Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear glass removal (with conditions)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Rear glass removal (with conditions) Reply with quote

I've looked around a bit and haven't found any posts that seem to address this particular circumstance...

I'm looking for ideas on how to remove my rear glass and (hopefully) preserve the rubber seal in the process. Under conventional circumstances I could pull this off fairly easily (in fact, I did so originally), however I'm in the unexpected situation where I've already separated the pan from the body, so my body is sitting on top of a pair of sawhorses meaning I don't have any leverage to push out the glass and seal. I don't want to cut and replace the perfectly good seal unless I absolutely have to, so please let me know if you have any suggestions.

The back story for those who are interested: I bought my 69 about two years ago, drove it for about a year and then decided to do a full, pan-off restoration. However, when I bought the car, the rear window seal was leaking so I replaced it immediately to stem any further damage. About a year ago, I separated the pan and body to start the restoration; I didn't pull any of the glass because I was going to reuse the same body. The complicating factor came last week when I got my hands on a near-pristine body that will save me a ton of the body work I was expecting to have to do with the original body, hence the desire to pull the rear glass without damaging the seal while the body is up on sawhorses.

Cheers.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut the seal and replace it with a new one. You're going so deep that it makes zero sense to cheap out on the seal.
mschulze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a friend (about 6'5", 250lb) on the outside pushing in on the body around the window while your are inside pushing out on the window at the same spot with the aid of a well padded stiff putty knife would get the job done. If the seals have only been on about a year and it sounds like they have probably been out of the weather, the would most likely be pretty supple yet for this. You could aid the operation by squirting some silicon spray under the lip on the inside of the car. Good Luck!

My Car's Thread -- http://www.rosecityvolksters.com/smf/index.php/topic,2092.0.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, lacking a 6'5", 250 lb comrade, I went ahead and cut out the seal. *sigh* I had hoped for another alternative, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy as...

just get a blade screw driver and lift one corner of the inside lip and apply a bit of pressure to the window
wont be enough to move the body and the rubber will start jumping the lip as you work your way around

even on old shitty rubbers that arent being reused i find this 100x quicker than cutting the rubber
puddle pirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't risk breaking the glass. Then again I also have 2 extra rear windows. The new glass, if you break it, will cost a lot more than getting a new seal.

Yes, you can do the seal without the car being stable. I would spray silicone behind the seal. You will need help and a suction cup. That way the person on the outside can pull and brace themselves on the car as you pry put the seal from the inside. You will need several screwdrivers to do it without breaking the glass.

Good luck
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggin_74 wrote:
easy as...

just get a blade screw driver and lift one corner of the inside lip and apply a bit of pressure to the window
wont be enough to move the body and the rubber will start jumping the lip as you work your way around

even on old shitty rubbers that arent being reused i find this 100x quicker than cutting the rubber

I agree, I just came in from doing this on a late Mexican car as they have a unique seal profile I didn't want to have to replace.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwdriver? No way. Perhaps a wide, sturdy wooden shim, but not a screwdriver. Too great of a chance to chip the glass (Been there, done that) when the rubber is very old.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: