Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best starter for Subaru converted Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Anyone find some used SR0408X's? Reply with quote

Anyone find some used SR0408X's?

I found one in Huntington Beach German Auto 78671 Liberty Ave. 714-847-2525. They wouldn't ship to me here in Utah. So if anyone is close enough to drop by and pick it up - all yours!

If anyone finds an extra used SR0408X you can sell and ship to me, let me know! I've called many places and have had no luck.

Buffbuh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Bought SR0408X - will reply with results if post is open Reply with quote

I bought one, and an adapter from Venture Westy. I will post what I observe as the results if this post is kept open after the holidays (going on trip, different car for now).

Bryan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: WPS Starter Reply with quote

I asked "the guy" for an SR0408X and he said he had one for $100 - I thought it was a used BOSCH one. I guess I did not emphasize that enough. But an SR0408X IS a BOSCH, right?

At any rate, he shipped a WPS Starter - made in China, 2-1890-BO. I have verified through one starter cross reference that it is a replacement part for BOSCH SR0408X. It's brand new. Even if I found a BOSCH SR0408X in a junk yard, they would sell them for $100. I found a brand new BOSCH SR0408X at mjmautohaus for $150, but as always, with $92 core charge, which core I do not have. (They won't accept VW starter as core.)

Option 1: Go through the hassel of sending it back, keep looking for used one.

Option 2: Go through the hassel of sending it back, buy brand new SR0408X with core charge ($250 - geesh).

Option 2: Use this WPS starter until it goes bad - then I can use it as a core for brand new BOSCH.

I'm waiting for the Venture Westy adaptor.

Buffbuh
81GolfAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: westy ventures adapter Reply with quote

Just installed one of the wps TDI starters with a westy ventures adapter on my 81 Westy with a tiico conversion and it works great! Nice adapter, and the starter was only 99$ on ebay. with free shipping. I had a rebuilt bosch only about 2 years old would just barely crank it over. This new starter spins the tiico no problem, and the adapter fit very nicely on the air-cooled trany. Thanks westy Ventures for a well made product at a reasonable price!
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: WPS Starter not bad Reply with quote

I installed the WPS Starter with Venture Westy adapter about a week ago, and it cranks over beautifully. Sounds like turning over a smaller engine now.

Until I can figure out this Subaru conversion intermittent dying, I have no problem restarting the engine with this starter at any point.

We'll see how long it lasts! For now, I love it!

Buffbuh

P.S. Oh - forgot to mention - the connection bolt coming out of the WPS starter was too short for the old thick Vanagon wire's connection - I used thicker gauge 5-foot battery cable with the thin connectors and replaced the old wire altogether.
LTBeck41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: New Bosch high torque starter conversion thingy Reply with quote

I just got my starter conversion done using the adapter from westyventures.com. All I had to do to make it fit was to slightly file down the flat face of the stock "D" bolt that held in the top of the old starter (it was barely in the way of the new starter.

The new Bosch SR0408X really gets my TIICO spinning. I bet it will do the same for other replacement engines!

LTB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Porsche 911 starter 1972 to 89 with an automatic. It's a direct bolt on.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
I used a Porsche 911 starter 1972 to 89 with an automatic. It's a direct bolt on.

Jeff

Please explain--I don't recall there being an automatic Porsche 911?
Photos please, would like to see the fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,
The Porsche starter will only work with a Vanagon that has the auto trans.

dylan
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Karl,
The Porsche starter will only work with a Vanagon that has the auto trans.

dylan

Gotcha. Makes more sense. BTW, do you have any specs on the power output of that starter?

Edit: just found the info: 1.5 kw. I see that is is a direct-drive starter--I'm curious at what voltage is stops cranking. My experience with the gear-reduction units has been that they will keep cranking to a lower voltage in most cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes it's for automatic vans.

It is a little longer than my 1.9 starter but still plenty room to install it. I'm not sure on the power output but it spins the suby 2.2 over way way better than the 1.9 starter.

I thought i"d give it a try since I found it on ebay for $60.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy I think my starter died, it was wet and cold over the weekend.

ebay here I come
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
buffbuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: BEWARE of WPS starter... I'm going to have to go BOSCH now.. Reply with quote

I can't recommend that WPS starter anymore. It worked like a CHARM for a while, and the power is a GREAT upgrade from stock starter, so I STILL want the upgrade. BUT I will have to choose a different brand starter. After a few months with the WPS, I could hold the starter gear with my hand and stop it from spinning. In the car, it would not spin nor start my car. I should have posted this earlier - just a lot on my plate lately, so I'm glad you inquired.

It made a horrendous clacking sound. I thought that the external gear had stripped, or worse my fly wheel??!! External gears were fine.

Taking the starter apart, it appears to be a flaw in design. Connecting internal gears do not fully engage, just the tip of them, and over a short period of time, it wears and rides on stripped end. (I should have taken a picture when I had it apart!) Plenty of gear for engagement, but it looked like by design, they could not engage fully.

I did talk to the seller about it, and he agreed to replace it for me, but why would I want to risk having the same starter with the same design? I just plan to bite the bullet and use it as a core towards a rebuilt SR0408X Bosch.

MJM Autohaus seems like a good price online - HAS ANYONE INPUT OR REVIEW ON MJM AUTOHAUS?

BuffBuh
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: BEWARE of WPS starter... I'm going to have to go BOSCH n Reply with quote

buffbuh wrote:
I can't recommend that WPS starter anymore.
BuffBuh

IS this what you call a WPS
is from CALIFORNIA ALTERNATOR AND STARTER
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300277150519

buffbuh wrote:
I just plan to bite the bullet and use it as a core towards a rebuilt SR0408X Bosch.

also Advance auto Part No. 16939/17703 has reman Bosh started for a very sharp price
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Starter-Worldwide_3081974-P_123_R

Last edited by tclark on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully that [Chinese] starter was just a fluke and they are not all that way, because the price is great!

The Advance Auto starter, if pictured as the part you are buying, is not the correct starter - the TDI starter has a self-supporting shaft. Note also that at that price you're most likely getting just another Chinese starter. All manufacturers are heading that direction, unfortunately, to stay competitive.
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

The Advance Auto starter, if pictured as the part you are buying, is not the correct starter - the TDI starter has a self-supporting shaft.

hmm I thought all jetta TDI 96-2006 had the same starter according to what i read here & that ebay link
can you link to a pic of what is called a self-supporting shaft.

Last edited by tclark on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:
hmm I thought all jetta TDI 96-2003 had the same starter according to what i read here
can you link to a pic of what is called a self-supporting shaft.

Look at the ebay link above - it has a good photo of the correct starter.

edit: here is the 17703 starter, the correct one:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...9228455___
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buff!
can you recreate the failing condition on your driveway? do so if you can and cool the starter with water. try, like ben said, tapping it with a wrench, hammer or whatever you can get up in there. If either of these make it work, then your armature is worn out and you need to rebuild or replace the starter. you will save shipping, help your local economy and cut to the chase. a healthy 2.1 starter is all you need unless you want to rube goldberg it. [complicate] there's some rebuild shop in your town that needs the work. lets bring main street back a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe BuffBuh has a Subaru conversion - many have found the stock WBX starter not quite powerful enough to start these when hot. That's why they are now using the SR0408X and my adaptor (made right down on Main St.) Smile
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I C 2 different part number for the manual version of the TDI starter
Bosch SR0408X and SR0409X

what is the differenence

I have seen that SR0407X is for automatics but KarlM adapter choice makes the manual version work with ONLY the manual version of the starter ..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: