Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant hose route?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Coolant hose route? Reply with quote

On a 2.1 there is a coolant hose that runs off the coolant manifold to the back of the right head. It is the small 7mm hose. Mine is routed down the oil fill tube. This means to change the PS belt, it has to be removed.

My logical brain tells me this is wrong. But if my logic was correct why would I own a Westy?

Any help on this from the panel of experts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brian.
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the belt off....who needs power steering anyway Twisted Evil

Yup, you need to pinch & disconnect the hose. That's why I haven't changed my belt......
In my dealings with a repair to the coolant loop and hoses coming off, I would suggest removing hose at top loop and quick putting another pinched hose on temporarily to prevent further coolant loss.
Please correct me if this is wrong for this hose! be very careful removing the hose if it's been on a long time, especially if you have the plastic cooling loop, so you don't break the projecting outlet.
If you have the metal loop, check for hidden rust...ask how I know..
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd, you guys make it sound so hard!

That little hose helps purge air from the cylinder head. It doesn't go to the oil filler (that would be a disaster), it comes off a nipple bolted to the rear side of the right head, and connects to the air purge ring that encircles the engine bay. To service your PS belt, just disconnect the hose at the air purge ring, swap your belts and slip it back on. Only a tiny bit of coolant will be lost, and the system will self-bleed that area quickly since that is why that hose is there in the first place.

What you should check out is the flanged nipple bolted to the head that the hose attaches to. The older fitting was plastic and with age the nipple can break off without warning and the engine will spew coolant there and overheat. That was superceded by an identical fitting made of steel. If yours is still the old plastic one you would be well-advised to replace it. This is also a simple little job that doesn't require any special followup with the cooling system; just replace the fluid lost afterwards.

Here's the fitting:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_674_667/connectorsjunctions___see_description.....html

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: coolant line Reply with quote

Thanks. The project for this week is replacing all the coolant hoses. Yep, all of them. I will check that nipple connector on the head.(it's an 86) I'm not sure if its plastic or metal.

The manifold is steel and has some rust at the large connection to the expansion tank. I will be sure to check it thoroughly and test before reinstall. I think I can figure out how you know about hidden rust...it doesn't hide well where I am! It's everywhere.

Thanks for the info with the hose route and it's function. It's a bad day when you don't learn something on The Samba!

Brian.
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant hose route? Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
This means to change the PS belt, it has to be removed.

And change the belts while you are at it.

When the PS belt breaks, it will shred that 7mm hose and leave you stranded.

Ask me how I know.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: hose Reply with quote

The metal loop is out and looks good. A little surface rust in one area and a little JB just to be sure. The problem has become the bolts for the thermostat. They are rusted beyond recognition and so far have refused to budge. Might just keep that thermostat...hehe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: