Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Added Value of O.E. Engine?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Added Value of O.E. Engine? Reply with quote

So, I got my 'Birth Certificate' for my car the other day and, it confirmed that my engine is the original one that came with the car. YAY! Very Happy
(took about 5 weeks, and cost $45.50)

My question is, how much, if any, value does this add to the car?

I know this doesn't mean as much in the VW world, as it does in other car collecting/hobby communities but, shouldn't count for something...?

These engines get swapped so often that it seems it would be more rare to find an OE engine.

I know a lot depends on the level of restoration, and what your going for...all original, custom,etc... I am just asking in general.

I am not a purest but my car is mostly O.E. with a re-paint and new interior but lowered. When it comes time for a re-build, I will either do a mild hop-up of the O.E. motor. Or set it in the corner of the garage and start with a new block and go to a 1915cc or something. But I am leaning towards keeping the O.E. case in the car.

Please share your opinions/comments!!! Very Happy
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value is almost entirely in the bragging rights. An unstamped NOS replacement case is almost as desirable as the original case, especially if your Ghia was originally equipped with an H case. There's an unstamped NOS case in the classifieds for $600. Still it's very nice to have the original case, congratulations.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i bought my ghia it had a seized engine. i believe it was the original but we put in a SB engine instead. i still have the case though.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your car is a perfect show car, IMO numbers matching doesn't mean much. Things like rust and prior collision damage are much more important to a buyer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ghia has the original engine too. The plan is to build a mild 1800 motor but keep the original. Later I will rebuild the 1300 but not install it.
For me the original engine is a "nice to have" but a car that goes really well has more appeal. If I should ever sell this one I'll let the the next guy have the OG motor and keep the 1800 for something else,

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
tondemonai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a low light? I don't have original original engine, but I still have an 1200 32hp. According to the number, it's a 1960 engine, in the 1957 body. Would keeping the 1200 (I'm keeping the car stock) be worse than putting a 1500 or 1600 engine in it?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value of having the original engine increases with the age of the car. 1974 Ghia + original engine = Rolling Eyes 1955 ghia with original engine = Shocked

Having the original engine is icing on the cake for an otherwise nice car. For example, my '52 bug has the original engine, but the rest of the car is such a POS that it doesn't really matter Smile
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tondemonai wrote:
What about a low light? I don't have original original engine, but I still have an 1200 32hp. According to the number, it's a 1960 engine, in the 1957 body. Would keeping the 1200 (I'm keeping the car stock) be worse than putting a 1500 or 1600 engine in it?

Well who knows?? There really isn't a definative answer to this, as it only becomes an issue when you come to sell.

Lowlight matching numbers may be the "Holy Grail" to someone looking for a concours show car; to others, nice to have but not essential; and again to someone who wants a stylish Sports Coupe that goes as good as it looks...positively horrendous.

My '58 came with a replacement 1200 40hp engine with a Big Bore Kit (1385cc). I had that rebuilt rather than resorting to spec with a rebuilt 36hp 1200. My reason was I wanted to keep the continuity of the car's history...and it's a good base for a period "hop-up."

If the original engine is gone...it's gone for good, you can't change that. Do what you want, enjoy it and forget about what will make you more money when you come to sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, I'd say it adds quite a bit of value to the vehicle. And may make it quite a bit easier to register for roadway use in some places, where documents are checked for this sort of thing and a paper trail for engine number corresponding with a chassis number is important.
InSaNeBoY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donno kinda of nice knowing I have the OE engine in my ghia(got the birth cert from VW to back that up)... and knowing from PO info (I'm 3rd owner, 2nt was my dad, 1st owner lived one town away...)

in any case I know my engine/trans is OE and neither have ever been rebuilt. Cool and i know my 77K mi is actual as well. Carb on the other hand... not OE Mad

*ghialess*
vdubzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just picked up a 60 ghia with the original 36 hp engine. i am planning on just keeping it stock.
74 beetle

current reigning president, albuquerque air alliance / rt 66 air-cooled vw club

Look for us on Facebook
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
tondemonai wrote:

Well who knows?? There really isn't a definative answer to this, as it only becomes an issue when you come to sell.

Lowlight matching numbers may be the "Holy Grail" to someone looking for a concours show car; to others, nice to have but not essential; and again to someone who wants a stylish Sports Coupe that goes as good as it looks...positively horrendous.

My '58 came with a replacement 1200 40hp engine with a Big Bore Kit (1385cc). I had that rebuilt rather than resorting to spec with a rebuilt 36hp 1200. My reason was I wanted to keep the continuity of the car's history...and it's a good base for a period "hop-up."

If the original engine is gone...it's gone for good, you can't change that. Do what you want, enjoy it and forget about what will make you more money when you come to sell it.

Lets hope things don't get to the point with VWs like they have with some other vintage cars. The situation with Corvettes is terrible. I think there are more big block '67 Corvettes registered in CA alone than Chevrolet ever produced. There are people restamping blocks and creating casting marks out of epoxy. Some are so good that "experts" can be fooled.

I have seen the blocks of cars inspected by experts with a jewelers eye piece trying to determine if a block stamp is just right.

Of course Chevrolet didn't help the situation. The production records for old Vettes were trashed years ago making it difficult to determine what equipment was delivered on a car - particularly any car produced before 1967.
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of vettes, I owned a '69 Vert purported to be an L88 tri carb, at the time valued at about $70,000 if it really was one. Unfortunately all the ways to prove it was an L88 were conspicuously missing and partly because of Chevy's lack of records. I got it for 10K from someone in bad financial straits so I figured I couldnt lose. Turned it a couple months later for 16K to a guy who thought it was the Holy Grail. Turns out he finally found out it wasn't an L88....
1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a restored '63 Split Window Coupe, and it does have the original numbers match 327 engine in it. Oddly enough, NCRS does accept a restamped block for Top Flight designation......

Eh?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I've got a restored '63 Split Window Coupe, and it does have the original numbers match 327 engine in it. Oddly enough, NCRS does accept a restamped block for Top Flight designation......

Eh?

I personally don't see a problem with a restamped block as long as it is not represented as something it isn't.

However I cannot see the reason for doing this if it is represented as a NOM. You open up the potential for problems when someone either forgets the car is not original or is intentinally misrepresents it later on down the line.

I had a personal experience in this regard. I purchased a vintage Corvette that was documented as a Bloomington Gold car. It turns out the documentation was faked. I am not sure who did it but fortunately for me the seller I purchased the car from ownned a Chevy dealership. I had assets to go after and it was difficult for him to claim he did not know any better. Also, as a licensed dealer, he was facing triple damges under state law for misrepresenting a used vehicle.

Needles to say he settled the lawsuit quickly for the dminished value of the car not being Bloomington Gold certified.

So how does this relate to a Ghia? Aside from Ghias being great cars, the VW hobby has not, for the most part, gotten to this level. Lets hope it stays that way.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:

So how does this relate to a Ghia? Aside from Ghias being great cars, the VW hobby has not, for the most part, gotten to this level. Lets hope it stays that way.

That is a very interesting point Nova. The real money in Vintage VWs revolves around early coachbuilts like Hebmullers, Barndoor Buses, Deluxe Sambas and early Beetles and Beetle 'Verts. In my opinion it's because of this website and the range and depth of expertise of many contributors, fakes are spotted and shot down at a very early stage. Add to that German efficiency in record keeping, you also have more safeguards.

If you were spending a large amount on a vintage VW and with questions to ask most people would come here. That in my opinion makes fakes in the VW world very much more difficult to carry off.

The Vintage American car world is so much larger and diverse it's easier to sneak a fake into the system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: