Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please one more bn-4 question?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Please one more bn-4 question? Reply with quote

I've totally taken my heater apart.Found these points under fan cleaned and filed got them to work.QUESTION>>> is there another set of points uder these, towards the combution chamber that work on the 33 revs to 1 opening of points ,because theset in pic open once per rev. of fan.So I figure their must be another set that operate pump pulse?Please Ive read every thread .wireing dia. I see this thing in my sleep.Need pulse,oh yeah I also tried by jump temp switch no help.Alot I read is german or for differewnt models so it get confusing at times.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Please one more bn-4 question? Reply with quote

I've never taken a heater apart, so I may be mistaken, but I think there may be a second set of points that run off a reduction gear. Have a look at this page (you'll have to switch from German to French . . .):

http://www.181spirit.com/tech_chauffage_bn4/tech_chauffage_bn4.htm

man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH thank you,thank you Mr. Capt. thats what I've been looking for I wish I would have found them before I put it back together, but no worries I will fix it ,It will not win ,I shall have heat!!!!! I hope...
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain my Captain, to quote Dead Poets Society.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, second set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty soon you'll be the guy to send heaters to for repair. Cool
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Epperson wrote:
Yup, second set.

So the geared points send a pulse to the fuel pump. What do the other ones do. Pulse to the glow plug?
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell the first set goes to coil which pulses glow plug.If I could read german I'd probably understand more they seem to only translate parts of the directions,It really does'nt say much about second set only to mention them here and there,Like I have not seen anything on what gap the second set would be or even if there ajustable.It's called points for fuel metering valve.From the pic they dont look like normal points so I guess when I open it up I'll figure it out.But that pic sure helps Ifound one like it but to dark to see detail and could'nt figure what it was till I saw your good pic.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Ian Epperson wrote:
Yup, second set.

So the geared points send a pulse to the fuel pump. What do the other ones do. Pulse to the glow plug?
Yes it does.

You can see the worm gear driving the points for the pump (one click every 33? turns) but the cam driving the points for the spark rotates with each turn of the fan.

For the fuel pump points, the shaft for that biggest gear has a cam at the end (the part that isn't making contact is dirty, the part that is is clean). It's very slight and easy to miss when you just eyeball it. It pushes down on the point arm to open the contacts. See that big set screw to the right (we see it on side here)? That's how you adjust the point gap. The manual says a specific number, but Daddie'O's cam was so worn that it wouldn't close when we set it to the recommended spec - so we eyeballed a setting that would have it closed for a bunch of degrees of rotation the open for the rest of the time. We verified it with an ohmmeter to make sure it was making and breaking contact as it spun (lotta spinning to get it to rotate).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have'nt pulled it apart again yet to look, but to get to the second set of points .Do you pull the rear cast looking fan off ? As you do to get to the first set of points ? Or does the case split and their in the middle.
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind found other pic ,the second set is under rear cast fan held on by allen head bolt onto shaft ,By the way if anyone can read French, translating any important info in section 4 of the link that the Capt. put in post a few back would be greatly aprieciated.

Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man130 wrote:
By the way if anyone can read French, translating any important info in section 4 of the link that the Capt. put in post a few back would be greatly aprieciated.

http://www.181spirit.com/

Just click on the American flag for the english (translated via Bablefish) version of this site. Though not the greatest way of translating, you should be able to get the general idea of what is being said.

If you are still having trouble then just contact (PM, email) pjmacua directly and I'm sure he would be happy to help with the translation. It's his site and he speaks excellent English.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babelfish english translation of a french translation from the original german technical terms? Shocked

if you need explanations of any german you're not quite clear on i can probably explain it in english you might understand. and no doubt i'll learn something new about eberspachers into the bargain. Wink
man130
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun181/Oorwullie thanks for help and offer to translate ,but I finally woke up and found it ,orig. I saw pics of each points and thought they were for different models of heaters. Not knowing their were 2 sets in each heater,so I only looked at the first one I saw(glow plug points) but anyway gap set is the same for each is .4mm or .0157 in..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: