Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding the right size belts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcarlson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

I'm driving a 1983 water cooled diesel vanagon.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what size belts to use for the two exposed belts at the rear of the engine. I think these are for the water pump and alternator. Currently, I'm using:

* 9.5/10mm x 650mm -- small belt (water pump?)
* 9.5/10mm x 885mm -- big belt (alternator?)

The small belt fits pretty well when I don't put any spacers in. It's tight and doesn't squeak.

The big belt also fits well, but I can only get it on if I remove the lower belt because it is so tight. I have to remove the middle wheel and then put the belt on and jam it back on. Even loosening the bolt that attaches the alternator and moving it as low as it can go, the belt is still way to tight. I thought I needed a bigger belt, but when I ordered the one suggest by GoWesty (10x1110) it was way to big. So, I'm wondering how to figure out what size of belt. Should I just add an inch or two to the dimensions I have? Shouldn't this stuff be standard?

Also, while I'm on the topic, how do I tell if a belt is tight enough, but not too tight?

Thanks so much,

Richard
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go to Bus Depot or Autohause Arizona website...enter the appropriate year and then check out the parts. The site will give you the part number as well as the price of the part.

You can take the part number and shop the price if you want.
rcarlson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RCB, thanks for replying.

I checked BusDepot and Autohaus. Unfortunately, the belts at Autohaus are definitely too small. The belts at BusDepot do not include the belt size in the description. I don't want to just buy them because I'm afraid they won't be the right size. Seems likely since 2 other websites I looked at had the wrong size belts.

Cheers,

Richard
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .....I might suggest you give either of them a call and find out just will be the correct fit.
You could also call a VW Dealer and talk to the Parts Manager about what fits.
The wrong belt could cause some issues.

Let your fingers do the walkin Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You surely have an auto parts store close. They will have just about any belt imaginable hanging off their walls. Just go up a belt size in what ever increment they offer.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcarlson wrote:

I checked BusDepot and Autohaus. Unfortunately, the belts at Autohaus are definitely too small. The belts at BusDepot do not include the belt size in the description. I don't want to just buy them because I'm afraid they won't be the right size. Seems likely since 2 other websites I looked at had the wrong size belts.

I've been selling Vanagon belts for about 15 years. Trust me, ours are the correct OEM Continental belts. That or we've been shipping the wrong belts for the better part of two decades and nobody's told us yet. Smile

The alternator belt for the stock 1600 cc diesel engine is 10 mm x 600 mm. The water pump belt is 10 x 643. I don't know why you would have a 10 x 885 alternator belt unless you do not have a stock engine.

As for GoWesty, they sold you a belt for a gas engined Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot and most other online vendors have phones. You can save yourself a lot of time by just ringing them up and asking them what exactly they have on hand. I bought a part for Bus Depot last week that wasn't on their website, when I send them an email they replied that they didn't have the part I was talking about, but when I phoned they were able to figure out what it was (it's a very common part that most just throw out and never replace) and add it to my order.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-clima...5/112868_0

This one is supposed to work with the 1.6 NA according to the website, looking at the spec is seems to be around the right size, what do you guys think
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

Actually, when I specify a 1.6NA diesel Vanagon, the website states "The part you selected DOES NOT FIT your vehicle".

At an effective length of 648 mm, that belt is about 5 mm too long for use as a water pump belt. There may be enough adjustment in the unique Vanagon diesel sheave-pulley system to account for this additional length, but perhaps not enough to make future adjustments as the belt naturally wears/stretches.

If in a time pinch, try another FLAPS chain; if time allows, order the proper belts from Bus Depot or other Vanagon-specific vendor.

FYI, here's the comparable belt for the alternator:
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-clima...5/112870_0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

Well AutoZone is saying that we are both right Laughing Laughing

The 235 one looks to have a circumference of 600mm if I am reading that correctly?

The 255 one is a bit long but it is a bit closer-the other one may be the other belt.

Or AutoZone is just tweaking out lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
Well AutoZone is saying that we are both right Laughing Laughing

Or AutoZone is just tweaking out lol

You're right, AutoZone's website claims that belt won't fit an 83 diesel but WILL fit an 82. I am 90% certain both years use the same belts.

As I said, if in a time pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to grabs those belts locally and see if they fit. Then order the proper belts from a Vanagon vendor at your leisure and toss them in as spares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Finding the right size belts Reply with quote

Yes, 82 and 83 diesels used the same pulleys and belts.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: