Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I need to replace the fuel lines in my 84 Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinlandis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Do I need to replace the fuel lines in my 84 Vanagon? Reply with quote

I've examined the lines and they look fine, but I've heard plenty of "burst into flames" stories about vw's. Are these concerns valid with a 1984 Vanagon? The other factor is that it sat for 8 years before I got it. Is that a factor? I pulled the line off of the first fuel filter to drain the old fuel, and it seemed supple enough. Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt bother to read any of it, if you need to ask the question, then you need to replace the lines. Seriously.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is peace of mind worth $50 in parts and 3 hours of labor?

Andrew
justinlandis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out brakes and when u do change the rubber brake hoses,all of them. My '86 syncro which is a work in progressjust enforced that idea . I had parts to rebuild rears but time has put it off so when out 2days ago ,got really draggy and foud rear wheel brake stuck on,cracked bleeder and got home. Yesterday i did all the rears and i say those short hoses are a PITA to get out when all connectors are frozen an d even more fun back in with brake fluid running down both arms,but it's done and another happy event.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the vehicle sat before eight years that probably wont be the only thing your changing, be prepared for the laundry list, but ya gotta start somewhere & the fuel lines are berry berry important
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One day i will post the picture(s) with the 2 dead kids in the back seat of a Vanagon.

I'm in a bad mood since a few days, one reason is the following:

Yesterday i was painting a van, but the phone kept on ringing, so in between 2 layers i finally answer, same guy kept on calling. He says, something smell bizarre and the engine running rough. I'm booked hard but i'm always available for emergency. I told him to come around 5pm i should be done with the paint. He arrive, from 50 feet i can see something dripping, no, i can see some kind of a fume on the driver side/engine....., it's NOT coolant and it's not oil, i scream shot the engine!!!!!!!!!!

One of the injector hose was making a giant nice spay fume!!!! Men that guy was lucky! I change the hose and look at the other one for safety, all was fine for now but i told him to take care of that very soon. He ask me if "The patch" would hold for a wile because he was broke lately.... but he just bought the Vanagon????????????????????????????? I ask him 20$ for the patch, i spent at least 1.5 hour with him... he look shocked that i was charging him 20$ frigging dollar and ask me if i really had to fix the hose??????????

So yes, i'm kind of pissed sometime when i see/read people trying to cut corners.

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Ben, posting a picture with deceased children would be a little over the top...just my opinion.The picture you posted says enough about fuel lines and I would suggest justinlandis that you change out yours.
Andrew A Libby said it all.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--
What a perfect picture, and the thought of a cremation ceremony and a BBQ all at once.

Get two things done all in one time.

Naw--I wouldn't change any fuel lines that are all dried up and hard as a rock--

Just carry a Nomex suit & some hotdogs & marshmallow's with you---

Got some paint ya wanna remove?

Run them ( probably factory original) fuel lines.
You'll bake that paint off in no time.

I can't figure out why anyone would ask this sort of insane question---
And you see it all the time---

Nuts---
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed we could all probably all use a little more beer & little less work, hang in there ben, you know as well as I artists are never fully appreciated by the masses until the art stops Mad some people never get it, drink down your last beer, burp in your face & question why YOU ran out, instead of just being thankful for the opportunity to drink one Wink god bless em all like that, a little appreciation goes along way Idea Cool shut if off at 5pm man, but you live breathe 24/7 these vehicles Question Rolling Eyes theres a special place for folks like you, & its called the BAR Wink
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch TK , that was kinda hard, after all justinlandis is rather a new member with only 5 postings.
I think it was a legit question for someone as "young" as he/she is.

Shows me that they are concerned with safety and didnt really know the answer.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
One day i will post the picture(s) with the 2 dead kids in the back seat of a Vanagon.

Shocked Please don't. The mere thought of there being such a photo is existence is enough.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newt909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I have been lurking for a few months and will pop my sambacherry here on this. I have a 91GL with a bad engine, and a good engine sitting next to it waiting for some elves or me to have some time to install. I was messing with the gas lines on the good one and noticed a little gas leak right up against the injector on one when wiggled a bit, then went to the other three and was easily able to get then to crack just a little enough to leak gas right up against hte injector. The rest of the lines seem good and without the dryness of that little bit of fuel line against the injector. I am toying with the idea of using some of the supple line from the bad engine to patch up the good one, for I had just figured the lines dry due to the proximity to the heat of the engine, like many rubber type bits do, but perhaps I should just get fresh hose. Is the leaking of fuel generally where I found, right up against the injectors? Do the lines leak from other places also?
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the father of two children, 1 month and 23 month boys, Ben just made me want to sell my van. For that matter, anything that uses flammable liquid.

Yes I changed all my lines a year ago. The thought of that picture makes me want to do it again!

I am seriously depressed right now.
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace all your fuel lines with new FI rated material. I did all of mine for UNDER $50.

This is cheap insurance.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can certainly get the parts for less than $50, but the Van-Cafe kit with all new clamps and injector seals is oh so convenient.

Andrew
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Yes, you can certainly get the parts for less than $50, but the Van-Cafe kit with all new clamps and injector seals is oh so convenient.

Andrew

+1
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:

Shocked Please don't. The mere thought of there being such a photo is existence is enough.

I would NEVER do such a thing... it's immoral but sometime.....
He was a 1 time customer of mine when i worked beside my house, i did brake stuff, front. He sent me those 3 picture by mail (normal mail) a few month after, with nothing written for the exception of his name on the envelope. Never saw him again. If it wasn't for the fact that one of the picture was showing an obvious sign of fuel line failure i could have thought that the van crash because of a brake problem and cough fire....

This picture as haunted me since then. I think that in some ways it push me to share info and my personal page became a site, way before i had the shop. One picture is from outside (showing the back), one is from outside but taken from the sliding door opening, the last one was taken from the front seat looking at the back seat. This is the horrible one, i'm looking at it as i write Sad

I don't know nothing about those pictures and why he sent it to me.

The guy yesterday had a child seat in the back. I should now do 2 thinks, slap him hard in the face so he can wake up and see the light, or do the fuel line for free for the sake of the kid that gonna be seating in that seat.

I never posted or even shown those to anyone. I basically never talk about those. But maybe some of you will understand a bit more the fact that i'm sharing stuff, it became a bad habit.

Enough said. I'll go fly today.
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newt909 wrote:
Hi all. I have been lurking for a few months and will pop my sambacherry here on this. I have a 91GL with a bad engine, and a good engine sitting next to it waiting for some elves or me to have some time to install. I was messing with the gas lines on the good one and noticed a little gas leak right up against the injector on one when wiggled a bit, then went to the other three and was easily able to get then to crack just a little enough to leak gas right up against hte injector. The rest of the lines seem good and without the dryness of that little bit of fuel line against the injector. I am toying with the idea of using some of the supple line from the bad engine to patch up the good one, for I had just figured the lines dry due to the proximity to the heat of the engine, like many rubber type bits do, but perhaps I should just get fresh hose. Is the leaking of fuel generally where I found, right up against the injectors? Do the lines leak from other places also?

Any line that has fuel flowing through it can degrade over a period of time, and only the grimm reaper knows the answer to "when" the leak happens.

I pop the engine lid a few times a month and check every fuel related line for cracks or fraying.
Using the correct line for the fuel injection system is a must.
The local FLAPS guys tried to sell me regular fuel line because they didnt know any better.

For such an important piece of equipment ...I would only trust the vendors of VW parts.
The regular online vendors like Van Cafe and Bus Depot and GO Westy and German Supply Parts etc....know which line to use AND wont try to sell you a line "thats a bit to big but you can just screw down the hose clamp a little tighter" .
They also have the correct clamps as well !!!
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newt909 wrote:
I was messing with the gas lines on the good one and noticed a little gas leak right up against the injector on one when wiggled a bit, then went to the other three and was easily able to get then to crack just a little enough to leak gas right up against hte injector. The rest of the lines seem good and without the dryness of that little bit of fuel line against the injector.

Another possibility is that the PO of the engine replaced all the lines except those little nubbins from the fuel rail to the injectors. When I overhauled my engine the first time I did not replace them. In fact, I didn't actually realize that they were replaceable.

The second time I replaced all my fuel lines, I did those too. Along with the fuel injector seats and seals that were all dried up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: