Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas gauge or gas fill issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: gas gauge or gas fill issues Reply with quote

I've had my tank "filled 2x now since I bought my '86 Westy 2WD and each time, the needle settled at only about 3/4 full. We are not allowed to fill the tank ourselves in Oregon, but the last time the guy did try to "top it up."

I am wondering if the Westy typically has sender issues after some time? And if so, how to check the sender.

Or maybe it is hard to fill these tanks all the way - that is the case with Porsche 911s b/c of the way the fill pipe is routed. Do 2WD Westies have that problem?

Or is there any thing else that is a common problem and might be causing this?

I get a huge number of irrelevant posts when using the searc for some reason, so I wonder if anyone knows what might be up on the issue??
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank reads full when filled up, so no, I don't think it is a vanagon issue. Maybe the float is sticking or could be the sender? I don't know much about the fuel guage, maybe others do, but the guage should read full when full.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems filling up the tank.
I have had problems with lots of gasoline flowing out of the bottom of the van while filling up though. Laughing
That'll be my next project.

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think fillling the 2wd is a pita.. try the Syncro.. I swear there's part of the tank higher then the gas filler..

only real trouble I have filling it up is the price/costs. but they've come down.

Ohh and the filler neck & top vent seals leaking.

I'm not sure what I feel about not being allowed to pump my own fuel..
I mean I'm ok with doing it, but letting everyone with a drivers license do it is scary....

Dan in NY
Where we can still pump our own fuel.. mainy because the Gov't has their hands in your pockets while you're pumping..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pighamling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's common but mine does the same thing. I have just learned to cope. I think it's usually the sender.

I should have replaced the sender when I resealed the tank and, if you haven't done that, you will probably get the chance to experience that joyous wrestling match. The sender is easy to replace once the tank's out.
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: gas gauge or gas fill issues Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
I've had my tank "filled 2x now since I bought my '86 Westy 2WD and each time, the needle settled at only about 3/4 full. We are not allowed to fill the tank ourselves in Oregon, but the last time the guy did try to "top it up."

Could be the fuel gauge sender. Mine just started doing this. Fills up to 3/4, drops down to 1/2 after 10 minutes, then goes up to full on random occasions. It has always dropped a little going uphill, but this is all something new.

I have to drop the tank anyways, so I now have a new fuel sender in hand for a "one of these weekends" project.

And fwiw - the Fuel Sender comes with the gasket - you don't have to spend the extra $3.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added gas after the nozzle clicked off today (nobody saw me cheat). I moved the nozzle back and gas sloshed out so I assume it really is full.

If so, then the fault is in sender, wires, or gauge -- not in the the ability to easily fill the tank up.

Anyone know how the sender works?? Is it a cylinder wrapped with resistance wire, with a float that short circuits some of the wire to alter the resistance? That is what some German cars use or used in the 1970s.

And how involved is getting to the sender?
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voltage stabilizer may be going bad on the instrument cluster. My fuel gauge started acting up and I narrowed it down to that and it solved it when I replaced it.
Splash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Gas Gauge Reply with quote

Randy,
You have to pull the tank and if your going to do that you change all the hoses. Also get the hose kit from one of the vendors, be careful disconnecting the expansion tanks. All the info is online, just search. Probably cost you you about $160 total. Time depends on how good you are, my van was down 2 weekends but I am not that good. Zero problems since. It's just one of the things you have to do. Have fun....Because you know we only own these things because there fun...And VW van owners are all about fun.....
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's any help, i replaced both my tank and sender and when I fill it up totally full (know by how much I can get in it), my gauge only reads between 3/4 and Full.
and it seems to be off about the same amount all the way down, red line (which should be 1/8) and i have a easy 4 gallons
but since i'm kinda a 'belt & suspenders' kinda a guy...
i always carry 5 gallons on trips that include 'over-night'
you just get used to it...
and i'd rather the gauge read too little instead of too much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Syncro will often stop filling at about 3 quarters full if they (I'm in OR too) have the nozzle on full. It will take 4 more gallons or so after it stops. If they fill it at a slower pace, it is usually fine. Unless I am heading out on a road trip, I usually just take what they give me.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't pull the tank over something like this - very burned out on car repair & can barely stand working on my sports car any more... no longer fun.

I finally got a Bentley manual but it is th wrong one - relates to air cooled models only.

BUT it says there is a "voltage controller" in the circuit & shows a 3 pin device - just as the post above notes. Maybe a transistor or SCR. I will check that out someday & see if it is on the later vans.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
The voltage stabilizer may be going bad on the instrument cluster. My fuel gauge started acting up and I narrowed it down to that and it solved it when I replaced it.

Good point.

When I resealed my fuel tank, I replaced the sender. The gauge reads 3/4 when tank full. My first reaction was that the new sender could be faulty, or I installed it wrong. (can't see how.... only seemed to fit one way IIRC)

Aside from the voltage stabilizer, I gather there is also an adjustment that can be made to the fuel gauge itself.

True? Anyone?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: