Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dormobile/SO42 experts - please deconstruct this bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Rare Dormobiles... I'd almost do that to mine!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

I've suggested we do that to our '61 flip, it would be less work than fixing up the '65 dormie.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
crofty wrote:

I've suggested we do that to our '61 flip, it would be less work than fixing up the '65 dormie.

And you'd have absolutely the most spacious examples of a bus, being a flipseat! Surprised
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Clara wrote:
crofty wrote:

....... having seen a ton SO42's it's my opinion that a cot was part of the kit itself and not an optional item. Did yours have the brackets?

The green and white euro sold SO-42 I used to have had no childs cot brackets or holes where they would have been.

My euro sold 65 dormy so-42 does not have child's cot brackets / holes where they would have been.

I have seen a standard that looked like it had a dormy top and SO-45 kit installed after the fact, it had snaps for the front curtains. I forget about the child's cot or not.

The Dormobile not having a cot makes sense but not having the cot in a regular SO42 doesn't make sense to me. Was it ordered as a Westy or outfitted at a later date?

both buses were ordered as westies.
here is the M-code tag for my dormy:

I don't have a pic of the other buses tag, but it was similar (no belly pans or gas heater codes though)
Both buses have 523xxx paint codes, with the interior of the rear painted the top color.
there's that thread about non-westy coded westies. Url on previous page I think.
No electrical plug either
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

I think I am in love!

Out of curiosity, from the factory were Dormobile tops left "gel coat" white or were they painted body color? (Pearl White, Blue White, Cumulus White, etc?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dormohbile2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdog1999 wrote:
dormohbile2 wrote:
blackdog1999 wrote:

Gunter-

Is this the OG Dorm that you are referring to for $10,000 that sold last year?

He might be talking about mine which i bought via the samba from arkansas for $10k. Now in ohio...

http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp187/dormohbile2/

WOW! That Blue & White Bus looks very nice. I think $10,000 was a major score too. How long was it on Samba for sale? I do not remember seeing it. How bad is the rust? There looks to be a few bubbles in spots. Was it a driver when you bought it or had it been sitting?

I think i made contact with the previous owner at day 3 of it being on the samba. one person had made an offer but backed out! i drove from ohio to arkansas to get it about three weeks after it was first posted.

i am the third owner and have the paperwork from the original export out of germany into canada. it appears, but not sure that it is original paint with minor rust. it has 54k miles on it and was being driven occasionally when i got it. my family is taking it camping in two weekends near lake erie and it's in the garage when not being driven.

Needs all new seals and the top leaks terribly when it's raining. Dormobile in the UK is going through ownership changes and i'm having problems getting the seals for the top. Any suggestions on where to find them or custom made?
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dormohbile2 wrote:
blackdog1999 wrote:
dormohbile2 wrote:
blackdog1999 wrote:

Gunter-

Is this the OG Dorm that you are referring to for $10,000 that sold last year?

He might be talking about mine which i bought via the samba from arkansas for $10k. Now in ohio...

http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp187/dormohbile2/

WOW! That Blue & White Bus looks very nice. I think $10,000 was a major score too. How long was it on Samba for sale? I do not remember seeing it. How bad is the rust? There looks to be a few bubbles in spots. Was it a driver when you bought it or had it been sitting?

I think i made contact with the previous owner at day 3 of it being on the samba. one person had made an offer but backed out! i drove from ohio to arkansas to get it about three weeks after it was first posted.

i am the third owner and have the paperwork from the original export out of germany into canada. it appears, but not sure that it is original paint with minor rust. it has 54k miles on it and was being driven occasionally when i got it. my family is taking it camping in two weekends near lake erie and it's in the garage when not being driven.

Needs all new seals and the top leaks terribly when it's raining. Dormobile in the UK is going through ownership changes and i'm having problems getting the seals for the top. Any suggestions on where to find them or custom made?

The skylight glass rubber is simple "K shaped rubber with rod" you can order from any local glass shop. Contact McMaster-Carr at 562-692-5911 to order vent rubber. It is called "edge grip rubber seal with bulb". You will need to visit their site to work out the size & style. I also ordered the top edge rubber from them. Not stock but the seals really good. It is a larger profile of the "edge grip rubber seal with bulb".
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavi_242 wrote:
I like the green bus Corey is selling, I think he did a really nice job putting it on the road

On the road? This is hardly on the road. He put a dor roof on it. I think he should have stopped at that point, and sold it as a project with the so-42 pieces -outside- the bus, personally.

Quote:

Mechanicals;

Brakes - Old & need replacing
Trans - Unknown
Motor - Old & needs rebuild

Quote:

and fitting it with a complete SO42 kit plus the very very very beloved Dormy roof.

NOTE: all observations are purely from the ad text and pictures (and the pics hide a lot)

Complete? I'm no SO-42 expert, but:

Cut vinyl headliner falling down over the drivers seats, instead of the grey board + metal trim. No wood, or anything, along the roof around the top opening. Glue or headliner remains on the C/D pillar areas from the original headliner. Some sort of funky panel on the drivers rear wayback near the corner cabinet, instead of westy wood.

Standard front door panels, instead of westy grey board door panels.

Cargo door panels are from the standard, and have had holes cut/drilled in them to mount the cabinet and table. Chromed cargo door interior handles, too.

Long wall panels are also the remains of the standard panels, not westy wood. (comment: why not PULL those and leave nothing, instead of poking a bunch of holes in them??)

B pillar to icebox cabinet wood bulkhead trim missing

icebox water pump spout looks missing/broken

no jalousie windows, only popouts. (never saw an so-42 with popouts, though it's common for so-44s)

bulkhead "top" covered in trim, instead of painted/bare.

Westy floor (plywood under layment and vinylish finish floor) and door trim missing.

Is the hole cut in the floor for the icebox drain? (stupid so-42 question, where the is the sink and water tank on these?)

There's something funny about the way the bed is sitting in the pictures. Maybe it's just stuck mid-fold or something? But that might also indicate damaged mechanisms.

drivers side bed/seat arm rest looks torn.

No camper lights (ignoring the owners comments, I've never seen an so-42 that the factory didn't install them in. I HAVE seen so-42 conversions that the owners didn't install them in, such as this one)

Other obvious stuff:

Front seats need a complete rework, they're not even duck-it-and-fu$$-it worthy.

No front floor mat.

I have no issue with taking a beat up standard and doing a camper, or even dor, conversion for your own use. I DO have issue with leaving it half finished and asking running driving prices.

$6500 is probably fair for this bus if the rest of the conversion were done and the mechanics were sorted, but not as a "roller/project"

This bus should/will never bring the money that a factory (any factory), or even period dealer conversion would bring. It's just not the same.

Shrug.

Thom, spend the $7k on a -great- bay, then keep hunting for the right dor body and build it up yourself. I know you're not afraid to drive bays. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
As far as the jalousie windows, your SO44 was a Euro model and they seldom had them. It may have been a little odd with that kit to hang the side lights. Did it have snaps for the curtain? What about a cot? (i imagine getting to that in SO44 would be a major PITA.)

SO-44s work fine with the front cot. (and it should be there)

And westy had ways to add lights to SO-44s, too. Mine has a single light on the C pillar, though I believe I've seen a few other variations in literature and pictures.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunter wrote:

I have a copy of a pic of a sheet that shows all the options that you could buy from westy for this bus and a lot of what is being discussed here was extra options that you could buy with the bus. It also shows the price of the dormo top from westy.
Search posts from Type2meister he had posted it and I cannot link it.

Circa 1965, (this is from my so-44's OO. He speced it in 65, arrived as 66 model)

SO-44 (wierd, something went wrong with this scan between 7/Cool:

SO-42:
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a standard which I think was actually converted by Westfalia back in the day... Dormy roof and SO-45 kit.
It has a headliner^^^^ and IIRC just the regular standard interior panels. And snaps for the front curtains.

Tom's 62 SO-22 had a hatch installed by westfalia, wood headliner in the back roof, cloth around the windows, cloth in the cab, and interior panels from its start as a standard. May not completely apply, as is pre- SO-42/-44/-45
more pics before/after restoration:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

The louver/ pop-out issue I think was discussed earlier.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220422&highlight=westfalia+mcode

I agree, Corey's bus is not on the road. Still in project staus
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody interested in buying a pretty complete dormy roof? Mine seems to be missing the stuff that a contributor to this thread used to make. Not sure if he still does, so i'll let him chime in or not.

I got it in trade for a single wheel trailer, but don't really have a project to put it on and it is just sitting around the backyard and the garage, taking up space.

Let me know,
Aaron

P.S. it's located in east San Diego area
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it missing? Confused
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

window hinges and roof hinges. Not sure if that person Wink is still creating those parts or not so didn't want to throw it out there.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently have one latch ready to go but can make another one if needed. Never did the hinges for the top itself as mine had them already. However, they can be done! Razz

BTW, how good is that top in relation to David's? Confused
iveedubbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SingleWheel wrote:
Anybody interested in buying a pretty complete dormy roof? Mine seems to be missing the stuff that a contributor to this thread used to make. Not sure if he still does, so i'll let him chime in or not.

I got it in trade for a single wheel trailer, but don't really have a project to put it on and it is just sitting around the backyard and the garage, taking up space.

Let me know,
Aaron

Hmmmmm Aaron
I'll have to call you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iveedubbin wrote:
SingleWheel wrote:

Let me know,
Aaron

Hmmmmm Aaron
I'll have to call you

scott woodward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: real dormobile Reply with quote

hey I have a 67 dormobile, (on the galleries under dormobile or scott woodward) I think I paid around 8,000 I have 18,000 altogether into it, but its real The clone bus, if it does not bother you , so be it, but then at that point you could get a better bus and get all the elements seperately for it and piece it together. (example walk through, any year, etc. the bus you are looking at was as rough as mine (see photos in gallerie)It took major work and still goes on today, but if I had to sell it, its a real dormobile. good luck see you at the classic, the bus too. scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: real dormobile Reply with quote

scott woodward wrote:
hey I have a 67 dormobile, (on the galleries under dormobile or scott woodward) I think I paid around 8,000 I have 18,000 altogether into it, but its real The clone bus, if it does not bother you , so be it, but then at that point you could get a better bus and get all the elements seperately for it and piece it together. (example walk through, any year, etc. the bus you are looking at was as rough as mine (see photos in gallerie)It took major work and still goes on today, but if I had to sell it, its a real dormobile. good luck see you at the classic, the bus too. scott

YWHS!

scott woodward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: too funny on the multi color dormobile, I bought that bus Reply with quote

I have to laugh, the multi color dormobile that you guys are talking about, is mine. It did not sell for 10,000 but I bought it for 7500.00 It was in colo springs, rough yes. but you out to see it now! it will blow you mind. I did the progress photos on the gallery, (under scott woodward or dormobile. yes thats the same bus!)he had a painting of a railroad on the dash high some thing and a cowboy -horse on the driver rear inside corner The guy I bought it from name is Mark H. . With in the first 8 months, it went through a total restro-custom fix up. its funny to see what I bought as the subject of discussion. The bus will be at OCTO and The Classic, for any of you guys to see. here are some photos

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: