Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Steering box removal Reply with quote

I am working on replacing my beam and I can't seem to fully remove the steering box, which is also leaving me. The rubber coupling is the only thing I can't manage to get off. Most I have seen are bolted in place. Mine however has fasteners I can't identify. They look like 4 rivets. Is this so? How do I get the things off. I don't want to cut them but I'm afraid I will have to.

Also I want to make sure I have everything accounted for in removing the beam.

Trailing arms
4 main bolts
2 body mount bolts
steering box and all other steering parts

It seems like the only thing holding the beam in place is the box right now but I am paranoid about breaking something by trying to force it off.
vpogv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the bolts that clamp the steering box/shaft mounts down on either side of the steering coupler. As far as your list of things to remove that's all you have to unbolt and unhook.
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about the steering shaft coupling, on mine (69) you have to remove the screw that clamps the coupler to the steering gear box shaft, not just loosen it. The shaft coming out of the gear box has a relief to allow the screw to lock the shaft, even though it's splined...It's that way on both sides of the coupler.

BTW, the clamp that holds the gear box to the axle tube has two positions. When reassembling you need to make sure you have it in the correct position. It changes the angle of the box. One is for the type 1 the other is for the type 2. The Bentley tells about it.

Hope this helps.

Jim
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue69Baja wrote:
If your talking about the steering shaft coupling, on mine (69) you have to remove the screw that clamps the coupler to the steering gear box shaft, not just loosen it. The shaft coming out of the gear box has a relief to allow the screw to lock the shaft, even though it's splined...It's that way on both sides of the coupler.

BTW, the clamp that holds the gear box to the axle tube has two positions. When reassembling you need to make sure you have it in the correct position. It changes the angle of the box. One is for the type 1 the other is for the type 2. The Bentley tells about it.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I believe the two different mounting positions are actually for Bug and Ghia(not Bus). Wink
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Blue69Baja wrote:

Hope this helps.

Jim

I believe the two different mounting positions are actually for Bug and Ghia(not Bus). Wink

OOP's, UR correct, there I go again pulling things outa my AXX
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue69Baja wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
Blue69Baja wrote:

Hope this helps.

Jim

OOP's, UR correct, there I go again pulling things outa my AXX

Damn brother, those clamps gotta hurt. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: