Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Apr 09 update 36 HP HP-LSR Challenge
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvilletom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Apr 09 update 36 HP HP-LSR Challenge Reply with quote

Well it looks like some of the "Big Dogs" have been busy building top notch 36'ers during the winter. The Blackline crew in Utah is coming out with a big stroker for the DSS class with all kinds of neat machine work and trick parts with a new car (See Blackline website).

The Bruce Cook shop, B&C Motors in N.C. with the Pristine 51 split is building a 1493 cc big bore stroker with dual Solex carbs, cast single port manifolds, highly modified single port heads, special valve train for a go at the DSS record in May at Maxton, NC.

The "Beaver Geezers" from California with their stone stock 58 sedan are well under way. I met all these folks at Bonneville last fall, great group of people. Their plan is to dyno the motor at ACE in Utah before the Sept USFRA meet.

Britt Grannis & Paul Cullen, the Irish racers are building a 36 HP for the stone stock class and may be using two cars. A 1965 sedan and a 1963 Ghia coupe. We need more information on these cars.

I'm sure there are more people building cars that we don't know about so let us know of others. From the large group of interested men at the 36 HP supper last Sept at Bonneville, there was lots of interest.

Back in the Iowa cornfields, us "Little Dogs" are busy building a 1415 cc. 76 mm stroker to run in the SSS (Super Stock Single), it is a stock appearing class, that we plan to race in May at Maxton, NC. I think this class is very challenging because it is a restrictor plate type motor, 28 PCI carb and 36 HP intake manifold and then whatever you want to do to make it run hard. What will work and what will not work to make power!!
This is one big experiment, do you make really good breathing heads only to have them trottled back by the small Solex and restrictive manifold. Maybe long duration cam, maybe very high compression?? There is really no one to ask that I know of. I tried this class back in 2005 and was not very sucessful. I went 81.22 MPH in the mile with several problems. This year will be a rebuild of the same basic motor, different heads and valve train and some more experience.

Bville Tom

1970 Porsche 914/6 – 2 liter LSR record holder
1992 Metro Sedan – 1 liter LSR records
1987 Chevy Turbo Sprint – under construction
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Tom! I just came home from Utah after being schooled by Ed Fall on rebuilding the 28 Pic carb. Ed let me look over his shoulder as he rebuilt my carb and it was awesome. I left with the carb, 010 Distributor, and fuel pump rebuilt and in pristine condition. Here in Calif. I've just poured a 15' x 30' cement pad along side of my garage in preparation to erect my 30' x 48' steel shop. Tomorrow the Ghia gets rolled onto the pad and body seperated from the pan. Paul has the engine bottom end at the engine builders in Ireland and the Heads have been tanked and are in England at the head gurus shop ready to be rebuilt. We also will pester Art for some Dyno time prior to the Sept meet on the salt. Look forward to seeing you and the east coast guys soon!
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: 36hp High Speed Racing(Oxymoron?) Reply with quote

2009 should be a fast year for 36hp land speed racing. Lots of activity.
Looking forward to seeing everyones progress after Tom and Gaylens 103 miles pass(es) last year at Bonneville.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blacklineracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can hardly wait until september. We were excited to here that we would have some competition in our class this year. We have a lot more work to complete before we are salt ready, but getting to bonneville this year is our one and only goal. Thanks for the encouraging words Tom, it means a lot coming from you. Good luck with your project, and good luck to all of the other 36hp challengers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: