Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever run Royal purple engine oil?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just waded through this and many of the other posts and pehaps I missed some basic things so be kind Wink

Would this not do exactly what is required? The Syntec Classic blend...
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644#top

And for those adding the STP Red, how much per change? Whole bottle?

Thanks guys...

RJ
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tozovr wrote:
I just waded through this and many of the other posts and pehaps I missed some basic things so be kind Wink

Would this not do exactly what is required? The Syntec Classic blend...
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7032644#top

And for those adding the STP Red, how much per change? Whole bottle?

Thanks guys...

RJ

The Syntec Classic blend supposedly meets both SM and GF-4, which I think would limit its zinc to .08%.

Castrol's turbo diesel oil supposedly has .13 % zinc though. Where to find it is the question.
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interesting to see as the site linked has this asterisked
Quote:
* SYNTEC 20W–50 does not meet the catalyst compatibility requirements of vehicles manufactured since 1993.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long ago I spoke with a gal named Lisa over at Castrol and she said the Castrol Syntec 20/50 has 1200 PPM of zinc in the formula.
That was the "rough " estimate she could give me...propriatory secret prevented her from revealing any other information on the zinc content.

She did warn me that because the synthetic formula has such cleaning abilities...any oil leaks would most likely become more severe because the detergents will clean away any gunk that has acted as a "plug".

I found she was kinda iffy on answering questions about using it on a rebuilt motor but she was quite sure it was OK for an original motor.

Calling around and speaking with engine builders quite a few of them said that one half bottle of STP red in an oil change would give you about the same results as the Synthetic oils would and the cost was no where near the cost of the Castrol Syntec 20-50.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.buyersguide.com/EngineOil/Automotive/pdf/CastrolSYNTEC.pdf

Scroll down and look for the 20w-50, its meets SM and GF-4 standards. I was able to find the zinc content for other Castrol oils, but I could not find the data sheet for the 20w-50.

This website gives information on the standards as of 2004. I assume that the information is still relevant.

http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000229004.cfm

Option 2, the chosen option, limits zinc to .08% for GF-4 compliant oils.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the additive is used at oil change time wouldn't the filter remove some,after all it is a 'Zinc' particle isn't it??
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the zinc isn't floating around by itself. It's a component of the molecule ZDDP, which is in solution. Z and P make up this compound, which is why you always see the elemental Z and P go up or down together. When two metal surfaces come in direct contact, this compound has the unique property of reacting to that by plating the surfaces with zinc. The P is freed in that reaction, presumably.

The ZDDP is in the oil and gets used up bit by bit. The content in the oil determines how long the oil can be used while still having sufficient anti-scuff protection. When it is in too low a concentration that protection diminishes and then when scuffing occurs there is damage to the surfaces. Once the smooth finish is marred, the damage tends to continue at that site, snowballing.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. Back in Feb. of 2008 when this thread started. Stan, known here as Multimac posted an article from his local newspaper about a company that sells oil with high z& p content for classic cars . The website says it is not to be used on a vehicle with a catalytic converter. Stan said back in 2008 that he would use this Hi-Z classic motor oil in his Vanagon. That it is cheaper to replace the Cat. than an engine. Stan / Multimac, if you are still out there, how is the Hi-Z classic working out for your van ? www.motorheadoil.com Anyone use this oil before? What do you think...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagebus wrote:
Hey all. Back in Feb. of 2008 when this thread started. Stan, known here as Multimac posted an article from his local newspaper about a company that sells oil with high z& p content for classic cars . The website says it is not to be used on a vehicle with a catalytic converter. Stan said back in 2008 that he would use this Hi-Z classic motor oil in his Vanagon. That it is cheaper to replace the Cat. than an engine. Stan / Multimac, if you are still out there, how is the Hi-Z classic working out for your van ? www.motorheadoil.com Anyone use this oil before? What do you think...

We all ran high zinc for decades with little damage to the cats. With all the debate on zinc I don't remember ever reading anything that mentions what it really takes to cause the cat to malfunction significantly. For all I know you might have to burn through several hundred quarts of high zinc oil before significant damage occurs.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know the zinc content of Royal Purple 10-30, or 10-40? I've been contemplating using it in the 1600 build I'm starting for my beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Anyone happen to know the zinc content of Royal Purple 10-30, or 10-40? I've been contemplating using it in the 1600 build I'm starting for my beetle.

Id be willing to venture a guess that if you were contact Royal Purple directly they would give you some usefull information Very Happy
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

If you can find out the zinc content from the manufacturer, you can modify it with an additive to bring it up to the levels you want. Use the SEARCH for ZDDP, there is lots of discussion on this. It is easy and inexpensive. You can use the calculator spreadsheet I made to help figure out how much of what to add.

http://www.westfalia.gomez-perales.com/Documents/ZDDP.xls
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Castrol Syntec 20/50 supposedly has enhanced ZDDP levels - they even claim the oil is appropriate for "Classic Cars" with flat tappets. I ran Royal Purple for a while and I noticed very stable oil pressure, more so than with Castrol "High Mileage" non-synthetic oil. I have stuck with Syntec because of the ZDDP thing and the price isn't too bad compared to Royal Purple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
I ran Royal Purple for a while and I noticed very stable oil pressure, more so than with Castrol "High Mileage" non-synthetic oil. I have stuck with Syntec because of the ZDDP thing and the price isn't too bad compared to Royal Purple.

Royal purple is expensive, but I've heard great things about it. Right now I'm torn between Syntec and RP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: