Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saggy Butt
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

How do I do a lift on a Saggy Back End. LOL
Its not really saggy, but just a slight bit lower than the front end. Is there an easy fix for this.
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Thers only one way to fix this, the right way, which would be to re-camber your rear suspention. You need to remove your spring plates and back them down a tooth or two. Every Thing owner should own a Bently type 1 manuel becuase it will help you out in a lot of situations! It will show you what to do.
I made a secret weapon for doing this, I took a VW jack and welded a bolt on the end of it, it helps you get the spring plates back up over the stops!!
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

There is only - opps
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Well, 1st of all, exersize and put the cookies down. Quit eating all that junk food!!!! J/K. Just do what i did to my 74 Thing, drop the front end with bug arms and spindles, problem solved.
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Thats about the worst advice I could think of!!!
Weaken your front suspention to compensate for a sagging rear suspension, why on earth would somebody want to do that?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

It's a valid option but unless you want a lowered thing the rear should be brought back up by reindexing. Here is a link that explains how to do just that,it is for a 70 bug, but the adjustments are done the same way on your thing,at the least this will give you a good idea how to do it.http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/rearaxle.html Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Sorry Chris181, have a sense of humor for pete's sake and put the cookies down. No, really, just do like Tim G. said and re-index the rear end, but be carefull, u really need to know what your doing, if not, u could loose a finger in not more. Those spindles are under a tremendous amounts of tension. I'd take it to a VW shop, but to each his own. Good luck and lets us know how u do it.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

This month in 181 magazine, there is an article on doing just what you have asked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

181 Magazine. ??? Have yet to see that!!
Send me a copy!!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Oh and I like the cookies, they are just too hard to put down, especially if you Got Milk!!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Or Oreos!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

saggy butt's make me want to toss my cookie's... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Ya,and when the front drops things don't get any better looking.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

What about putting coilover shocks on the back? I head they can lift the suspension 1-2 inches.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Saggy Butt Reply with quote

Yeah coil overs will do that, and KYB whites too... but the point is those are just band-aids, best to reset the torsion bars porperly if you can or as soon as you can...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: