at the body seam.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a 65 bug, can anyone help me with how to do this?

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
harley611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post some more pics I may be able to help you. I recently removed my passenger side heater channel and am preparing to put a new one in. The removal takes some time and you have to pay attention. I had problems with the firewall area, but finally got it.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley611, I will get them up by tomorrow, please check back.

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of the fender well

Pic of inside where I cut along the factory FW metal

Another pic of the front where I cant see any more spot welds

On the bugme video they cut along the flange on the inside where I cut but this would only help me if I cut all the way around and would still be left with that front piece to remove. They did show cutting off a solid weld at the front bottom and I started cutting there but it doesnt look like it would help unless I cut a big piece off of it. I dont know what year car they were working with either.....

Anybody want to jump in and advise me Im all ears...

ocbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more spot welds where the heater channel meets the heel board. The factory tucked the heater channel into the lip of the heel board as the heel board is hollow. Keep checking where the heater channel disappears into the heel board.

Good luck!
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was aware of the spot welds around the flange that mates the channel to the firewall. However, in the bugme video they indicate wels to be at the front side as I displayed in my previous post. This pisses me off but not enough to dis Rick & Sons as I think overall they have shown some nifty approaches to this channel replacement, however, I found this part to be the MOST difficult part to do as I am guessing others have.

There is one big honkin weld at the base of the channel and firewall on the left that needs to be cut through, I decided to cut the front section of the firewall off just to see if and how the front end of the channel was welded, I cut it in the same shape as the new channel and there are no spot welds, period. The bottom section might as well be cut all the way across which means you might as well cut the whole section out as I did and just replace the metal.

Also, in the video they show you to cut a small section of weld off at the base of the fender well right at the end of the spot welds outside and this is pointless as the there are spot welds going up further. I understand that the car they were using was delapitated but it would have been better for a few of us to have all the facts rather than some of them.

I have everything loose and ready to come out but my back is spent so I will continue later. It has been a good learning experience as usual!

therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might add one more note to this thread as far as what not to do, this is advice from a newbie. Dont be shy when you are cutting around the B pillar, my car had very smoothly welded corners at the base of the pillar and I was afraid to get too close to it because I wanted to save as much metal as possible, in the end I spent a couple hours grinding and cutting until I found the 20 or 22 gauge seam to remove the sheet metal that stayed up in the quarter panel. Here is a pic..

Again, this is my first attempt at something like this and need much more than the channels, I found rust all through the front cross member and both of the rear sides will need to be replaced as well as both front wheel well bottoms.... Twisted Evil

Hopefully some of my mistakes will help another first timer.

Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain buddy. I am replacing both heater channels,front firewall,rear chassis supports, both inner fender welss and bothe rear lower 1/4 panels.

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to do all the same on my '74. I'm glad we have this support group! Very Happy Take alot of pics and post them.

Oh and I looked at your gallery pics. I have the same crease in my heater channels as you do.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
I'm getting ready to do all the same on my '74. I'm glad we have this support group! Very Happy Take alot of pics and post them.

Oh and I looked at your gallery pics. I have the same crease in my heater channels as you do.

Do you find this irregularity acceptable? Are both of your channels creased or just one side?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: