Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater channels
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: heater channels Reply with quote

Hey, Has anybody ever put in fresh airheater ducting tube/channels in the rockers of a thing? I will be replacing mine and have toyed with the idea of adding them in like the kubelwagens did..Ideas, Pros and cons? Eric
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channels Reply with quote

lifeisgoodin29 wrote:
Hey, Has anybody ever put in fresh airheater ducting tube/channels in the rockers of a thing? I will be replacing mine and have toyed with the idea of adding them in like the kubelwagens did..Ideas, Pros and cons? Eric

Just off the top of my head:

Pro: easy to apply Waxoyl or some other rust preventative into the channels.

Cons: lots of custom fabrication to get the heat up to the windshield. Potentially very home-made and goofy looking. Picking a route up to the bottom of the dash may be problematic.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to cut the inner braces so you will lose some strenth. I have thought about 1 1/2 in. square tubing on the inside at the floor pan and the rocker, but at the front it would be hard to get the heat to the pedals
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not follow the factory route on the '74's? Two simple tubes through the rear bulkhead and ducting along the center tunnel.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, why not just use the actual parts from a 74?
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this. I do not like the 74 method as it is vulnerable to damage. I like the idea of square tubing from the strength aspect, thank you. I also think there is enough space were the front rockers end to bring up a tube to the defroster if needed like the bugs did. This will be in a car with a gas heater so I really only need to do the floor. Thanks for the input so far. Eric
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: