Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swapping out Z-bed for rock n' roll
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: swapping out Z-bed for rock n' roll Reply with quote

Anyone ever had both?
My '77 has an original, surprisingly coveted, after-market z-bed that converts the full-width bench seat into a bed. I've never loved it. Here's why:
1. While the mechanism works fine, the "bed" it creates isn't great. Mostly level, but the "cushions" make for an inconsistent sleeping surface - especially in the cracks. Plus there's a really abrupt difference in stiffness between the back deck and the bed. I always used some sort of mattress or foam pad to even it out (with carboard or plywood underneath for longer trips).

2. I don't like the angle of the seatback in the up position, and hooks that stabilize the back somehow aren't right. The bottom of the back seems to flop around a bit.

Here's my questions/concerns with the Rock n' Roll:
A. Once the foam and upholstry are added to the wooden seat and seatback, and it is in the down (bed) position, I assume it will lay higher than the deck and will need a piece of foam over the deck to level it out (like the vanagon). Is that right?

B. In the bench/upright position, is the height of the seat (with cushion) higher than a regular bench, or the same? From some pics and measurements I've seen it is higher: 17"+ to the bottom of the seat board whereas the top of the orginal bench is under 17". Is there only one height at which the rock n' roll can be set? If not, setting it lower would screw up the level with back deck, right? Maybe it could be set 1" lower and use 2" foam on the seat and back but a 1" mattress over the rear deck to compensate/equalize?

C. Does the aftermarket rock n' roll feel really solid in both the up and down positions? like kids and dogs jumping up and down solid?

thanks for any relevant input/experiences you've had with both.

(and yes I will sell someone the z-bed...and a pristine brown bench...if I make the swap. Don't expect a steal cuz I think some dude in the UK was ready to offer me his firstborn child a while back if I would send it to him).
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in buying your Z bed hinges if you aren't going to use them.

Yes, I think you will need a pad for the rear with a rock n roll bed just like a westy bed. Isn't the Z bed the same way?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:

Yes, I think you will need a pad for the rear with a rock n roll bed just like a westy bed. Isn't the Z bed the same way?

The top of my z-bed sits basically flush with the deck. will keep you posted if/when I swap.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you need to use a pad anyway to make the rear part not hard as a rock anyway? Do you just use a big pad that goes over the deck and seat pads?
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. works in pinch w/o a pad, but I'd never plan to go camping or a roadtrip w/o something to even it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: