Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bus with wide five
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

will a wide five drum fit my 71 bus with disc brakes and maintain the correct offset or is there a better way of doing this. I want to add a set of radar wheels and still keep it lowered with the rear tires tucked in the fenders.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

the wide 5 won't work on the back it's a totally different arrangement!and how about the front!unless you use an adapter there is no way! there goes the offset?the only other way is to convert to the 68 to 70 front brakes and spindles and the 68 to 70 rear brakes hardly worth the hassle just to get those radars on there and have crappy brakes!!steve
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

My friend used adapters to put a set of Empi 5spokes on his 77 there bout 1/2in thick so did'nt throw the offset of to bad.Tire size is critical for the rear maby 185s? I have a 71Deluxe I want to put a set of polished"cookie cutters" on. After talking to the folks at Wolfgang Int. and others come to the conclusion I will only be able to use these rims w/adapters, my alternative,Porche drums,rotors,spindles,etc. a little out of my budget.I still may have to "clearence" the rims or use some creative engineering to use these rims. I do know that Fuch's will fit w/ the adapters and no probs. (anything under 7in. width) Hope this helps.DavidK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

Ive got a 71 westy, and was told that the wheel offset was 5 on 230mm pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmx2c4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

5 x 130 is porsche, the bus is prob. 5 x 112 which is only like audi turbo cars and mercedes..... you'll be in for some work or $ to get custom wheels on a 71-79 bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

The bolt pattern on the 71 is 5x112 I used
a set of mercedes 15" alloys off a 93 320E
they fit fine in terms of offset,the minor modification needed was to drill out the wheel stud holes cause the bus uses 14.mm
studs and the Mercedes uses 12.mm studs, this
also helps if you are still running the .538 002 trans, you should go to .488 091 to keep
the rpms a little lower on the fwy.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

I saw an ad for a place that will take a rear drum and drill it for Wide 5s for a Bay. I want to put Sprint Stars on my Bay but they are only wide 5.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

If you go to www.customspeedparts.com
they have five spoke Empi rims that bolt on
to your bus. The bolt pattern for the 71-79
Bay is 5-112,it is the same for most all Vanogons.
peace out
r10_vw
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

I have seen some of the "tight 5" bays running the 5 spoke Carat rims off of the Vanagons and they look pretty good. I think they bolt right up.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

glandnut said... (3/28/2003 at 6:09AM PST)

"I have seen some of the "tight 5" bays running the 5 spoke Carat rims off of the Vanagons and they look pretty good. I think they bolt right up."

Yep, thats what I have on my 78. They do look pretty good if I do say so myself. www.gowesty.com has them for sale in their tire and wheel section. $100 a piece used I think. Brand new they are $400 a piece...Ouch
http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scre...heelstires
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

That's $399 a WHEEL!

Can't you just get an undrilled rear drum and have it drilled for Wide Fives, then get the CSP kit and use their rotors in front for Wide Fives?
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

Holy cow, I'm gonna start gankin Vanagon wheels to fund my next ride!!!
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: 71 bus with wide five Reply with quote

glandnut said... (3/28/2003 at 12:50PM PST)

Holy cow, I'm gonna start gankin Vanagon wheels to fund my next ride!!!

Yeah I was pretty happy about buying my bus with them already on after I found out how much they were worth! GoWesty used to have them used but I guess people in the know snatced them right up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: