Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Just got my new vanagon, needs work, I have some questions Reply with quote

I bought a 1989 water cooled vanagon gl

my dads a mechanic and sayed I need new cylinder heads, gasket set, the temperature sensor for the fan, and periodic tune up stuff and new fluids. I also plan on changing all fuel lines, replacing some seals for the engine compartment door,

I plan on doing most of it on my own though. I am curious to which manual i should buy. I have heard many using the "bentley" manual. Ive heard also its not good for actually repairing things step by step. should I buy the manual anyways? ive posted a link below to see if its the one that is for my vanagon.

http://www.tower.com/volkswagen-vanagon-official-f.../102027070

i was wondering if there are any other repair manuals for my vanagon that would show step my step instructions. I stumbled upon this manual which is on a cd and says "all repairs a-z", anyone use this manual before? heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-1991-VW-VANAGO...otohosting

Ive been to the site called "been there done that" and for some reason some of the topics dont show up for me. Is there any other instructions on the web for my vanagon in particular?

Also, I am on budget, so i will be trying to make most things as cheap as possible (without sacrificing quality) for most of the parts. I was wondering of cheaper places than the ones i found for the parts mentioned. i will not sacrifice for good quality parts though, im willing to pay more for something that will last longer

cylinder head( i understand i need two of them) for 389.95 dollars
http://www.evwparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=025101065C

fuel line replacment kit (is this a good quality one? is there a better one/safer one out there?)
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_499_965/fuel_line_replacement_kit.html

engine gasket set 110 dollars (anything cheaper/better?)
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_621_928/cylinder_head_gasket_set.html

sorry for all the questions, thanks!
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything other than the fuel link kit i should order to make it safer? i plan on sleeping in the vanagon quit a lot, so i want to make sure everything is in good order to do so.
anything suggestions on things i should do just for saftey measures?

oh and these are some pictures of my new van:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hahaha
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Bentley you will need it maybe ebay might as well get it used it is
going to get greasy anyway. I hope your father really loves you this will help. Welcome to the the club you will need all that enthusiasm to get
through vanagon ownership. Great for dates when you tell them the vanagon will not start they will believe you. Any of those gas kits should work just keep checking for leaks the first 100 are so miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations man, that's a nice rig.

Plan on dropping the engine for the cylinder head job, it's much easier to replace them on a stand. And consider buying a new clutch while you're at it.
I'd ask your dad when he changed the brake fluid last, if it's been a few years change it. And go over the brakes to make sure your pads, shoes, and cylinders are in good shape.

Also change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been done in a while.

Definitely get the Bently and also check out Ben's site, there's a ton of great info here: www.benplace.com (especially on head work)

Van Cafe and GoWesty are good parts resources, and check out Halsey in Portland, he's got good prices.

Cheers,

Chris
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! I just ordered the bentley book from van-cafe. i found out i live 30 minutes from them, it should come any day.

what my real plans are is to live in this vanagon because i am going to college and have 2 jobs, the only time i go home is to sleep, might as well just sleep in my vanagon. any suggestions on how to make this thing car jacker proof? i plan on blocking the windows somehow and maybe put in a car alarm.

any tips for making it more secure from theifs?

how hard is it to replace fuel lines? any tips on how to do it right?
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1240106884660/page_493_972/fuel_tank_reseal_kit_a.html

what is a fuel tank reseal kit? will it make the van safer to sleep in?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errolprowse wrote:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1240106884660/page_493_972/fuel_tank_reseal_kit_a.html

what is a fuel tank reseal kit? will it make the van safer to sleep in?

If your fuel tank doesn't leak and can pass smog, you don't need the kit.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a Haynes manual. much easier to read for the layman than the Bentley. then graduate to the Bentley.
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your slider windows and make sure you can't open them from the outside. If you can, then maybe you need new bushings along the bottom edges of the slider section (http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_989_1377/sliding_window_guide_piece_bushing.html).

Check the locking mechanism on your wing windows too. These are easy entry points for someone who wants your stuff.

Good luck, Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satchmo wrote:
Check your slider windows and make sure you can't open them from the outside. If you can, then maybe you need new bushings along the bottom edges of the slider section (http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_989_1377/sliding_window_guide_piece_bushing.html).

Check the locking mechanism on your wing windows too. These are easy entry points for someone who wants your stuff.

Good luck, Tim

Thats a good posting there satchmo....I think most of us consider the usual items to fix but over look the suspect entry points that might need to be replaced too.

If I can add something else to the post without hijacking it..I would also like to add to the list of things to consider and that would be the The Auto Lock which can be used to secure the clutch/brake from being engaged.

Welcome aboard errolprowse and stay safe Exclamation

Last edited by RCB on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thats a good posting there satchmo....I think most of us consider the usual items to fix but over look the suspect entry points that might need to replaced too.

If I can add something else to the post without hijacking it..I would also like to add to the list of things to consider and that would be the The Auto Lock which can be used to secure the clutch/brake from being engaged.

Welcome aboard errolprowse and stay safe

i totally agree, with all the work i have to put in it, i would hate to get it stolen or anything inside stolen

i was almost thinking about some way of putting metal bars over the windows, anyone do this before?
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satchmo wrote:

Good luck, Tim

yea, i checked them and they seem alright, im going to put a dowel in the canal where the window slides, so then you really cant open it
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Wayne wrote:
get a Haynes manual. much easier to read for the layman than the Bentley. then graduate to the Bentley.

i just looked for the haynes manual, but i could only find them with older model vanagons, is there any out there for 1989 vanagons??
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice vanagon my fav color. funny pic, you look like a happy crazed scottsmen Think btw get the Bentley find a used one http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&am...mp;spell=1
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

errolprowse wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:

i just looked for the haynes manual, but i could only find them with older model vanagons, is there any out there for 1989 vanagons??

I fully support buying a Haynes manual for a Bay Window bus, for a Vanagon though the Haynes to me seems to be seriously lacking. The Bentley is not really that super for DYIers, but by default I think it the best manual for the Vanagon.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

Yeah ......... get a Haynes Manual and while your at it, get an interpreter as well! And, almost every page there's something about being careful, precautions, go back to another page, etc.

Nothing beats a Bentley, unless its an official VW Factory Manual!

My two cents!

Welcome and enjoy your Vanagon!
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found out my dads going to help me put the cylinder heads and stuff on but i have to do it all myself at home.

what i need:
guide to taking out the engine on my 1989 vanagon gl
instructions for changing cylinder heads/ gaskets
How to take the engine out at home (thinking some jacks with a engine lift, any tips?)

i just ordered the bentley manual, does this manual have what i need?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the Bentley, Haynes, or much of any other manual that I know of is going to give you very good step by step instructions on how to pull an engine, maybe Muir's Idiot book would be the best. Check Ratwell.com for information that applies primarily to air cooled buses, but would be very similar to water cooled as far as engine pulling goes, and check Ben's website, his stuff is water cooled Vanagon specific. Everything you want to know is probably on the pages of Samba as well, get familiar with the search function.
errolprowse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see, i just got the tracking number for my bentley (i will have it tomorrow), so i will study it like my college text books, hopefully everything i need will be in there.
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stoked One,

If I had a sweet ass vanagon like yours when I was your age, I would be just as stoked as you seem! A few bits of advice:

Search this forum. It has more info than any Haynes/Bentley/ebay cd put together! There are years of knowledge and professional (and some unprofessional) expertise here. If you are doing it, then it has been done 200 times before! I have found Van-Cafe to by my best source for parts. Personally, I have not had the greatest of luck w/ ebay. Also, search thesamba classifieds. I picked up a pair of AMC heads for $200, in great condition. It all depends on what your budget is!

Get the Bentley, search this forum, ask when you get stuck, you will love your van. Welcome to the Vanagon Owners Club.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: