Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping near Banff AB
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Camping near Banff AB Reply with quote

I will be near Banff in 15-20 days to go snowboarding. Any ideas for a good spot to camp near the resort? I will probably ride 2 days and then continue on somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need a Park Pass for each day you are in the Park.

try googling Banff National Park to find if any of the campgrounds are open in winter. YOu might be able to stealth camp in town (Banff).
If you don't mind a drive each day you can park in Canmore, maybe. it is about 20 to Banff, maybe an hour to Lake Louise.

You might want to just spend a day or two at Sunshine and Lake Louise, and then head down to Golden, Kicking Horse Resort, about 2 hours west in BC. It is maybe 2 hours over to Revelstoke, biggest vertical in NA. or head south down the rocky mountain trench to Panorama, Fernie, or into the Kootenays to Nelson. Better get a move on cuz everything will close soon even though there is still snow.

DON'T GO BACK COUNTRY WITHOUT KNOWLEDGABLE LOCALS AND PROPER EQUIPMENT. PEOPLE ARE DIEING NEARLY EVERY WEEKEND. THE AVALANCHE DANGER IS EXTREME ALL YEAR THIS YEAR.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. If I could get away right now I would go to Revelstoke, Golden, and Fernie. then Nelson and Rossland on the way home. But you are going the other direction, your milage may vary.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Gordy. I will look into it further. I should pull out of here Wednesday if all goes well. I have a beacon, shovel, probe and have pretty good knowledge of backcountry riding. Chances are since I'm alone I wont be OB too much. Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Banff Camping Reply with quote

Both Banff (Tunnel Mountain Campground) and Lake Louise campground are open in the winter. Usually in the RV area only, so you have to pay for electricity ($$$$).

Stealth camping is 'allowed' during the winter down the Spray Lakes road south from Canmore past the Nordic Centre.

My advice is to blow past Sunshine and Louise (although they have had snow dumps in the last few days so they may be ok) and go straight to Kicking Horse in Golden. Lots of good stuff there.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
jetta90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it has been mentioned earlier, let me also bring attention to the avalanche danger in the back country this year. One should always use caution but this year is particularly bad and we are just starting to hit warmer weather. This means the top layer of snow will start melting then freezing from day to night. The resulting heavy additonal weight up on top layer will make the ower layers very unstable.
It will come down. Be aware!!
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said....
and you need more tuna! Laughing
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in Canmore, go to the Grizzly Paw for a pint. Nothing like a micro-brew in the mountains. Canmore has lots of spots to park, the hard part is finding somewhere level. I lived in my subaru for a few weeks one winter until I could get an apt. (sure wish I had my van then Cool ). Banff is a lot more strict about overnight parking. Have fun...
paddyh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to tell you that you should rather hit up Castle, Fernie and maybe Revelstoke...but then you'd be one more person likely to be in front of me(as I like to sleep in), so I won't..that said if you find yerself "south" of Banff, there's lots of camping spots nearby these hills...

ps-you need at least 3 times the Bush Beans you have :>
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to camp at tunnel mountain, and plug in an electric space heater to keep the van toasty overnight, and keep our boots from freezing overnight. It was, and still is a cheap alternative to the motels, and hotels in the park. There's also a Y in Banff at the old hospital, that isn't to spendy. I agree with the Golden recommendation too, that is a great hill! Haven't tried Revelstoke yet, but it sounds epic.

Have fun, and stay in bounds, there have been way too many back country deaths this year!

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: