Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Filler Check Valve?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Fuel Filler Check Valve? Reply with quote

I was doing the fuel tank re-seal thing today and after I pulled the filler-neck and got the tank out from under the van I noticed this little white plastic ball on the ground under there, kind of like a small ping-pong ball. The end of the filler neck that goes in the tank has a little cage on it so I popped the ball into the cage and I assume it's a checkvalve to keep gas from going up the neck. I hadn't noticed anything like this in the Bentley or on the posts I've been reading to help me with this job. Van's an '89. Any thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked at the dealer, there was a recall to add a flapper device to the fuel tank neck where the filler neck attached to prevent fuel from rushing up the neck when pressure was present on rabbits. I suppose it could have been introduced in production to other VW models once they knew there was a problem.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took mine apart I assumed that was what it was for. Makes sense really.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filler Check Valve? Reply with quote

What a waste of time. I found the ball inside my old tank as well. Does not serve much purpose if it does not remain in the cage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filler Check Valve? Reply with quote

The filler ball was added in '88, apparently. I thought I'd gotten lucky at U-pull-it once and pulled a filler neck from an '89, only to find that the ball was gone. Sad

I thought about trying a ping-pong ball but I'm pretty sure they're not gasoline resistant...

Here's a good thread on the subject.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396064&highlight=fuel++filler++ball

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Filler Check Valve? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
The filler ball was added in '88, apparently. I thought I'd gotten lucky at U-pull-it once and pulled a filler neck from an '89, only to find that the ball was gone. Sad

I thought about trying a ping-pong ball but I'm pretty sure they're not gasoline resistant...

Here's a good thread on the subject.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396064&highlight=fuel++filler++ball

ping balls where used in wwii to fill the hulls and floats of seaplanes so that a bullet hole in the float or hull would not flood and cuase the aircraft to sink.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: