Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack? Reply with quote

Anybody used one? I saw one I liked (can't remember the name at the moment). It had a built in ramp, and locked the bike in via the footpegs. My bike is only 260 lbs., so it's not much of a load. I would love to have the bike along for quick grocery runs without tearing down camp and packing up the family. Also could come in handy for self-rescue, given my EVC's current reliabilty. Or total lack thereof!

Just wondering what the thoughts are out there on this solution. I would prefer it to a trailer, if folks have had good luck with them.

Thanks as always!

Last edited by Kuhlbox on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack? Reply with quote

Kuhlbox wrote:
Anybody used one? I saw one I liked (can't remember the name at the moment). It had a built in ramp, and locked the bike in via the footpegs. My bike is only 260 lbs., so it's not much of a load. I would love to have the bike along for quick grocery runs without tearing down camp and packing up the family. Also could come in handy for self-rescue, given my EVC current reliabilty. Or total lack thereof!

Just wondering what the thoughts are out there on this solution. I would prefer it to a trailer, if folks have had good luck with them.

Thanks as always!

i've had one on my truck and i hated it, get a small trailer it will be much easier to drive around with. with the engine in there rear already and 20yo worn down suspension even with a 260 lb dirt bike you'll most likely find yourself scraping or banging something. my truck was worn down and had 33" A/Ts on it and it made it handle like crap, like scarey bad.

if i were gonna do it, i'd do it on the front, and i'd beef up suspension first, but considering the level of effort, i'd get a trailer. it will be less work for your van, and you'll be able to haul like 3 bikes at once.

if you're really hard up you can take out the seats and just put it in the back, i just did that last week Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Kuhlbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a '97 EVC, so the engine is in the front. I was thinking about the sag caused by the weight, though. I think the low weight of 260 lbs., coupled with the short arm from the rear axle to the load would keep the effect pretty minimal. I might have to tweak the headlights a little, not sure.

What problems did you have with yours?
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuhlbox wrote:
Well, I have a '97 EVC, so the engine is in the front. I was thinking about the sag caused by the weight, though. I think the low weight of 260 lbs., coupled with the short arm from the rear axle to the load would keep the effect pretty minimal. I might have to tweak the headlights a little, not sure.

What problems did you have with yours?

just the general sag was really annoying, and the bike bounced a lot. it also kills your clearance on driveways and such. i scraped a few times on mine and my truck had a 4" lift. the rack may have stuck out more than some. if you get one, get the one that clamps on to the pegs instead of only relying on straps.

still, i'd do a trailer. in the long run it's easier to deal with. less hassle to hitch, and like i said, you can carry any bike or more than one. i'm used to pulling a loaded dump trailer with a 25 foot long F350, so for me a vw van and a 3 rail bike trailer is a walk in the park.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack? Reply with quote

Kuhlbox wrote:
Anybody used one?

Here are some photos of my motorcycle carrier. It was used many thousands of miles on a 2wd westy, and more to come on a Syncro. It's homebuilt, obviously. I'll paint it someday. Stock springs. the bike in the photo weighs 270 lbs. Other bikes I've carried (XR600) weigh 300 lbs.

With the strap going to the hatchback hinge it's rock solid, no movement. The vans headlights point up a bit.

Putting the bike on is easy, one person I roll it up a ramp then hang the top strap (from the hinge). Then I drop the "T" section in, just behind the front wheel. The ratchet-tie to the footpeg is angled back slightly, so when tightened down, it pulls the tire against the "T". The T is pinned in place with a spring-pin (in photo there is a bolt+nut) and then the ratchet ties pull each forkleg down (at the triple-clamp).

I have a trailer too and when carrying only one bike,,,,of course it's nice to have it on the back. I have a brakelights harness that I velcro to the motorcycle wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to do this with a scooter, but that just "seems like too much weight hanging out there off the back. That much weight that far from the center of balance fore/aft seems like it would lead to a bouncy rear.

Okay, that sounded odd. Confused

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TN'G 49cc scooter with a wicked hot expansion chamber carbon fiber exhaust, Michelin tires, and a bigger variator, all that means is this: it'll fly. 75mph. Big drama on 10" tires.

It rolls nicely into my Westy and just fits. It makes for a great pit bike at motorcycle races, great for beer and grocery runs at campgrounds, and it's street legal in NC with no tag or insurance required.

It's fun to be a hooligan.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch-mounted motorcycle rack? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'll paint it someday. ................
Putting the bike on is easy, one person I roll it up a ramp then hang the top strap (from the hinge).
Then I drop the "T" section in, just behind the front wheel. The ratchet-tie to the footpeg is angled back slightly,
so when tightened down, it pulls the tire against the "T". The T is pinned in place with a spring-pin
(in photo there is a bolt+nut) and then the ratchet ties pull each forkleg down (at the triple-clamp).

It slips into two sockets for rigidity.

And it's painted, finally. After thousands of miles, many weekends of dirtbikin' and 3 years of modifications, for faster, better, easier, more ground clearance, the design has settled down for PAINT. Also for the rust to etch the steel so the paint would stick better Wink .

The Black parts on the ground weighs 28 lbs.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not strong enough, well, it was rocking to much so i modified mine to that:

The yellow arrow shoes what was added to reinforce the ramp:

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has one on the front:

http://home.earthlink.net/~johndolsen/index.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
He has one on the front:

http://home.earthlink.net/~johndolsen/index.html

Has this van sold?

I think this website has been on for more than I had my westy for.

Over 5 years or so?

JP
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
That was not strong enough, well, it was rocking to much so i modified mine ------ Ben

Hi Ben,

Very nice, saves a lot of time by buying something already made, and improve it as necessary. The Aluminum looks lightweight, which is more important than you might think, you will be thankful as time goes on. Especially when you have to put the thing inside your van it reduces the risk to the cabinets. I have a friend who made a heavy one. He is SORRY.

I had a hard time getting rid of the "front-back slop". I found that I had to 'take it up' by pulling the bike toward the van with a strap at the top (to the hatchback hinge). This carrier in my pictures above, is the 3rd iteration. I tried each time to eliminate the strap at the top. Each time it came back.

Also I made a square tattoo once on some guy's front license plate once (with a tiedown mount at the bottom, below the motorcycle). It could have been expensive...it is a risk. And several times I made little dings in my shin. And then somebody else made a ding in her shin, and the 'low-mount' had to be banished after that. So I decided to move the triangulation mounting points upward away from painted bumpers and grilles and shins.

Thanks everyone for the pictures & links! I always appreciate when a search provides good information.

Tom

bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the GoWesty big bumpers with the built in reese attachment on back.

Harbor Freight or Northern Tools has a carrier that locks in for roughly $200.

I'm probably going to start hauling my '77 XL-125 Honda on it. It weighs all of 243 lbs. It shouldn't make much difference in handling or performance of my slug of a Westfalia.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi Ben,

Very nice, saves a lot of time by buying something already made, and improve it as necessary. The Aluminum looks lightweight, which is more important than you might think, you will be thankful as time goes on. Especially when you have to put the thing inside your van it reduces the risk to the cabinets. I have a friend who made a heavy one. He is SORRY.

I had a hard time getting rid of the "front-back slop". I found that I had to 'take it up' by pulling the bike toward the van with a strap at the top (to the hatchback hinge). This carrier in my pictures above, is the 3rd iteration. I tried each time to eliminate the strap at the top. Each time it came back.

Tom

Yea, the ramp was 200$ or so, very light aluminum ramp. But it was rocking to much (left-righ-up-down), the total weight now must be around 60 pound + the Sherpa at 250 pounds.

I will also add 2 security strap on each side for long trip, i made special ratchet tie that hook to the roof/pop top hinges and to thew bike.

Just for safety...

Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
the total weight now must be around 60 pound

How much does the part that comes off weigh? ie the parts that you have to carry up to the van, prior to loading a motorcycle?

ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:

How much does the part that comes off weigh? ie the parts that you have to carry up to the van, prior to loading a motorcycle?

About 60, if you mean the ramp/hitch.
Maybe 70, not sure.

Ben
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now thinking of doing the same thing...

Does anyone know if the GoWesty rear bumper with hitch carrier is strong enough to carry a motorcycle + carrier?
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: rear holder Reply with quote

Ben, where did you get the aluminum rear bike holder?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Sodo wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:

About 60, if you mean the ramp/hitch.
Maybe 70, not sure.

Ben

Hi Ben,

60 lbs seems like a lot! If each time you have to carry 60 lbs to the van, then attach it,,,,, I think you will not be happy.
Are you sure that Aluminum part weighs 60, 70 lbs? (~20% of motorcycle weight)? (It looks like ~18 lbs to me)

Tom

SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this answer my previous question

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: