Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

010 Mech dizzy, help please.
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: 010 Mech dizzy, help please. Reply with quote

Am i right in thinking that does an early bus 010 distributor have mechanical advance as opposed to the vacuum unit i have on my judson 30hp? I am having a starting problem when the engine is hot sometimes and i dont think that the vacuum advance unit is working correctly all the time. Rather than just replace with a similar unit am i going to get a slight performance gain with an 010?
If so how available are they? Rare???
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bosch 010 was used on late 50's Type 2s and they are mechanical only.

They are not that rare if you're willing to pay.

You can find them on ebay, the Samba classified and I sell restored ones when I have them in stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have a VJU4Br8 and thy can be rebuild/fixed. As to which is better for a Judson, you should talk to John Moxon since he's the most knowledgeable. And he's on your side of the pond.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much ? :D
edfall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 010 actually was never used on production VWs. It was the factory replacement for the BR 25 used from May '59 through July '60 on the bastard 40hp bus--one year only. Both distributors provide 10 degrees advance at the distributor at 1400 rpm (double these values for crankshaft rpm). For strictly stock engines, your dual vacuum/mechanical VJU 4 BR 8 distributor (if properly functioning) provides superior performance even when compared to the 010 particularly under partial throttle acceleration. However, in your case, with the Judson, you'll probably want to run either an 010 or an 019. For one thing it's difficult to hook up the vacuum line so most people run a mechanical advance distributor. The 019 (the factory replacement for the bus BR 8) is generally preferred since it has less overall advance and comes in slower than the 010 (8 degrees at 1600 rpm vs that of the 010 listed above). With the Judson, your engine will work better with the slightly slower curve on the 019 since the engine really won't begin to pick up on the power curve until the rpms come in. Hope this helps.

Ed Fall
Vintage Werks LLC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can run a Scintilla magneto Cool

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough room!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: