Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Christensen wrote:
I only list mine. If I were to add Alex's plus other newer, less collectable, it would bring us to 8 air cooled and 6 water cooled - but who's counting? Good thing we have them stashed in multiple locations. Since my wife has no interest what so ever in my hobby, she has never stopped to count Very Happy Only my insurance agent knows for sure Rolling Eyes

If she counted it may apear that youve started a lot Laughing

Im counting you and Alex in for the Classic right? What are you driving?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick Christensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be there. Last year I couldn't help but feel that Notchbacks have become waaaay too popular. So this year I'll be in my white T-34 and Alex in his red / white T-34. But now seeing how many T-34s are being uncovered, we may have to switch it up for 2010. I'm thinking the Kubel and '50 split. Would be quit the drive from Oregon, but you know us - always up for a challenge Wink
'65 Vespa VBB
'48 Aeronca Sedan 4 passenger airplane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=728024

NOS semaphores..... but they are missing the rivets, and one has screws in place of them. A deal at only $1500......

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

NOS semaphores..... but they are missing the rivets, and one has screws in place of them. A deal at only $1500......

I quite recently bought a pair of NOS split semaphore lenses from the Samba ads. Got very nice looking pictures of the actual items per request. The parts turned out to be 2mm short for OG arms and distorted like been kept under a mattress of a Pattaya hooker for the past 60 years. Very cooperative seller but apologies is the most I´ve got back till today.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

I quite recently bought a pair of NOS split semaphore lenses from the Samba ads. Got very nice looking pictures of the actual items per request. The parts turned out to be 2mm short for OG arms and distorted like been kept under a mattress of a Pattaya hooker for the past 60 years. Very cooperative seller but apologies is the most I´ve got back till today.

Sounds like a poor quality repop.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

I have a whole bag of those "short" sem lenses. See my post on comparing the different kinds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219798&highlight=semaphores

If you haven't already. Interestingly, there are some "short" arms someone made too, but the side plastic is so thick on these bad repros, that you can't even fit them over the edges of the lense. There are also ads for proper length arms on thesamba that are out of spec width and height-wise...

Buyer beware!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=776691

Trying to pass a rusty pile of a 56-57 oval for a $15,000 '52 split?
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robs '52s wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=776691

Trying to pass a rusty pile of a 56-57 oval for a $15,000 '52 split?

Shocked

well, this is somewhat of a split, compared to my 58 look split... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
HeSa wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

I have a whole bag of those "short" sem lenses. See my post on comparing the different kinds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219798&highlight=semaphores

If you haven't already. Interestingly, there are some "short" arms someone made too, but the side plastic is so thick on these bad repros, that you can't even fit them over the edges of the lense. There are also ads for proper length arms on thesamba that are out of spec width and height-wise...

Buyer beware!!

They are in fact NOS original VW lenses coming from Thailand. Having stared at some NOS, repro and used lenses my conclusion of the size issue is that the plastic used in those days shrinks by the years in hot environment. Used lenses are normally ok as the arms keep them in original specs.

The individual who released the batch of too short reproductions probably used a shrunk NOS as a master and/or polyester casting resin which has a 7-10% curing shrinkage. It is the cheapest option though. And he probably also used shrinking moulding resin as the plastic became too thick.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll jump in.... $18k for a car that needs paint, interior and assembly... that used to be a rustbucket.... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=778317
vwsplitboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: zwitter Reply with quote

Car was never a rust bucket.. Got screwed buy the shop owner..You must learn to read . Say's with that price $18,000.00 comes with full german upholstery and rubber mats.That cost $4,000.00,Thanks Trey
Robs '52s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $18,000 that car should be painted and assembled.
vwsplitboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in hell.. I good restoration will run you any were from $25,000.00 and up done the right way.. buddy and those guys get $10.000.00 just to paint a car.I have over $10,000.00 in new parts and parts that are restored...NOS TAILLIGHTS $1,000.00 restored bosch. head lights and buckets $800..Nos Ebrake boot $400.Restored steering wheel $700.00 full poweder coat seat frames and german upholstery $4,000.00.All chrome work rechromed inside and outside door handles wing window divders etc. $1,000.00 new bumpers $500 heavy duty stainless trim $300.00...That is just to list a few parts.There are some many other parts still, powder coat window regulators powder coated pan ...etc.. that is close to $10,000.00 right there. I do not know how many cars you have restored , but this shit isnt cheap,done the right way..I have been a vw guy for years own a small vw salvage yard , and have and had some of the rarest cars out there. your opion. is just that yours. I have 3 other splits and several other rare cars. put a pen and paper to it !
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:

They are in fact NOS original VW lenses coming from Thailand. Having stared at some NOS, repro and used lenses my conclusion of the size issue is that the plastic used in those days shrinks by the years in hot environment. Used lenses are normally ok as the arms keep them in original specs.
I don't agree with this theory. On a late SHO lens, there's nothing holding the bulb end of the lens from shrinking.
I think they are using an original lens and pulling a mold off of it. Then as they cast the plastic, it shrinks when it cures/solidifies.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I read it again, to most people, it would only make sense that a car that has had $10,000 worth of body work and not painted was probably rough to start with? I wasn't able to see anywhere in the ad where it said something about being screwed by a bodyshop?
vwsplitboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree were one would assume it was a rust bucket. But I really do not want to list my life story about the car if some one is truley interested they will e-mail and get the 411..
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way, thanks for saving it.... at what ever the cost... one more still on the road! good luck with the sale (honestly)
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: REPRO AVAILABLE FOR PREORDERS Reply with quote

Selling the 1st batch of what? Where is the product?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=782357
1st picture is "borrowed" from Rico Pohlan's Samba ad,

second is from my gallery
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=442330

As are the pics in the "non-commercial" thread" related to this repro release:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354302''
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=398757

third pic from ebay, fourth from what ever web resource.....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=783290

$500 Domelight, lens sold separately.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=783290

$500 Domelight, lens sold separately.

Yes Johnshenry I saw It, but I guess I will pass it Rolling Eyes unless the brass contacts are in gold or some other rare material, maybe a special edition Very Happy ...but I will pass this one Rolling Eyes and besides that is not complete...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 157

Jump to: