Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare, recommendation/opinion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Spare, recommendation/opinion Reply with quote

Howdy pilgrims

Pursuing my murderous and heretical project to install an auxiliary tank in the spare wheel location I had decided to locate said spare behind the driver's seat. In order to save space I had also decided to substitute a 'donut' spare.
I located in Samba classifieds this spare wheel:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=782403

The seller claims this item to come from a "Jetta". The recommendation by the Wise Men here was to use the 'donut" from a 90/92 Audi 5000.

Question 1: is that wheel sufficiently safe for a Vanagon or am I adding a detonator to my (prophetized) napalm bomb ?

Question 2: What is it worth? The seller wants an offer, considering that I naturally will have to bear the cost of shipping from Michigan to Sin City ?

I do express my deepest gratitude for all forthcoming constructive answers. Razz

giddy up now cowboys

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a couple cans of fix a flat and don't run old tires that will sherd when they get heated.
Myself I would have to be pretty desperate and stuck to even consider putting a donut on my van.
As far as that one working or not, I highly dought it, jetta wheels don't fit on vanagons and it surley wasn't designed for use on the tire-picky vanagon.
Myself I'd rater have a fullsized spare, then more gas any day.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really constructive, but a different slant. Volvo also made a gas can that fit the Spare's well for their older cars. Kind of a cool round flatish affair. Since your 2WD, why not source a Syncro's plastic one that straddles the tranny. I like my Kolpin flat one on top, so in a head on collision, it flies off and incinerates the other participant. Your idea of putting directly under your feet is risky. Then again, all my bugs and that POS porsche 911 had the tank up front to protect me, that and improve its handling around corners as you consumed fuel. They really liked to corner backwards.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came with my first syncro, I wouldnt dare put one on a Syncro, it is a VW tire, just cleaning out my garage. Could be from a jetta, not sure though... its 15". I figure someone might want it to for a 2nd super duper emergency spare. Have no clue on the load rating and all that. fits a vanagon though
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Not really constructive, but a different slant. Volvo also made a gas can that fit the Spare's well for their older cars. Kind of a cool round flatish affair. Since your 2WD, why not source a Syncro's plastic one that straddles the tranny. I like my Kolpin flat one on top, so in a head on collision, it flies off and incinerates the other participant. Your idea of putting directly under your feet is risky. Then again, all my bugs and that POS porsche 911 had the tank up front to protect me, that and improve its handling around corners as you consumed fuel. They really liked to corner backwards.

I had the opportunity to drive an Alpine Gordini A110 through the Alps. Small fiberglass job, fuel tank, battery and mighty headlights in the front.
Never was concerned.
So then the Pintos.........

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: