Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shopping List for Yandina
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Shopping List for Yandina Reply with quote

I have been doing a ton of research on here about the yandina, and aux batteries and am getting ready to pull the trigger. I am wondering if it would be easiest to just buy the gowesty kit and replace the solenoid with a yandina. Or buy my own wiring?

Anyone have a "shopping list" for a yandina setup?

Last edited by Santana on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating the same thing.
My current thought is to do the GoWesty 'kit' (bag of reclaimed parts? Wink and replace the isolator with the Yandina.

Then I think 'cost' and wonder if I should just get wires myself....but maybe part of the GoWesty price are the instructions....though I hear they're fairly basic...

I'm encouraged by J8's experience though:
http://wanderwagen.com/

So far, I think I'll just get the GW kit and install that, see how it works, then maybe upgrade to the Yandina later (assuming that's a troublefree upgrade). If that sticks for a couple days, next on the list is reading to figure out the best battery....

Sometimes I think I overthink things!
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the GW kit IMO. You'll only wish you had opted for the Yandina first. Besides, the Yandina is an easier install and far more efficient.

The only nice thing about the GW kit is that they give directions for wiring your stereo and lighter to the auxiliary battery. Look around here for a few minutes and you'll find the same information.
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolmoe wrote:
I'm debating the same thing.
My current thought is to do the GoWesty 'kit' (bag of reclaimed parts? Wink and replace the isolator with the Yandina.

Then I think 'cost' and wonder if I should just get wires myself....but maybe part of the GoWesty price are the instructions....though I hear they're fairly basic...

I'm encouraged by J8's experience though:
http://wanderwagen.com/

So far, I think I'll just get the GW kit and install that, see how it works, then maybe upgrade to the Yandina later (assuming that's a troublefree upgrade). If that sticks for a couple days, next on the list is reading to figure out the best battery....

Sometimes I think I overthink things!
KM

I figured there were other people out there thinking about doing the Yandina as well. With the Yandina being on sale right now it is the perfect time. I just ordered mine tonight.

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

1621 thank you for your input! I think that I will just go the yandina route.

Does anyone have a list of wiring and connectors available?
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, 1621 is a good salesman. I hope he gets his commission...I just ordered the C100 tonight myself Wink

The http://www.yandina.com/combInfo.htm Yandina site has a decent FAQ it seems, and this page http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/relay.htm has instructions which are way too complicated for me to follow this evening.
Both of those pointed out to me by other Samba folks (thanks!).

I think I'll resume a site search this weekend and see what I can piece together. Any distillation you come up with, please share (as I will).

Back to battery searching...
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang I need to get on this as well. Got an AutoPC project in development.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Yandina is always on sale. It was on sale when I bought it a year ago.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find GoWesty a bit annoying since they wanna sell information.

They are not a group that wants to keep the old Vanagons in service so much as to make $$.

Just connect a Yandina to the 2 batts. That is very simple and you can figure out how to wire the accessories into the aux batt. later...
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping List for Yandina Reply with quote

1991VanagonCarat wrote:
I have been doing a ton of research on here about the yandina, and aux batteries and am getting ready to pull the trigger. I am wondering if it would be easiest to just buy the gowesty kit and replace the solenoid with a yandina. Or buy my own wiring?

Anyone have a "shopping list" for a yandina setup?

I used 8AWG wire to run between the two battery boxes, and to ground the aux battery. I would guess that 6' would cover it. (I also used it to connect my amp and aux fuse panel to the aux battery)

I got a big fuse holder to put between the main battery to the Yandina.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062255
^^Similar to this - using a 40a fuse. (I also used two to protect my amp and aux fuse panel from the aux battery)

I got a SPDT switch for the optional switching function of the yandia. The only time I ever threw this switch, is when I was testing the function. It's not really important. I had a switch, so I coudn't help hooking it up.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062515

The wire and the fuse is all you really need to hook up the yandina.

Once you hook it up, you'll need to figure out what you want your your aux battery to power. Then you'll need to think about the wires, fuses, and supplies for that.

I have a carat, and this is how I installed the stuff.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2404727

It took me longer to get started because I also wanted to make sure I had everything. I started mocking up my install as the parts came in. It took me a few orders, and a few trips to the store before I had everything. Since my van is my daily driver, I wanted to do it right, and only take the van apart once. This is the mock-up of what I put under the driver's seat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shop at Marine stores/websites. They usually have a better selection of 12v acessories.

Last edited by McVanagon on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon thanks so much for your reply! I have been referencing your aux battery setup for a couple of days. Wonderful writeup, great pics and a clean install.

The main question I had was for hooking up the aux fuse panel. How much wire and what gauge I would need. I am going to be hooking up both of my power amplifiers and power inverter directly to the aux battery. I think the only other things running to the actual aux fuse panel is my stereo, interior lights and cig lighter. I am planning on buying the Blue Sea 5025 6 circuit with negative bus.

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/products/5025
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping List for Yandina Reply with quote

[quote="McVanagon"]
1991VanagonCarat wrote:

^^Similar to this - using a 40a fuse. (I also used two to protect my amp and aux fuse panel from the aux battery)

For some reason I thought you would need to use a much bigger slow blow type of fuse. What am I missing?

82 Diesel Westy
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shopping List for Yandina Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
McVanagon wrote:
1991VanagonCarat wrote:

For some reason I thought you would need to use a much bigger slow blow type of fuse. What am I missing?

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The aux buss has not pulled more than 40 amps from the main battery yet.

If I do, I have plenty of higher rated options available. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the GoWesty kit, with an Odyssey 1200 44ah battery.

I dont see the point of paying $60 for a Yandina, when for $50 you can have the GoWesty kit, with every single little thing you need, including instructions.

But, Im sure there is something the Yandina does better than the GoWesty kit, and Im sure there is a lot of satisfaction to finding all the right wires, connectors, fuses, and instructions, to build your own solution. Of course, in that case, you could just copy the GoWesty kit, for even less $ than a Yandina..

fwiw, I have the GW kit in 2 of my vans, I liked it the first time, and did it twice.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the GoWesty kit about a year ago before I knew about The Samba. I'm upgrading to Yandina. I still have the GW kit instructions around (I think). I guess I can scan and email if intereted unless somebody tells me it's illegal or unethical?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the GoWesty kit. My 82 Diesel Vanagon has the starter battery in the Engine compartment. The Vanagon is wired with the factory auxilary relay. It is energized when the engine is running. The stock relay looks a little small for charging a flat auxilary battery. The easiest thing to do would be to install a higher amp rated relay. There is no secret to rewiring the auxilary battery if the relay is present. You can use the Bentley manual to figure it out. With the engine off the batteries are no longer "combined" because the relay is no longer energized. I assume the GoWesty kit is similar in operation. The appeal of the Yandina aside from cost and ease of wiring is that if you have a battery charger or solar panel tied to your auxilary system, the Yandina will maintain the charge on your Starter battery. This way, I can have my vanagon plugged in while resting in the garage with my Battery Tender hardwired and keeping both batteries up. Auxilary fusebox install this weekend and then the accessories will be tied in. Laughing
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The stock relay looks a little small for charging a flat auxilary battery. The easiest thing to do would be to install a higher amp rated relay.

The GW kit does exactly what you describe.

BTW, the instructions in the GW kit INCLUDE wiring the FRIDGE to the AUX Battery. This is a VERY BAD Idea.

I chose to NOT follow that part of the instructions, as powering the stock fridge from an Aux battery when the engine is off, is simply not realistic.

When I know Im going to be driving for hours, I set the fridge to use "battery" power, which is only energized when the engine is running the alternator, in stock configuration.

When I reach camp I switch to Propane power for the fridge.

I agree that IF you are going to invest in a Solar Charging system, then a charge controller, NOT a Yandina, is advised.

Here is the solar controller Karl Mullendore of westyventures. com recommends
http://tinyurl.com/c9q7rm
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solar charge controller does not take the place of a Yandina or charging relay. It only controls the current coming from the solar panel. You still need to control the current from the alternator somehow.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I am in the southeast. Until now, I have had only one battery and have used the refrigerator on 12v while driving and then switch to propane when stopped. My 82 has the fridge latch located in the top Left not centered. I am not able to modify my door to have access to the fridge panel without opening the door. When traveling, we will stop for an hour or two sometimes. I need to open the fridge, start it on propane and then close the door losing most of the cooled air. Bad design. My reason for using the auxilary battery for the fridge was for that hour or so where we stopped, but did not want to go through the drill of starting the propane. If I forget to switch off the 12V for the fridge once, I bet it drains the auxilary battery pretty quick. I like the option of propane, but those Vitro and Truckfridges are appealing. They are supposed to be low amp draw and have an actual compressor. One thing at a time. Cool
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you have a fair amount of stuff in the fridge the thermal mass is more significant than the air and it will act as a fine cooler for a couple of hours. 'Course I'm not expecting coold beer from mine, just don't want things to spoil.

GoWesty offers convenience for a price, I bought their wheel package knowing I was paying for true plug and play, done and out. Auxiliary battery relays have been beat to death all over the net and there is no need to infringe on their ©.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
I think if you have a fair amount of stuff in the fridge the thermal mass is more significant than the air and it will act as a fine cooler for a couple of hours. 'Course I'm not expecting coold beer from mine, just don't want things to spoil.

GoWesty offers convenience for a price, I bought their wheel package knowing I was paying for true plug and play, done and out. Auxiliary battery relays have been beat to death all over the net and there is no need to infringe on their ©.

Agreed, I have been extremely satisfied with all my purchases from GoWesty. They are helpful and seem to have done their homework. For me, my time is important. I might find a cheaper poptop seal, but I know if I order one from GoWesty, I won't waste a day trying to make it fit. Same goes for all the other things I have bought from them. Trying to justify the Go Westy leather recaro seats now. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: