Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rock N Roll bed measurements / how to (z bed)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Rock N Roll bed measurements / how to (z bed) Reply with quote

Finding the measurements or any directions for installing a rock and roll bed, z-bed (yes I know it is not a z bed, but many call it that), is nearly impossible, and the measurements included are incorrect/not sufficient. Hope you find the informantion usefull (YMMV), and I attached links to two other write ups which include similar information (I didn't find the second until after I was finished, thanks type2.com members for the link).

I made two modifications for my application which I will address and you may/may not wish to do. I wanted a slight recline for comfort, and I wanted an easily removable bed so mine attaches to the t-bolts and the previously installed seat belt mounts. I also made my seat base longer so that the bed would be longer for me. Both attached links show cut out handles, I found it just as easy to use the support brackets to open and pull the seat base forward.

Parts required
* Hinges from Just Kampers (UK) or Bus Depot (US)
* 2 -- 3/4 inch 4x8 sheets of ply -- I used birch from Home Depot
* Bolts/screws -- need quite a few, I used stainless, and longer ones for the brackets.
* 2 -- 4ft angle iron, I used it for connection points, you could use wood etc.
* 1 -- 4ft u-channel alum strip for a cap to protect from the mounts on the front facing.
* pretreatment, stain, sealer.
* Drill bits, tape measure, circular saw, jig saw.

Have you lumber supplier cut the large pieces, it will save you a lot of time, and you will have straight long cuts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Start with your side supports, this is the only really challenging portion. Cut two 14 1/4 by 16 1/2 pieces and scribe your wheel arch with the jig saw, i used one of my interior panels as a pattern (If you are not using a base piece, add 3/4" to the 14 1/4). Then drill your rear most hinge hole, line up your hinge to make sure your front hole is in the right location and drill the second (if you don't wish your seat to have a recline, drop the front bolt down about a 1/4 inch).

You will be tempted to increase the width of your bed, don't. 55" is the maximum you can go with these hinges, the reason is the bus narrows towards the roof. 55" barely clears my pop out latches, I may have clearance issues when I add the foam pads/upholstery, so you may even wish to go with 54"

Assemble the basic box before you work with the seat base and seat back. Bottom, sides, then front. My base is designed to attach to the t-bolts, sides sit on top of the base, but the front goes in front of the base, for visual. Then install the seat base and seat back.

Finally decide where cross support and support brackets will be located. you will need to measure the gap when flat to get the right height of the cross support. I added a second taller cross piece in front of the cross support to add additional front tilt support. Once you determine the location of your metal support, you can notch the front panel to accomodate the support bracket, this is designed to keep the bed from falling/tilting forward when you sit on the edge.

I cut a rectangle where my t-bolts install to hold down the OG seat, and the t-bolt slides in as originally designed, add a large fender washer and it installs easy.

Instead of drilling another hole and attaching the rear of the hinge, I used 90 degree metal and attached my side plates to my existing seat belt mounting plate. If you are not adding seatbelts, bolt the back side of the hinge, however, don't forget that the gas tank is directly behind that mounting location.

Good luck, let me know if you need any clarification, feel free to add your own opinions or share any critisism or better ideas.
Dean

http://www.aircooledtech.com/camper_interior/z-bed_install/
http://volkswagens.wikia.com/wiki/How_we_fitted_JK_Hinged_RockNRoll_bed_into_a_split_bus

Last edited by EDragnDean on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info, thx, i've been looking into doing this for some time.

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a rear heater tube in this bus?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice write up. I just finished rebuilding Sandra's because I made it too wide. I had it 56 1/4 which was nice and wide, but like you mentioned, it hit. I probably narrowed too much but now it's right at 53" which is fine.
Now to install the foam and get covers made.
J-dot, the heater tube has to be cut out and an extension made to have just an ~ 3" round outlet in the base of the bed.
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tutorial and clean job as well.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the stock heater tube in my 63 and DO NOT want to cut it out!! Any modifications to the seat possible instead?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a heater tube, cut out by PO. You can eliminate the base piece, the directions only show a three sided box, or like the second link I attached you could modify the base to accomodate the heater tube, you would need to extend the sides out approx three inches additional, and you would want to cut vent holes in the facing so the heat goes forward.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking there should be a way to box around the heater, and even create a vent setup to keep the heater working.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
flabay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I got screwed! I'm missing the support brackets for mine. I bought my hinges at a show, and didn't get any support brackets with them. Thay weren't mentioned either. I've been trying to figure out how to fashion some supports for the front when in the bed position. I was leaning towards foldable aluminum legs until I ran across this post. Please see my post.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351478&highlight=

Is there any way you could trace me out a pattern of one of your support brackets? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I'll send you a PM.
Still can't figure out how to install this Charcoal Can right with my 40mm dual solex carbs. PM me please.
Click to view image
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the support brackets. are you going to the bus campout at ginny springs the weekend of the 15th of may?
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheesy pics, but all I had was my cell phone

measurements

13 1/2 inch total length. 1 1/2 inches flat at each end, screw points. 10 inch long run at the long angle with a total height of 4 1/4 inch. 3 3/4 inch verticle before the jog back that leads to the total upright.

Last edited by EDragnDean on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
all that stuff...

How tall are you?
I haven't ever quite understood these beds, does the mattress go from right next to the tailgate to the end of that bit that flips up? I think my legs (or head) would hang off the end, leaving me with cold legs or a broken neck. At the moment I have an interior made by a crazy swede and its alright, but it runs from the bulkhead to the last window (11 window bus) It means that there isn't much that isn't bed in the back and with a bulkhead and an ambulance divider I can't get in the front without going outside, I like the idea of having an area at the end where I can sit and chill
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and nice work by the way
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'11" my feet hang off the edge lengthwise about 6", but I fit good at an angle. And thanks.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malachai wrote:
oh and nice work by the way

Agreed.
I was not baggin on your work, I was just curious about the heater thing.
Great documentation, as well.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
chipmcluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I wasn't even aware that repro hinges were available! Are they pricey? I built mine almost identically, but used junkyard hinges off a bay westy. Works great though I keep it up most of the time.

EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Tighter I think than my set up. Hinges are $119 at bus depot.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=98553
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, total bed length is 5' 10", back bed is 32" x 48" as i have a walk through.
flabay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Need Brackets Reply with quote

Does anyone have an extra set of the support brackets that bolt underneath? I am still in need of these. Happy to pay a fair price. Thanks.
Still can't figure out how to install this Charcoal Can right with my 40mm dual solex carbs. PM me please.
Click to view image
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw this advertiser an offer for his

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=751467
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: