Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The ideal Split Bus camper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word: BUMFUZZLE!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Boner-maker Westy.

WOW... my idea of a near perfect camper. Nicer than nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Your list looks good, except for the icebox. They are in the way and mostly a waste of space. I would much rather use a cooler.

True. I have an upright Vintage Coleman cooler that I run where the ice box would be. No holes drilled to install and it can be removed in less than 30 seconds. Perfect piece to replace the OG ice box.

rawdyn wrote:
I would go for swivel seats (or flip seat but I am not familiar enough with those to comment). Making use of the front seats for camping makes so much sense spacewise.

The only drawback is you lose all the storage space under and behind the jump seat. If you aren't worried about that either a swivel or a flip would be awesome.

HereToGo wrote:
You can't use a spice rack with a full width bed. Been there, tried that.

Doh! You are right! I never thought about that! Going to have to rethink that one. I'm running an upright vintage Coleman cooler (see above) in place of the ice box. It is much smaller than the OG ice box cabinet so there may be room to put it on the forward door and move the door table to the rear door.

arthurnugen wrote:
No one has mentioned gas heater yet. They're fantastic for warming up the bus on a cool camping morning. Smile

I have an under dash gas heater that I plan on using. I think they were meant for single and double cabs but should work fine in a camper and that way I won't have the ducting running under the back seat to worry about.

zozo wrote:
I think I've seen one being done just like that..... Laughing

Hmmmm. Wonder where? All I need is more time and more money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
crofty wrote:
Boner-maker Westy.

Damn! That is the best looking color combo I have ever seen. A top notch camper for sure.

That's pretty much "IT" to me.
I guess we could make it a bullet turnsignal bus with an SO-35, woodgrain interior instead of the SO-34 white formica. As long as we're dreaming...

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:

I have an under dash gas heater that I plan on using. I think they were meant for single and double cabs but should work fine in a camper and that way I won't have the ducting running under the back seat to worry about.

If you have a regular passenger, I hope they are small and not claustrophobic. The passenger seat in a walk-thru is already cramped, and the under dash gas heaters take up a bit of knee room. Test fit it before you make it a permanent fixture.
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ThatVWGuy wrote:

If you have a regular passenger, I hope they are small and not claustrophobic. The passenger seat in a walk-thru is already cramped, and the under dash gas heaters take up a bit of knee room. Test fit it before you make it a permanent fixture.

I was wondering about that. I live in south central Texas so the heater isn't a priority. I may hold try to find an engine compartment mounted unit and save the under dash one for a truck.
miscreantgnomie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is my big spOOn latch !!!!

Smile

I wanted to talk with you but you were talking about eagle scouts to pete so i just wandered off Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
ThatVWGuy wrote:

I was wondering about that. I live in south central Texas so the heater isn't a priority. I may hold try to find an engine compartment mounted unit and save the under dash one for a truck.

My 65 Riviera originally had one mounted under the dash. I located a good one to reinstall, but I never did. I sat in the bus that the heater had been pulled from and the knee room was definitely limited. When I sold the 65 last fall, I included the heater in the sale (along with the original diagrams and manual). Not sure if the new owner will install it, but he is in Wisconsin so heat could be a good thing. I doubt it will ever see winter roads though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: