Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are there any a/c kits that'll work with dual carbs?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Are there any a/c kits that'll work with dual carbs? Reply with quote

I was recently thinking about how nice it would be if I had air conditioning in my 73 Super. It currently has a 2007 cc engine with dual Weber 44 IDFs. I don't know much about the air conditioning kits, but is there enough room in the engine bay for the compressor and the dual carbs?

It would be nice.....

Thanks,
-Nick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guy's make the best kits i have found:
http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try auto wreckers for an autostick superbeetles. My 1973 Super had it stock and you could probably find all the factory parts cheap. Just a thought.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any a/c kits that'll work with dual carbs? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I was recently thinking about how nice it would be if I had air conditioning in my 73 Super. It currently has a 2007 cc engine with dual Weber 44 IDFs. I don't know much about the air conditioning kits, but is there enough room in the engine bay for the compressor and the dual carbs?

It would be nice.....

Thanks,
-Nick

Please check my ad and some videos:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=784758
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any a/c kits that'll work with dual carbs? Reply with quote

vwtaiwan wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

It would be nice.....

Thanks,
-Nick

I checked out your website and was wondering if you will ever have anything for a 73 Super Beetle? Other than the pieces you sell, what else is needed to get air conditioning in my car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must rethink sturgeongeneral's post. something is fishy here. there were no factory a.c.'s. so there will be no factory parts available. all were add on's usually installed by the dealer.
Stuggi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, compressor design has come a long way since the 70's, so it's a good idea to look at modern compressors as they draw much less power than the older ones.

Orange VW Fest!
Pulled out of a Lake Fest!
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any a/c kits that'll work with dual carbs? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
vwtaiwan wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

It would be nice.....

Thanks,
-Nick

I checked out your website and was wondering if you will ever have anything for a 73 Super Beetle? Other than the pieces you sell, what else is needed to get air conditioning in my car?

There is super beetle original A/C Evaporator that mount inside the front trunk. BUT it is hard to find.
I recommend you use SANDEN V-Belt #505 Air conditioner Compressor because it is smaller and lighter.
Also need to take care of pulley ratio, normally use as small as possible on the extra crank pulley.
Dirt Sailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuggi wrote:
Also, compressor design has come a long way since the 70's, so it's a good idea to look at modern compressors as they draw much less power than the older ones.

Assuming these a/c units use refrigerant, the older ones would have used R-12. I can't remember off the top of my head, but a couple of years ago R-12 was going for double digits per ounce. It's heavily restricted because it supposedly depletes the ozone. I don't recall what the new units use (I know, my memory sucks) but it's cheaper and is suppose to be easier on the enviroment. So you might be able to find an old unit cheap, you'll end up spending a lot of money getting it charged.

Go Navy!
Cuog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt Sailor wrote:
Stuggi wrote:

Assuming these a/c units use refrigerant, the older ones would have used R-12. I can't remember off the top of my head, but a couple of years ago R-12 was going for double digits per ounce. It's heavily restricted because it supposedly depletes the ozone. I don't recall what the new units use (I know, my memory sucks) but it's cheaper and is suppose to be easier on the enviroment. So you might be able to find an old unit cheap, you'll end up spending a lot of money getting it charged.

I think its R34 that's the new stuff. A lot of old units can use the new stuff with minimal modification. Word has it that R-12 gets colder, but I've seen no evidence in support or opposition to that claim. Before buying, I'd check to see if you'll be able to run the new stuff. From what I've heard from not terribly reliable sources is that R-12 is pretty much only available as NOS and the price will only go up as stockpiles go down.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r 134 is what you're thinking of Wink
The Noof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuog wrote:
Dirt Sailor wrote:
Stuggi wrote:

I think its R34 that's the new stuff. A lot of old units can use the new stuff with minimal modification. Word has it that R-12 gets colder, but I've seen no evidence in support or opposition to that claim. Before buying, I'd check to see if you'll be able to run the new stuff. From what I've heard from not terribly reliable sources is that R-12 is pretty much only available as NOS and the price will only go up as stockpiles go down.

Any system that uses R12 can be converted to R134.If it's a virgin system, nothing but a compatible lubricant has to be added, and either a pressure sensitive or full time fan on the condensor.
1badghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those brakcets...
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDOG57 wrote:
These guy's make the best kits i have found:
http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/

X2------Ed will work with you for special applications.
Just keep in mind that this is the season that keeps them busy.
Marvin
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about those Taiwan made bracket kits.The bracket setup looks good,but the drive pulley looks too small.Watch the video,the a/c compressor is turning too slow.You won't get evaporator saturation at those slow compressor speeds.It needs a bigger drive pulley.Idle pressures should be about 30-40 psi low side,and 150-250 high side.
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pulley size looks similar to every other AC pulley Ive seen. I think the slow appearance of the compressor is due to the frames per second of the video clip. I can see the crank pulley turning too.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right.I would have to see one in person.
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDOG57 wrote:
I don't know about those Taiwan made bracket kits.The bracket setup looks good,but the drive pulley looks too small.Watch the video,the a/c compressor is turning too slow.You won't get evaporator saturation at those slow compressor speeds.It needs a bigger drive pulley.Idle pressures should be about 30-40 psi low side,and 150-250 high side.

The reason we use small pulley because some of cars are running bigger than W120 cam shaft. In our pulley ratio, you won't have rough idle and still get cool air form you A/C when idle or stop a trafic light. Once you start to drive and you will have correct pressure.

We also provide bigger pulley, if request.

By the way, there are some lags on my degital camera.
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry vwtaiwan,i did not take in account for video gaps.I do like your kits,and am thinking of purchasing one.I like the idea of having two belts instead of one.Problem is i would like to run the mechanical fuel pump.
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello GDOG57 ,
Stock fuel pump is very nice, but I can't find better location for A/C. Any better idea?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: