Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Half Pans vs Quarter Pans
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I go with half pans or patch together quarter pans?
Patch together some quarter pans and whatever else you have laying around and keep as much original metal as you can!
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Use half pans and make it pretty. Who cares that the half pans have that weird curved groove.
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 14

noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Half Pans vs Quarter Pans Reply with quote

I've been asking around, and there seems to be different schools of thought on pan replacement. I originally bought 3 quarter pans, thinking that's all I needed. But as I've ground rust off, I've found that I need all four quarters, plus the pan rails have some holes through them. The quarter pans I have are Tabco, from House of Ghia, and seem sturdy. Maybe 16 gauge? Currently available pan halves KGPR are 19 gauge, Dansk pans.

My pan rails are rusted through near the jack points and near the dog legs. I've received two opinions, one from a local custom/restoration shop owner, and one from a supplier. One said go with the pan halves since patching everything together will look like crap, and 19 gauge will do fine, and one said it's better to patch everything together with the thicker quarter pieces. (As I type this I'm thinking that quarters are going to be a PITA) I'm kind of leaning towards half pans from KGPR. What do ya'll think? It's a '62.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've welded new 1/2 pans in before, fixing the mess someone made with the 1/4 pans. They look awful. Plus, they didn't seam seal it correctly and in the end it rusted much worse then it was originally. Properly welded 1/2 pans look like the were installed by the factory. Whenever I look at cars to buy now, I lower my price when I see 1/4 pans. I think, where else did they not spend the money to do it right?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive that weird grove is for 72 and later heater lever wires.
If I see them on a pre 72 I know they have been replaced, a bonus if done right.
However I did replaced quarter pans on my ghia and butt welded them in solid, you wouldnt be able to tell I changed them, I still say half pan unless you can make the seam disapear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLKWRK wrote:
I beleive that weird grove is for 72 and later heater lever wires.
If I see them on a pre 72 I know they have been replaced, a bonus if done right.
However I did replaced quarter pans on my ghia and butt welded them in solid, you wouldnt be able to tell I changed them, I still say half pan unless you can make the seam disapear

Oh, it can be done. But the level of skill to correctly replace a 1/4 instead a half is MUCH higher.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with pan halves. They may take a little more work to get installed but I think you'll be much happier with them. If by the weird groove you mean the one in the front half that runs from the tunnel towards the heater channel, that's the groove that the cable fits into for the front foot heater vent. It connects to the front end of the heater/defroster lever.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hosspowerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id use pan halves as well. I put the patch panels in my car but it had very little rust. Yours sounds like it would take way too much work to fix with 1/4s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dink911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: 1/2 pans Reply with quote

1 vote for the 1/2 pans, It does look so much better Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment... or the moment defines you."

noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1/2 pans are what I've decided to do. After talking to two restorers, one near my office and one near my house today, it's the way to go. Both said that it's what they'd do. I've placed my order with KGPR.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did quarter pans on mine but i wish i had done the whole halvs. I ended up spending more time patching little crap that would have been delt with swiftly by just going to a whole piece. You will never know i put quarters in after paint but I spent alot of time grinding a welding to get it there.

I think you'll be happier in the end, good luck
Dustin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: