Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp cam gears
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: 36hp cam gears Reply with quote

Can I use later model, 40hp and newer, cam gears ina 36hp if I change both the gears? Maybe straight cut gears? They seem to be the same diameter and bore size and the spacing seems to be the same. Just have a different angle on the teeth. will they run OK with no cam thrust bearings? Thanks
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be better putting this thread in the vintage speed forum.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this would be the right forum because its an engine question. As in engine rebuilding.
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your running straight cut gears you really dont require double thrust cam bearings. Some either use 2 sets of standard cam bearings to make 1 double thrust "kit" or just buy mahle red box double thrust.

I have a set of 36HP cam gears at my shop. You just have to get a machinist to spot face the cam gear for the bolts for the cam. The helical cut angle is aprox 1/2 of a 60HP cam gear.

In the grand scheme of things the 36HP should be quieter than straight cuts and make less thrust (compared to 60hp) even when using stiff valve springs.

If you all that concerned buy some good quality billet straight cut gears. If you buy cheaper cast ones you just asking for trouble.

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

128vw wrote:
I thought that this would be the right forum because its an engine question. As in engine rebuilding.

And if you go read the vintage speed forums you will find all they talk about is 36/40 hps

Here is mainly a 1600+ knowledge base
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: