Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and bay questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Engine and bay questions Reply with quote

Ok...i know it isn't pretty, but it know runs....

My questions are, how many pieces is the cover for the whole engine bay and how is it setup? Also anyone make their own? and with what?
Also open to any comments on what still is needed and or what was done wrong lol. Fan shroud cover and heater boxes tubes are already on their way...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like someone cut out your whole engine bay deck. you're going to have a b*tch of a time putting it back to stock-- looks like a lot of the structural support for the deck has been cut out along with the skin.

You may have an easier time just fabbing a cover rather than trying to rebuild what has been hacked out... but it can and should be done with donor pieces.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that engine is going to blow oil all over. That breather is for a closed crankcase vent system, and you do not have that without the fuel injection.

You can see part of the engine bay here.
Just mirror that to the other side.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
And that engine is going to blow oil all over. That breather is for a closed crankcase vent system, and you do not have that without the fuel injection.

You can see part of the engine bay here.
Just mirror that to the other side.

Sorry what piece is it i am suppose to be looking at? I know i am missing a lot ....
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
it looks like someone cut out your whole engine bay deck. you're going to have a b*tch of a time putting it back to stock-- looks like a lot of the structural support for the deck has been cut out along with the skin.

You may have an easier time just fabbing a cover rather than trying to rebuild what has been hacked out... but it can and should be done with donor pieces.

Thats what i figured, the only part i have is the removable lid, what have others used to fab a custom deck out of? I am looking to remove the beetle carb linkage so that its flush.....just not sure what materials would be best....
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe i am missing hose that goes in those spots as well as a road tube from the oil breather.....
RafCarre12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock metal looks like this

And your engine is covered as such: (ignore the red outlines; this shot is my 'before' picture and the one above is the 'after' when the metal has been cut of and replaced with donor pieces)

The opening to access your engine has been trimmed and is now way too big.
RafCarre12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your metal, it is similar to what I needed to do to replace what is pictured above.

Essentially, I did this:

This is the donor piece. It gives you an idea of the channels in there. I only needed the upper skin.

There are a bunch of pictures in my gallery if you want to see more. I don't want to spam your thread more than I already have.
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RafCarre12 wrote:
Looking at your metal, it is similar to what I needed to do to replace what is pictured above.

Essentially, I did this:

This is the donor piece. It gives you an idea of the channels in there. I only needed the upper skin.

There are a bunch of pictures in my gallery if you want to see more. I don't want to spam your thread more than I already have.

wow i didn't realize it was that much i was missing...... lol this is not an easing sourcing donors.....

Anyone done something from scratch?
RafCarre12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about making it from scratch but I worried that making the floor from flat sheet metal wouldn't do much for the rigidity of the piece since the stock piece have the contours. I doubt you'd need as much rigidity since yours is a fasty and not a square like mine but that is how I decided to go.

Take a look at this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=749924
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RafCarre12 wrote:
I thought about making it from scratch but I worried that making the floor from flat sheet metal wouldn't do much for the rigidity of the piece since the stock piece have the contours. I doubt you'd need as much rigidity since yours is a fasty and not a square like mine but that is how I decided to go.

Take a look at this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=749924

well i figured that sheet metal with a few cross beams would cover support and not add too much weight.

Emailed that guy.... thnx!!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Raf posted above in black is what you're missing. It might be easier to install that section in pieces (like Raf did), rather than 1 big piece like it is missing. If you look at the front section that Raf did on his, he drilled out the spot welds, and plug welded them closed. Yours has the reinforcement pieces underneath already, you just need to cover it over. Flat sheetmetal will rattle something terrible, that's part of the reason for the shapes (eliminating harmonics). Try and get as much of the donor metal (for replacement) as you can, as that'll make fitting it back in easier.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insipid wrote:

i believe i am missing hose that goes in those spots as well as a road tube from the oil breather.....

Are there any other hoses that are missing?
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that i can see from here, but I would ditch that clean blue dist. cap in a hurry.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small fitting coming out of the head is a crankcase breather for a 73 engine. It needs to go to the air cleaner, or a breather box. Should be one on the other head in the same place. The one from the center of the engine, is the remains of the aux. air regulator. It does not need to be connected. Cap it.
The one to the far left is part of the heater system. I would not worry about it for now.
The big fittings coming off the fan housings need to be capped to prevent cooling air loss.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thomas the 66 fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the fresh air hose from the fan housing to the heater box is missing. This will help with cooling.
insipid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas the 66 fastback wrote:
It looks like the fresh air hose from the fan housing to the heater box is missing. This will help with cooling.

its capped off at the moment and i an building a hose to reconnect them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: